Why become a member? ×

What do you do if you get overpaid at a gig ?

Les

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1505053505' post='3369139']
(grin) I joined a band at the same time as the drummer retired. He had been responsible for doing most of the booking.

Turned out he had been pocketing " a commission" from any cash gigs - usually an extra £50 in his pocket that we didn't know about.

....and then the cheeky bugger asked if he could rejoin the band about 6 months later!
[/quote]

This can also happen with dishonest agencies. Quoting one amount , collecting another and taking their % plus a little extra.

Blue

At my gig last Sunday afternoon we were paid at the end of the first set by someone, I don't know who she was, but she seemed at the time to be in charge. Then at the end of the gig the owner's son came up and offered us the same again, unaware that we'd already been paid. We just explained that we'd already been paid, it's a residency gig that we'd hate to lose, but none of us would dream of anything dishonest anyway.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1505458581' post='3371993']
Its always far more interesting when you get underpaid at a gig...
[/quote]

THIS happens all the time hehe

glad I live an 'interesting' life.

I remember arguing with the publican of our residency over ten bucks. In the end I told him he was a cheap bastard and to keep the ten bucks as it was obviously more important to him.
I could be this magnaminous because he always went home before closing, leaving his head barmaid to close up. Unbeknownst to him, she loved us and hated working for that stinge, so she would ALWAYS open up the bar, including the top shelf for us and our 'roadies' after load out hehe. Ah Michelle, you were the BEST !!

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1505534305' post='3372633']
THIS happens all the time hehe

glad I live an 'interesting' life.

I remember arguing with the publican of our residency over ten bucks. In the end I told him he was a cheap bastard and to keep the ten bucks as it was obviously more important to him.
I could be this magnaminous because he always went home before closing, leaving his head barmaid to close up. Unbeknownst to him, she loved us and hated working for that stinge, so she would ALWAYS open up the bar, including the top shelf for us and our 'roadies' after load out hehe. Ah Michelle, you were the BEST !!
[/quote]

Love it!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505178760' post='3370028']
This can also happen with dishonest agencies. Quoting one amount , collecting another and taking their % plus a little extra.

Blue
[/quote]

Par for the course on many agency gigs in the UK since the sixties right up to the present day.

My attitude has always been that if YOU agree to work for a price with the agency, what they get is down to them.
Sometimes it backfires! Did one gig at a military establishment where the man in charge was getting on our case over taking any breaks, since he was paying over a grand for the band....

We had negotiated a price of £600. Which we didn't actually tell him, but we did say we were receiving considerably less than the grand. He wound up sympathetic and we did our job - everyone happy. Would have liked to have heard the follow up call he had with the agency, if he bothered.

Edited by ivansc