Why become a member? ×

Has Denmark Street been closed down?

markdavid

Wunjo's latest newsletter has a piece all about this. They have a summary blog here

[url="https://www.wunjoguitars.com/uk/blog-10022017-denmark-street-musical-heart-beats-on"]https://www.wunjoguitars.com/uk/blog-10022017-denmark-street-musical-heart-beats-on[/url]

No, I work around the corner & my company has an office on the street - the shops are still there & staying (for now at least).

The whole segment between Denmark street & center point (so this includes Denmark Studios & all the cheap Korean food places) has been flattened for crossrail works & will not be coming back in the same format, it is going to be shared use offices, shops & residential, but the actual shops & the old shop fronts on Denmark street are staying.

If i remember correctly there was a petition a while back to save Denmark Street and it worked, the people in charge of redevelopment had to change their plans. So it's safe for now. Sometimes these things do work, the campaign to save the South Bank skate park also worked, they left it alone in the end instead of knocking it down. Although the best part of that area got boarded up way back in the 90s after Prince Charles called it an eyesore. (Which to be fair to him it was, but it was also the home of London skateboarding, even if it did smell of boozy p!ss and pollution most of the time).

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1505148765' post='3369819']
No, I work around the corner & my company has an office on the street - the shops are still there & staying (for now at least).

The whole segment between Denmark street & center point (so this includes Denmark Studios & all the cheap Korean food places) has been flattened for crossrail works & will not be coming back in the same format, it is going to be shared use offices, shops & residential, but the actual shops & the old shop fronts on Denmark street are staying.
[/quote] Excellent, great to have confirmation, as mentioned I heard this from a dubious source so I was sceptical, am glad to hear it is still there

• 2 weeks later...