Why become a member? ×

Using one amps Pre amp and another amps Power Amp

Sweeneythebass

I have created an idea in my head that at some stage I will need more power. Currently have my TH350 and love the preamp. So my solution is to run the preamp via tuner out or di into a more powerful power amp. Does anyone have experience of doing this and does it work/not damage gear? Also any potential power amps this is suitable for?

I have done this with 2 TH500's. You plug a lead from the send on one amp into the return on the other. You plug your bass into the "send" amp (which is pre amp and power amp) and the "return" amp is just the power amp (the master volume works, the rest of the pre amp doesn't).

But I see your TH350 doesn't have send/return. I'd try running a lead from the XLR or tuner. I doubt you'll damage anything but if you are really nervous about this I'd drop Aguilar an email wit the question.

You could get around the limited features of the TH350 by running a second amp (rather than a power amp) and using an A/B box or split cable to plug the bass into both amps.

Ah, on rereading the OP, I see you just want to run the pre amp into a more powerful power amp. I'd get the TH500. They come up in the classifieds and would do the job in a better way than messing around cabling up 2 boxes. Also, for a big jump in power, have a look at the AG700.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505204435' post='3370121']
Ah, on rereading the OP, I see you just want to run the pre amp into a more powerful power amp. I'd get the TH500. They come up in the classifieds and would do the job in a better way than messing around cabling up 2 boxes. Also, for a big jump in power, have a look at the AG700.
[/quote]

AG700 is a big jump in price, too. Nice, mind (I have one) and I suspect the OP wouldn't need his TH if he got one as the preamps will be similar, coming from the same stable. As the AG700 is relatively new, you see few turning up used as yet. I agree with chris that a used TH500 is probably the best option. If the 350 is in good shape, it ought to find plenty of potential buyers.

Yeah, without a FX send / Preamp out, that's a difficult one.

You can't be sure if the tuner out is before or after the EQ etc. Easy to test though, amplify the signal from the tuner out somehow and adjust the EQ. See if it has any effect on what you hear from the second amp.

Also as the DI sends a lo impedance, balanced signal (that's it's job), and the second amp is going to be expecting a high impedance, unbalanced signal it's difficult to say what will happen, sound-wise..

I wouldn't think you'll break anything by trying either though. Just start with your gains and masters at zero and turn up very slowly.

By the time the OP has bought a power amp, faffed around with cables and then possibly discovered that it doesn't quite work due to the previous post, it seems to me that the simplest and most cost effective route is to do as someone else suggested and buy a TH500 or 700 then flog the TH350. At least that way the OP is guaranteed to get the power he wants and the preamp he likes.

If that's the case, then will your current cabs take that power? I'm guessing not, if you want to go to 2 ohms. That means different cabs, that means different sound, that means different EQ, which seems to make the whole thing a bit irrelevant - you will probably need to think about your whole setup again....with all the [s]aggravation [/s] fun that goes with it!

Edit: just seen the previous post - great idea!

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='Sweeneythebass' timestamp='1505209921' post='3370187']
Cheers guys lots of info it did occur to me after posting that selling the 350 and buying a 500 would do the same thing and might be simpler. However if say I wanted something ridiculous like 1200w of power and a power amp that could run at 2 ohms ?
[/quote]

For this i would say best option is to use the DI out but i don't know if your DI sends mic or line level signal so you could need another preamp (like a small mixer) to boost a possible mic level DI signal in order to get the best of the 1.2kW poweramp. Check your manual.

Regarding the tuner out, i would bet that it's before the preamp, there's no need to send EQ to a tuner, it will only make it track worse, unless the manual states that the tuner out can double as an headphone out... but that should be written on the backplate...