Ex-Barefaced users?

53 replies to this topic

Poll: Ex-Barefaced users (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Why did you switch from Barefaced cabs?

1. I didn't like the build quality. (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

2. I didn't like the sound. (12 votes [32.43%])

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

3. I liked them, but I found something better (please comment below). (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

4. I just fancied a change. (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

5. The handles made me want to stab people. (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

6. I tried other stuff but went back to BF. (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:49 PM

I've been using Barefaced cabs for the last 5 years, having rocked an Ashdown rig for the preceding 10 years. My main motivation for the switch was the reduced weight, but I've been pretty happy with my Compact and Midget, used separately or together - a big improvement on the ABMs!

A recent online conversation with a well-respected BC member has caused me to wonder whether I should make a change in the cab department. My sensible self wants to lurk for cab bargains in the BC marketplace (I can always move them on if I end up hating them); the impulsive me wants to throw caution to the winds and order a £1,000 4-ohm cab.

So if you are a former BF user, please take my pitiful poll.

Notes
1. This is not an invitation to indulge in BF-hating.
2. If you have never gigged a BF cab, you should probably move along to another thread.
3. You are wasting your time recommending any cab with a tweeter in it.

Go!

Edited by JapanAxe, 08 September 2017 - 09:34 PM.

Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#2 Graham

Four strings good, five strings better

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

I had a first generation Compact, was very happy with it when paired with a Genz Streamliner, but I fancied a change back to EBS so swapped the Genz for a HD350.

I found that the bright control on the head did nothing with the compact and so sold it for a Neo 2x12, the HD350 is much happier paired with an EBS cab.
Basses by Lakland and G&L
Amps by EBS and Gallien-Krueger
D'addario strings, Cleartone cables

Experienced bassist available for session / dep work in the Sussex, Surrey and Kent area:
http://www.facebook....GrahamSmithBass

Bassist for Naked Bass - party covers for weddings, parties and corporate events
www.nakedbass.co.uk

#3 Mudpup

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Curry, bass stuff, bicycles, F1, Chelsea FC,

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

you need another option on that poll.....

"i thought i would try some other posh cabs so bought a few second hand but found they were no better than my BF ones so sold them on again"

I did exactly that - tried various flavours of Bergs, gigged them all once, found that they weren't any better sounding to my ears and then sold them straight on cos i preferred my Barefaceds. Lovely cabs though....

Edited by Mudpup, 08 September 2017 - 08:55 PM.

stuff.....
Fender Nate Mendel Precision, Musicman Stingray 2eq 1997, Sandberg PM4 Custom,
Gallien Krueger GT700RB, Ashdown ABM600 Evo iv and a couple of Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs

Feedback thread here http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

Playing live all over the South East of Englandshire in YELLOWHOUSE (Stadium rock in your local boozer!!!!)

http://www.lemonrock.com/yellowhouse1

http://www.facebook....s/221831483416/

#4 itsmedunc

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Only sold mine as I found that with PA support, I didn't need such a wonderful setup and bought an Ashdown MiBass 400w 1x10 combo. It does everything I need it to do and more but still hanker for my Midget and Compact back!
FEEDBACK http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

Olympic White Squier 1983 JV Precision
Westone Thunder 2 V2
Fender Jazz
Epiphone 335
Selmer Twin Bass 30
Ashdown Mibass 2.0 110 combo
Line 6 Amplifi 75
Behringer BD121
Barefaced FR800

Boss effects
Digital delay
ME50
ME33
Micro Rack Chorus Ensemble and Compressor

Behringer X18 desk
Soundcraft UI16

Always up for trades.

Email - itsmedunc@gmail.com

#5 walshy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostMudpup, on 08 September 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

you need another option on that poll.....

"i thought i would try some other posh cabs so bought a few second hand but found they were no better than my BF ones so sold them on again"

I did exactly that - tried various flavours of Bergs, gigged them all once, found that they weren't any better sounding to my ears and then sold them straight on cos i preferred my Barefaceds. Lovely cabs though....

Yep had a super twin, was excellent and loved it. Got bored bought other excellent cabs and then bought a Big Twin T a month or two ago from Alex. Sold all other cabs and now 100% Barefaced again. Do everything I need and more, including super light! If it ain't broke...
Modulus Flea Bass Pink Sparkle 1997 OG Flea model
Fender Flea Jazz
Dingwall Combustion 5'er FOR SALE
Shuker Rockinfreakasaurus build
Musicman Stingray FOR SALE

GK 2001RB
Barefaced Big Twin
Mesa Boogie 400+
Ampeg HLF 6x10
Aguilar DB112 Whitehot - FOR SALE

FEEDBACK - http://basschat.co.u...ack-for-walshy/

#6 Jack

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

I sold mine to go ampless. And then ended up with a pair of FR800s for, you know, ampness.

#7 discreet

The Enemy of Art

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,037 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

You need another option, 'I think Barefaced cabs are great, but I currently have no rig as I'm not gigging.'

#8 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

You missed the option of, "he borrowed my pickups and I never got them back"
See my feedback

#9 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Please note that I will not be pandering to minority interests by adding random extra reply options. Except one.

:mellow:
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#10 Steve Browning

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:None to speak of, beyond bass playing.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

I have always been a dyed in the wool 2x15 player and was using a Boogie diesel 2x15 (which I had used for over 25 years). I had wanted something lighter and (after a fair amount of consideration) bought a pair of Gen 2 Compacts..
They were ok but they just didn't seem very substantial and I didn't really think too highly of the build quality and the fact they were so shallow. I use an M-Pulse 600 and the rack hung out over the back of the cabs.

When Boogie brought out thir Subway series I went back to Boogie (where my heart has always been) and have been very happy with the change. BF are ok but weren't in any way outstanding to me and seemed poor value overall. For me, the Boogies are altogether superior in every way.
Fender Precision 1966 - Sunburst
Fender Precision 1971 - Sunburst
Fender Precision 1973 - Stripped (but was sunburst)
Fender Precision 1975 - Natural (maple fretless)
Fender Japan PB70US - Sunburst (Kent Armstrong Vintage P pickup)
Fender Japan PB70US - Sunburst (Kent Armstrong Vintage P pickup)
Fender Japan Precision A/E - Natural (fretless)
Fender Mexico Precision - Classic 50's - Sunburst (maple neck)
Fender Japan PB57US - Candy Apple Red (maple neck)

Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600
Mesa Boogie Bass 400
Mesa Boogie Subway 15 (x2)

#11 Paul S

Is this the custom member title?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
  • Interests:Music,other stuff.

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

My situation would be a different category as well - once I bought Barefaced cabs I haven't felt any desire to try anything else*. I bought a Compact soon after they were released, added a Midget, replaced those two with a Supercompact and now have two of those.

*slight fib, last year - might have been the year before - I was looking for a lightweight, powerful combo but found none to my liking.

#12 Merton

Warning: May Cause Drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

I sold my BF cabs because I needed money. I'm now in a situation where I want to get them back again - I have started the ball rolling with a One10 and I'm now weighing up the options of a Super Compact, a One10, a Two10 or a Four10....
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Back in the Day - weddings, functions, parties
Boogie Monsters - live music for little monsters

Merton's feedback

#13 Roland Rock

Insufferable Ballache

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

Barefaced have got me cornered; they are the only quality maker I know of who make cabs less than 13" deep, which is the gap under the stairs between the shoe tub and the wall where my amp gear must be stored.
Good job I like them!
Fingers>Wood&Tronics>Glockenklang>Barefaced>Ears

#14 super al

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

There's probably a few of us BF users looking at this thread and thinking 'WTF?'.
I've already made arrangements to be buried with my one 10s!

#15 chris_b

• Members
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Of course there will be ex-Barefaced players. People get divorced from Super Models as well, right?!

We all have a (different) sound that we prefer so no one piece of gear can work for everyone.

I don't do the "change for the sake of change" thing but, even so, it is a way of gaining experience and knowledge about bass gear.
Sadowsky~Lull~Fender~Aguilar~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

For Sale
Sadowsky RV5 http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

#16 gjones

Yer only as good as yer drummer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostMerton, on 09 September 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

I sold my BF cabs because I needed money. I'm now in a situation where I want to get them back again - I have started the ball rolling with a One10 and I'm now weighing up the options of a Super Compact, a One10, a Two10 or a Four10....

Like you, I needed the cash so sold my Compact. Then ,after some experimenting with cheaper alternatives (Hartke, Ashdown), I went and bought another Compact.

It ticks all the boxes, compact, light, loud, and whenever anyone records us, I'm always amazed at how great the bass sounds out front.

Edited by gjones, 09 September 2017 - 10:45 AM.

My Feedback http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=gjones

Fender Jazz, J-retro, GK MB500, Barefaced Compact

#17 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostPaul S, on 09 September 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

My situation would be a different category as well - once I bought Barefaced cabs I haven't felt any desire to try anything else*. I bought a Compact soon after they were released, added a Midget, replaced those two with a Supercompact and now have two of those.

Me neither until a recent conversation with another BC-er!

View Postchris_b, on 09 September 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Of course there will be ex-Barefaced players. People get divorced from Super Models as well, right?!

We all have a (different) sound that we prefer so no one piece of gear can work for everyone.

I don't do the "change for the sake of change" thing but, even so, it is a way of gaining experience and knowledge about bass gear.

Me neither, but it's the usual GAS thing - maybe this other bit of kit would be even better.

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#18 Jack

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostJapanAxe, on 09 September 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Me neither until a recent conversation with another BC-er!

What was your conversation? Just curious....

There's a standard 'pro' level of gear such as Ashdown, GK, etc and once you get above that into Barefaced and other boutique stuff, I don't really think that there is a 'better'. Different, sure. But could you look at something like one of Mike Arnopol's designs and say that was any better or worse than something that Greenboy did?

#19 chris_b

• Members
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostJapanAxe, on 09 September 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Me neither, but it's the usual GAS thing - maybe this other bit of kit would be even better.

I call that upgrading. Buying some gear that you know is better in some way to what you are currently using.

GAS just seems to be buying something new for the sake of it!
Sadowsky~Lull~Fender~Aguilar~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

For Sale
Sadowsky RV5 http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

#20 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostJack, on 09 September 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

What was your conversation? Just curious....

There's a standard 'pro' level of gear such as Ashdown, GK, etc and once you get above that into Barefaced and other boutique stuff, I don't really think that there is a 'better'. Different, sure. But could you look at something like one of Mike Arnopol's designs and say that was any better or worse than something that Greenboy did?

Somewhat paraphrased conversation:

Me: Seen an SVT 2 Pro for sale on BC, what's your experience of these?

Him: Great but stupidly heavy

Me: Wasn't entirely happy my rig was cutting it last Saturday, maybe need louder

Him: Maybe get some decent cabs, don't like BF build or sound

I then start surfing t'Interweb and find TKS 2126, instant GAS ensues, followed by realisation of how difficult it would be to try out one...

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#21 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

View Postchris_b, on 09 September 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

I call that upgrading. Buying some gear that you know is better in some way to what you are currently using.

GAS just seems to be buying something new for the sake of it!

So basically you have found a way to justify a large portion of your GAS!

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#22 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Love Barefaced, had many of their cabs, but I do many gigs with provided rigs and the ones where I used Ashdowns, both amps & cabs, were the ones that made me smile the most, so it made sense to go that way. I tried the Ashdown amps/Barefaced cabs and it was good, but I just prefer the sound of a full ABM set-up (BF do win in the weight/portability points tho). No criticism of BF though, fantastic company, fantastic products, am sure I`ll be back to BF at some point.
Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off September 2017 Activity:
Fri 01 - The Bierkeller, Bristol (supporting Ruts DC)
Sat 09 - Vic Bikers Pub, Coalville
Sat 23 - Kingfisher Club, Corby (supporting Ruts DC & Dept S)

Currently selling:
Fender 2002 US Precision, Fender Dee Dee Ramone Precision
Genuine Fender Precision Tort Scratchplate, fits US/MIM/MIJ
Ashdown RM610 Cab, Ashdown RM414 Cab (a 4ohm 410 with upgraded Eminence Beta speakers)

#23 colleya

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I have G2 and G3 compacts - rehearse with just the G3 and gig with both (more for 'width' than volume).

Typically I can't help thinking I might just like the two or four ten more. Can't justify the expense though. Anyone around Manchester thinking the opposite way and fancy a comparison?
Feedback

Jump The Shark - 80s pop with big guitars.

#24 FinnDave

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Bass, bass, and more bass.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

I am the original and still current owner of Super Twin serial number 001. It still brings a warm glow to my nether regions when I play through it. In fact, I used at last night's gig, with an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and Gibbo T Bird. Best bass sound I have ever had. I'll probably leave it to my daughters as a family heirloom!

The only cab I have bought since getting this one 4 years ago is the recent purchase of a Super Compact for those small gigs where the ST would be too big.
Bass player for The Wirebirds (funky psychedelic blues/rock).

Various basses, couple of amps, couple of speakers. Collection of part-used Plectrums.

Things for sale: Fender 60s Classic Jazz, Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II

Keeping it live, keeping it real.

The Wirebirds

Lemonrock

Live recordings

#25 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

I'm beginning to think:

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#26 FinnDave

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Bass, bass, and more bass.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Be realistic, Graeme, most of us have a few loose screws on this forum!
Bass player for The Wirebirds (funky psychedelic blues/rock).

Various basses, couple of amps, couple of speakers. Collection of part-used Plectrums.

Things for sale: Fender 60s Classic Jazz, Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II

Keeping it live, keeping it real.

The Wirebirds

Lemonrock

Live recordings

#27 dave_bass5

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

Had a Retro Two10 and felt it was too deep and lacking definition. Got a BB2 and found it was too deep and lacked the sort of mid range i wanted. Both sold and i moved on to a Vanderkley 1x15.

Nice cabs, both very light and good looking (the BB2 especialy) but just not my cup of tea. Even though the website made it seem like the BB2 was the best choice for me, it turned out it wasnt, by a long shot.

Id happily use a BB2 again if i had to though, i do miss the size and weight, but Im much more comfortable with what i have now.

"Maybe the Nazis wouldn't have been so hacked off if they weren't left hanging for all their high fives"

Gear List:
Fender Sanblasted P bass | Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 | SQUIER CV 60's P | Squier CV Jazz with Wizard 74's & Lakland JO neck
GK MB800 | MarkBass F1 LE | Vanderkley 115MN6 | Ashdown MAG 300 C-115 | Zoom 60B | VTBass DI | Darkglass VMT | TC Electronics Corona mini

My Photography flickr

#28 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

View Postdave_bass5, on 10 September 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Had a Retro Two10 and felt it was too deep and lacking definition. Got a BB2 and found it was too deep and lacked the sort of mid range i wanted. Both sold and i moved on to a Vanderkley 1x15.

Nice cabs, both very light and good looking (the BB2 especialy) but just not my cup of tea. Even though the website made it seem like the BB2 was the best choice for me, it turned out it wasnt, by a long shot.

I'd happily use a BB2 again if i had to though, i do miss the size and weight, but I'm much more comfortable with what i have now.

It's fair to say they don't all sound the same. I tried a BF 2x12 (can't remember which) belonging to another BC-er, with my Demeter head, and it seemed remarkably un-punchy to me!

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#29 LewisK1975

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Not an ex-user but I did swap from Super compacts to the retro two10.

I guess over the years I've got used to 'coloured' sounding cabs and the SC's were too transparent for me really.

If needs be I can plug straight into my TC BH250 thru the two10 and to my ears, it sounds bloody marvellous.
Bass Player for Last Flight to Pluto - www.lastflighttopluto.com

My Feedback here:- http://basschat.co.u...for-lewisk1975/

#30 JapanAxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostLewisK1975, on 13 September 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

If needs be I can plug straight into my TC BH250 thru the two10 and to my ears, it sounds bloody marvellous.

Looking back, there have been many occasions on which my BF cabs, alone or together, have sounded 'bloody marvellous' as you put it. I'm keeping them for now!

Posted Image FEEDBACK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users