String identification

2 replies to this topic

#1 gapiro

I get paid to break things.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Breaking things, Cricket, Bass.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Hi Chaps
Trying to identify a string
Long story short - I picked up a DB what, 18 months ago, haven't had much time to play due to change of jobs, two house moves and so on, now just getting into it properly
I took my bass over to a recommended luthier (recommended by two cellists and a violinist) - hes done a sterling job - new bridge, planed down a bump in the neck and just general set up. He also removed the D string as it was.... in a bad state and put one that was in the bag (which came as I got it!) on.

It sounds a hundred times brighter, louder and fuller than the other strings, so now obviously I want to get a full set.
I can't see any that match it in the bag. There are a couple of wrappers for superflex thomastik but the colours dont look like they match:

Description of string:

D: Black both ends
Ball ending is round with a hole in
It seems to be smoother (more "ground" if it was a groundwound bg string) than the rest (see attachment?)

There are some other strings in the bag with the same ball but no colour matching, and when I put one of those on, it didn't sound at all similar.

Edited by gapiro, 11 September 2017 - 05:04 PM.

My feedback thread!

Basses : Lakland 55-01 (+Big Splits + Aguilar OBP-3), Lakland Owners Group Bass 2010 - Rosewood neck, Some others that I never play....
Amp: Harley Benton BA500H (deceased), TC Electronic RH750 into
Cab :Markbass 2x10 Traveller (x2)

Bands - Ska and Function Stuff. Also theatre stuff as and when (bit of a musical theatre nerd)

#2 gapiro

I get paid to break things.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Breaking things, Cricket, Bass.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

No luck? I tried the string identifier thread and have got no where :(
My feedback thread!

Basses : Lakland 55-01 (+Big Splits + Aguilar OBP-3), Lakland Owners Group Bass 2010 - Rosewood neck, Some others that I never play....
Amp: Harley Benton BA500H (deceased), TC Electronic RH750 into
Cab :Markbass 2x10 Traveller (x2)

Bands - Ska and Function Stuff. Also theatre stuff as and when (bit of a musical theatre nerd)

#3 The Jaywalker

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

The only strings which come to mind are the cheap, unbranded ones which come supplied with factory basses. Ebay music stores seem to offload them every so often.
There's a set for sale on Ebay - http://pages.ebay.co...5157030&alt=web
- it's a fraudulent listing as the seller is trying to pass them off as new spirocores. It's been reported several times but Ebay, as usual, dont care. Looks possible to me that someone has taken the set off a bass and put the strings in the packet their spirocores came in. Seller has ended up with them somehow.
TBH, if this looks like what you've got, I'd avoid them. DB strings are horrifically expensive (I've just forked out approx 200 for a set), but there's no point in buying really cheap ones - they will sound nasty by comparison. Folks often sell good quality used strings on here; which can be a really good way to try different strings out and see what suits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users