Flats & FOH Sound

5 replies to this topic

#1 The59Sound

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

I changed over to La Bella flats 12 months ago after years of playing rounds and love the change. I play in a classic rock/blues band and flats just nail the sound IMO.

I will mention I struggled to cut through the first few gigs because I was still learning how to EQ properly with flats. I play a Jazz bass and rolling the bridge pup off a little helped bring the mids up for a bit more bite.

After the first couple of gigs I put a BDI21 in my chain and that really improved things with a little bit of grit to my sound really tightening it up.

So anyone who uses flats - next time you're at a soundcheck, bump up the mids and use a low gain OD/DI box to add a touch of grit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. :)

#2 dannybuoy

Fingering Am

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

The best box I've found for pairing with a P + flats is the Aguilar Tonehammer. Just the right kind of breakup with the AGS on, sounds perfect right into headphones or PA. Check one out if you get the chance!

#3 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

i found it with Chromes on a Jazz thru the Ampeg SCR-DI
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham"

#4 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

I find my '71 Precision with Chromes, to my Markbass LM800 (flat eq) is perfect tone!
I never quite liked Jazz basses with flats, had a '73 Jazz that I had Roto flats on a few years ago, just didn't work for me!

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Lakland | Fender | Markbass | Barefaced

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#5 AntLockyer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Interests:Biker

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Ti flats, 62 P bass, EBS head set flat = perfect

#6 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Basses, guitars and singing in equal doses, drawing and painting, astronomy, attempting to be a responsible parent

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

I used a P with La Bella flats at a recent blues weekender gig using the supplied backline ( a nondescript but reasonably effective 1x15 combo ).

The guy before me had a Gibson Thunderbird with rounds, which sounded great, growly and punchy.

I was relieved to plug the P in and get a really lovely smooth punchy old school bass sound too!

I like the idea of adding a touch of grit tho - bet that sounds quite valvey and hot.

Edited by bassbiscuits, 10 September 2017 - 10:38 PM.

View my feedback here: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2973577

Instruments: Fender 1970 Precision, Epiphone Jack Casady, Yamaha BB604, plus some electric and acoustic guitars and harmonicas
Amplifiers: Aguilar and Schroeder cabs, Markbass and Fender amps
Other: Various fingers, thumbs, tapping feet, nods, winks, desperate facial expressions and often wildly-ambitious cues to the drummer…

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users