Why become a member? ×

Most overrated bands

spectoremg

+1 for Coldplay....liked the first album a bit but everything since then is dire 'dialling it in' rubbish for which they earn gadzilions.

At least Bryan Adams had the good taste to give up and concentrate on photography before he was lured back by the cash. He wrote 1 good song (which is more than I have to be fair)

Cannot understand anyone putting The Who in this category tho.....that's the same as not liking/loving The Jam, just goes against nature

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1505249703' post='3370569']
I know that this isn't something you should admit on a bass guitar forum, but I have never enjoyed listening to Rush and I never will.

Terrific musicianship but I just can't stand the sound of Geddy's voice.
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way about Black Sabbath.

I've been trawling the musicians wanted ads for a side project over the last couple of weeks. My conclusion is that most people, including (or even especially) musicians are incredibly narrow minded and dismissive of anything that sounds remotely different to what they already like and have chosen to identify with. It's almost as if having a different view of music represents a threat to their personality. Over-rated is often as not just a lazy term for not liking something that somebody else does, but not being prepared or able to articulate why. I've recently heard people describe both Kraftwerk and The Beatles as over-rated. The former effectively invented the idea of electronic music as pop music, the latter were one of the defining cultural artefacts of the late 20th Century. There are many bands I can't stand, but calling them over-rated doesn't explain anything. It's just a way of not thinking.

Edited by radiophonic

For me its the Boyband or Girlband thing that i just don't get. Some of them will have maybe one person that is actually talented ie Gary Barlow but rest of the band are stage fillers. Would they survive as solo artists, probably not IMHO.

Some of the other bands mentioned i'm not a fan of altho they had occasional songs i liked.

Was never a huge fan of Stones either but when i hear their popular songs anywhere i kinda enjoy the odd song but couldn't listen to an album of them.
Same with Beatles. Heard a tribute band at a mates 60th and was surprised how much i enjoyed them and new all the songs too. And they were my first single at age 3 All My Loving :)

Even The Smiths i would like the occasional single but albus would be a NO NO.

Death Metal thing i've never really got either but i think that is probably just an age thing.

Dave

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I sort of like them because I remember a few good tunes, on closer inspection though they don't seem to have much to them really. Flea is great, wish I could do that, but..

Not helped by the one time I saw them, they came across as a jam band with a disinterested singer (tbh the crowd were pretty disinterested after a while too.)

Edited by redbandit599

Reading through the comments here, I'd concur with Timmo and PaulWarning...it really is a kind of IMHO type of thing and certainly one man's overrated is another man's underrated. It's all so subjective. I don't know whether being overrated comes into it really, I mean there's no doubting that the bands I mention below know their sh*t, but they are abhorrent to me on so many levels.

I used to have these girlish crushes on dozens of bands but as soon as (metaphorically) [i]Teresa from the typing pool[/i] mentions them in passing or says, 'Ooh, I really like <[i]insert bandname here[/i]>', I'd draw a line under proceedings and make a mental note to move the band to my sh*t list. It really was as black and white as that...you knew when it was time to stop listening to them because they'd moved from your little secret to (shudder) the mainstream. There's a ramp of festival-pleaser bands that are a complete turn-off for me, with the top of list being comprised of Radiohead, Coldplay, RHCP, U2 and Muse. I look at the bills for Reading and Glastonbury and just go, 'Kasabian? Friday night headliner? Really?'

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1505283793' post='3370656']
I just dont get Bruce either. Could someone explain please?
Great performer, songwriter and all round good bloke agreed, but legend?? How?? I read his biography and enjoyed it and it took me a bit closer to him, but legend`???
[/quote]

Blimey, tough crowd!
An amazing body of work over 45 years, universally acclaimed live shows, killer band , supporter of human rights - just for starters.

For me, Springsteen carried on the legacy of Chuck Berry - songs people could easily relate to about girls, cars, the American Dream etc.
But he also matured into so much more, his prolific songwriting skills developing with each album without ever making a duffer IMO.
I've been fortunate to see him perform a few times, and he remains the best live act I've ever seen. Always delivers, with a wry sense
of humour that complements his more 'serious' material perfectly.

Fully understand if you don't like him, but overrated? Nah...........

Oasis. After the first album everything else was a re hash of same. And the first album was just a Beatles cover job anyway.

The Smiths. Bloody hell did Morrisey drone on, usually using only two notes. He certainly made me miserable.

Kiss. Dress up like hard heavy rockers....then sing pop songs.

The Doors. Lounge Jazz, played badly, and a front man who couldnt carry a song in a bucket.

Guns and Roses. Simply re hashing the old 70s rock sound and lifestyle, and doing it so badly. Has anyone in music a more annoying voice than Mr. Rose?

Enough, enough, music is about enjoyment not moaning about what I dont like. I apologise.

I agree with nearly all the suggested.

Mid American Rock - the whole genre - Eagles included...and all the bands that are remembered for one crappy song from the 70s which appear on every "Greatest Rock Hits" album which end up in the £5 section in your local Supermarket.

Dare I suggest Bob Marley?

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1505298615' post='3370791']
Blimey, tough crowd!
An amazing body of work over 45 years, universally acclaimed live shows, killer band , supporter of human rights - just for starters.

For me, Springsteen carried on the legacy of Chuck Berry - songs people could easily relate to about girls, cars, the American Dream etc.
But he also matured into so much more, his prolific songwriting skills developing with each album without ever making a duffer IMO.
I've been fortunate to see him perform a few times, and he remains the best live act I've ever seen. Always delivers, with a wry sense
of humour that complements his more 'serious' material perfectly.

Fully understand if you don't like him, but overrated? Nah...........
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I didn't actually say I didn't like him, I guess I just don't understand.
I'll give you and example, and this is purely my take on it.
A concert with Roy Orbison, obviously about 20 years ago coz he's dead now.
Bruce is onstage with many other notable musicians, Elvis Costello being one that sticks in my mind.
You don't hear Bruce's voice, nor his guitar. Why was he there?
Another:
In his book, he claims that all his early gigging honed his playing and made him a really good guitarist, but Ive never heard him play a solo, he's always there with the Tele around his neck, but to me, seemingly silent.
And I stress, I'm not looking for an arguement, I'm looking for enlightenment.
I've got his early greatest hits compilation CD, and of course all the songs are so well worn that they offer little to me, should I be listening to something else? (meant sincerely!)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1505294895' post='3370758']
Here's an interesting challenge - can anyone name a band that all of basschat will agree are NOT overrated?

S.P.
[/quote]

Queen maybe? I'm sure someone will disagree though - that's what the internet is for :lol:

Here's an interesting challenge - can anyone name a band that all of basschat will agree are NOT overrated?

S.P.
[/quote]

Oceansize. Most of you will never have heard of them and when you go to check them out you will quickly realise how goddamn amazing they are!

S.P.
[/quote]

Black Sabbath

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1505293975' post='3370749']
I feel exactly the same way about Black Sabbath.
[/quote]

Oh sh1t.

Oasis - most overrated band ever imo, I had the misfortune to have to cover one of there songs in a previous band, used to hate playing that song and was just bored stiff for the duration of the song, also had the misfortune of having a friend that would listen to them all the time, also there lyrics are beyond awful just complete b!!!ocks
Queen - Also very overrated, they managed the impressive task of sounding both pompous and dull

Surely the point of popular music is that it is the soundtrack to everything else that is going on in your life at that time and usually the happy stuff. Listening to it again after a period of time transports you back to that time which revives good memories and therefore a liking for the music.

There is usually some historical context to the music when it is first recorded, early Springsteen, early Oasis, early Stones, early Elvis, early Queen were all doing someone new when they started which is the bands gained popularity. Under a Blood Red Sky was a good album for U2 but fame and money change people.......

I personally have never understood people raving about Elvis. An important historical icon but hardly the greatest singer in the world. Mind you he did sing in tune (most of the time) which is something that Marc Almond has never managed to achieve!

History should not be judged purely by todays standards. Jaco is musician who's contribution to modern bass playing will still be felt by generations to come but musically his solo and most of his band leader output leave me cold.