Why become a member? ×

Who really played bass for FGTH?

spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1504894136' post='3368183']
The Pleasuredome album credits Mark O'toole from the band and Trevor Horn. There's some nice basslines on it and I know Trevor's no slouch with four strings.
[/quote]

Or 5 for that matter.
Wasn't Normans bass sampled for "Relax" no idea but, O'toole was pretty handy when not drunk or otherwise engaged :)

If you don't know the story behind 'Relax' it's worth looking up, it has to be up there with the longest, most complex recordings ever made.

These days I suspect that Relax and possibly the whole album would be credited to 'Trevor Horn featuring Holly Johnson'.

Edit.

Nice clip about making Pleasuredome here.

http://youtu.be/jDhiYdFjFVU

Someone posted a much longer interview with Trevor Horn on here a while ago where he goes into a lot more detail, but I can't find that one.

Edited by Cato

The engineer who's name I don't remember now, but he later became a part of the art of noise, gave a guest lecture at Goldsmiths last year. He spoke a lot about this,

They'd been trying for ages to get the tracks to work, they'd had all sorts of session guys in, but it just didn't feel right. Apparently he stayed over late in the studio, messing about with various samples in the Fairlight, and he got a sequence running. Trevor Horn came back and loved it, the two of them spent the night then just improving and building on it.

Basically it's all sequenced Fairlight.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1504905007' post='3368274']
Yea, Mark was a good player no doubt, but i dont know anyone that could play Relax that tight.
This is the mutz...
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCEF4sYSiY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=AbCEF4sYSiY[/url]
[/quote]Just watched that - apols in absentia to Mark - he is a good player.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1504895145' post='3368193']
Norman Watt-Roy did a session for Trevor Horn where he laid down various tasty riffs that Horn sampled. Alot of these made it onto the classic FGTH hits.
[/quote]

Riffs?

I think you are seriously over-estimating what the Fairlight could do sampling-wise back in 1983/4 when FGTH's first album was recorded.

The individual notes might well have been NWR but the "performance", which is the important bit, will be whoever worked on the Page R for the bass part.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1505128507' post='3369607']
Riffs?

I think you are seriously over-estimating what the Fairlight could do sampling-wise back in 1983/4 when FGTH's first album was recorded.

The individual notes might well have been NWR but the "performance", which is the important bit, will be whoever worked on the Page R for the bass part.
[/quote]

J. J. Jeczalik.