Why become a member? ×

Bass amp standing vertically

jimbartlett

I use a pair of TC RS210 cabs stacked vertically which makes a tall/skinny tower and my Thunderfunk mounted on top horizontally would be unstable (amp/case overhang). As a result I stand it on the edge with both amp and cabs mounted on a Gramma Pad, possibly isolating unwanted vibrations that might transfer through the floor... no evidence that this might shorten life expectancy but belt and braces approach. My amp is fan loaded btw. :)

I do this pretty often with my Hartke LH500 due to the awkward size/shape of the head. I'm a [i]bit [/i]concerned about the cooling issue, since I figure that even with a fan, there are assumptions about passive cooling that affect how the active cooling is implemented and it does have a valve pre-amp. It's never overheated though or even got noticeably warm.

What Bill is saying makes a lot of sense but I'd add one caveat. The fan should be enough to keep the temperature within acceptable levels but it is possible that inside the amp there are cooling fins that need to be vertical to dissipate the heat into the air prior to the fan removing the hot air. Without having the amp on the bench I wouldn't be able to say if this is the case or not.

This is only a problem if the amp is stressed and most amps would be fine. If you are operating the amp at high levels and it's in a hot room already then I'd be cautious, otherwise nothing to worry about.

Won't an amp on it's side look more odd than a bit of overhang though?

Just cope with the overhang, place it under the cabs or on their side in a stand that keeps it horizontal. Can't remeber how my old Trace was on the inside but they have heavy components in there and having them on their side may (or may not) cause some stress on the weldings and PCBs, not to mention the heating problems that were explained earlier.

More seriously though so many amps are stacked in weird ways and are fine.

My Mesa walkabout for instance is usually found stacked knobs up in its back pack on the combo, and that thing needs a lot of (fan) air. I can't see how orientation would hinder cooling in a fan driven amp, unless the vents were blocked.

I had real issues with my MB RJ 800 Head overhanging a Traveller 210. So much so I then went and bought the matching RJ cab, so problem solved. Just harking back to the Traveller cab, I even moved the badge through 90 degrees as I could not abide it being sideways when I used it with a LMII/III.....

Edited by yorks5stringer