Why become a member? ×

Hello from a Welsh guy in Witney

Quevlar

Just thought i would say hello and get some advice. Recently moved to Oxfordshire from South Wales due to wifey getting a job relocation. I am 44 and have never played bass guitar. I did dabble with electric guitar in my teens many moons ago but a combination of a broken collar bone and puberty as well as some other stuff and i just stopped playing. At the moment i don't own a bass although i will be looking to get one soon, quite like the look of the Epiphone Thunderbird black/goth. I like a lot of different music but am an 80's rocker at heart, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Aerosmith etc. are the main sort of bands i enjoy. Spend way too much time playing games on my pc and have recently been getting an itch to learn an instrument, i did have had a brief interest in drums back but in reality i don't have the space or budget to be buying a drum kit (not that i have 2 left hands, honest lol). Have always had an interest in bass guitar from watching Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Guy Pratt to name but a few. Hopefully it's not too late to start learning.
Was wondering as well if someone can help as seen there are a few members on here from Oxfordshire area, does anyone have any recommendations of a teacher around this way please (ideally OX28 area), am wanting to learn rock (ranging from Bon Jovi to Slipknot with a fair bit of Motley Crue in the middle) ? I'm thinking it would be better to get some lessons once i have a bass to be practicing on ?
Anyway, have waffled on for long enough now, lol. Going to have a read through some posts on here and hopefully pick up lots of advice. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Don't know about teachers round here, but welcome to Witney. There's a well-supported open blues jam on the last Sunday afternoon of each month at Fat Lil's on Corn Street which is a good place to meet people and have a play if you fancy it. I'm in OX29, bur most of our gigs are in Swindon (which is where I'm playing again tonight!)

Welcome Quevlar.

Beware the dreaded GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome will take up residence with you at some point after you've got your first bass and rig. Pretty soon you'll be looking at other basses, amps, cabs and all sorts of geeky stuff with raw lust whilst reaching for a remortgage application form.

It's inevitable. Just thought I should warn you. Heeheehee

Best of luck on your quest for the lower notes.

Thanks for the welcomes :)
@Finndave - I will definitely pop down to Fat Lils on 24th to have a look, have walked past that place a few times so will be an excuse to pop in and try one of the burgers there, lol.
@$pondonBassed - I have heard of this, i'm saying at the moment i will be happy once i have a bass and amp good enough practice with but i know that's b/s because i guess there is a plethora of unnecessary but awesome 'extras' one could invest in. I am afraid to go and look but no doubt would have by end of the night, lol.
@ped - Wow, small world. That school is not far from where the wifey works.

Hello from your old haunt of South Wales...
I used to go out with a girl who lived in Headington (many years back)
So I spent many weekends in Oxford & Oxfordshire

Definitely buy yourself a bass - spend just a bit less time pc gaming,
And learn some bass.... its fun. Get yourself a good starter bass.

These days, value for money basses are more numerous these days
Go in to a music shop and try as many as you can. See what feels more comfortable to play
Keep your eye on the marketplace here too - buying used can save you money,
Buy you a better bass for your budget, and you can usually trust BC members

Good luck and welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1505891208' post='3374943']
Just remembered to remind you - the Fat Lil's blues jam is this Sunday, starts about 4-ish. I should be there, ask anyone for Dave from the Wirebirds and they'll point me out. Long hair, beard, probably a Gibson Thunderbird or EB4 this month.
[/quote]

I'll be popping down, will ask for you to come say hello (not to leer at your thunderbird - honest lol). Wifey may be with me so not sure how long will be able to stay

Good to meet you this afternoon (I was approached by Quevlar as I walked down the street carrying a bass gig bag!). Hope you managed to get back, my band was second on, then I was asked to come back on later to play behind various people which was great fun. Didn't get away until gone seven.