Why become a member? ×

New book project

Burns-bass

Hi all, I'm about to start researching a book all about double bass and need to increase my library. This isn't so much about playing, technique etc (although useful) but about history and construction.

I know some of these books can be expensive and rare, but let me know what you might suggest as I certainly don't have a comprehensive list just yet.

This isn't a wanted ad (I have posted one), but about crowd sourcing appropriate sources.

I won't go into detail, but feel free to DM if you want to chat or have any recommendations etc.

One of my favourite books is "Looking at the Double Bass" by Raymond Elgar. 1967

"A reference dictionary of Double Bass makers of the world including the Italian makers with 160 illustrations of important bass instruments."

A picture of the cover of our copy is here: [url="https://www.bassbags.co.uk/looking-double-bass-raymond-elgar/"]https://www.bassbags.co.uk/looking-double-bass-raymond-elgar/[/url]

Good luck with your research and writing your book.

David.

Yeah I second - [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]A New History of the Double Bass! I happened to see one in a library and picked it up thinking it may be more relevant to classical but found it very informative and interesting. Excellent![/color][/font]

Fantastic. I've got the Brun book and I agree it's fantastic. Its actually quite rare. I've not managed to track down the Elgar book yet, but I'm sure I will.

Thanks for the kind words. The book is in development, so no structure yet just research. Will update in the new year when it's taken more shape.

Keep the recommendations coming people!

• 1 month later...

The Elgar book is one of 3 volumes he wrote about the double bass. I have that one and one of the other two. Can't recall the titles off the top of my head, but I'd like to complete the set sometime

Edited by neilp