Why become a member? ×

Hi all from Cambridge, UK

nilebodgers

Hi Folks,

Just about to start firing up my old bass after a very long lay off (15+ years) from playing in various dodgy amateur bands. A career change meant I was working on the production side with pro musicians on a regular basis and being exposed to their playing meant I couldn't bear to pick up my own instruments as I was so rubbish. And then life got busy...

I am getting twitchy to start playing again so I just dug my poor old Yam BB1100s out of storage - oh dear, neck like a hockey stick and badly corroded frets. Needs a bit of work before I can play it. I've got pretty handy at instrument teching though, so not a problem. Here it is -
[attachment=253352:yam_bb1100s.jpg]

My ampage is pretty old / random too - a Trace GP12SMX 4x10 combo that I have never played through (long story - it's in a flightcase, great condition, sounds fantastic but is too heavy to lift), a Peavey 410TX (heavy, very battered and sad looking collecting spiders in the shed) and an old TC RH450 (a blown-up warranty write-off that was fixed later) that I got for free recently.

I'll fix my bass up and see if I can make the Peavey+TC work as an amp solution until I see if the playing is going to stick. Might need a modern smaller lighter cab if I'm playing seriously as my back isn't what it was. Lightweight amps+cabs weren't a thing when I was playing before, so I'm keen to see what can be done now.

I used to like my Yam bass though, I bought it s/h after A-B-ing one against a USA Jazz and USA Precision (at the old Wapping London Bass Centre) and it played and sounded better than either IMO. Of course, it's worthless now - a USA Fender would have appreciated in value in the 18 years I've had it.

Looking forward to getting going again - especially with all the youTube stuff around these days which makes learning & working things out massively easier.

Welcome to the forum...

Some great old school gear you have there - get it all working properly and you'll be in heaven with the tone.

If you need any help with the work on the neck, check out the builds section or contact Terry Chapman in Stevenage for a repair - his details are in the luthier thread in the repair section.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1505131440' post='3369644']
Welcome to the forum...

Some great old school gear you have there - get it all working properly and you'll be in heaven with the tone.

If you need any help with the work on the neck, check out the builds section or contact Terry Chapman in Stevenage for a repair - his details are in the luthier thread in the repair section.
[/quote]

Thanks.

I know Terry - he set up a couple of guitars for me before I had the skill+tools to do it myself. He's a good bloke. (I fiddle about with 6-string a bit too)

Welcome to BC, and moreover, welcome back to the world of bass :)
I too had a long abstinence from bass playing... mine was over 20 years! :o
That would definitely beat you in a game of "Missing from bass top trumps" ;)

It's never too late to start again. I try not to compare myself with other players
Or at least if I do, I try not to think of them as "better than me" - they often are, but I like to sit, watch, listen & learn from better players

I saw someone play at an open mic recently, and thought he was great - but after I played... he complimented me before I could compliment him lol
- then he bemoaned his own skills, wishing he could do this or that... So maybe, as bass players, many of us are perhaps our own worst critics?
In any case, the most important thing is just to enjoy playing bass, and enjoy taking part in music :)

I was in Cambridge recently, as I am every year for the folk festival - love the festival, but never manage to tear myself away from it and get into the town centre

PS. I'm guessing, like me, you are old enough to remember Top Trumps? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...