Why become a member? ×

John East Preamp Earthing Question - those springs

Sean

Hi all

I've got an MMSR preamp in two basses (same circuits, same pickups). Both were professionally fitted. http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/bass/mmsr/mmsr-3-knob-3-band.html
The one has earthing issues, the other is absolutely fine.

Are the springs that sit under the upper/smaller stack knobs a critical part of the earthing of the circuits?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sean

I had a similar issue and contacted East-UK who sent me the springs in the post (when moving the treble pot on a J-Retro i was getting some earthing issues).
The springs are a solution from East to address a grounding issue with pots on the older pre-amps, i think all the new pre-amps have the springs fitted.
Maybe you have 2 pre-amps on either side of the solution date. Either way East-UK were great to deal with and the springs sorted my issues.

Hope this helps

[quote name='rmcki' timestamp='1505125949' post='3369581']
I had a similar issue and contacted East-UK who sent me the springs in the post (when moving the treble pot on a J-Retro i was getting some earthing issues).
The springs are a solution from East to address a grounding issue with pots on the older pre-amps, i think all the new pre-amps have the springs fitted.
Maybe you have 2 pre-amps on either side of the solution date. Either way East-UK were great to deal with and the springs sorted my issues.

Hope this helps
[/quote]
That makes a lot of sense.
Definitely different versions of the same preamp as the hardware is different with some components.
I've contacted John East through the website form but have not yet had a response.
I'll update here when I get a response.

Edited by Sean

• 2 weeks later...

This is now sorted.
I contacted John East and he sent me some springs and the earthing issue is solved!
Fabulous customer service and reinforces my advice about buying products from manufacturers where you can speak to "the man"; East, Barefaced, Shuker, etc.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1506408389' post='3378436']
This is now sorted.
I contacted John East and he sent me some springs and the earthing issue is solved!
Fabulous customer service and reinforces my advice about buying products from manufacturers where you can speak to "the man"; East, Barefaced, Shuker, etc.
[/quote]

Great service isn't it :D , glad you go it sorted.