Why become a member? ×

Misunderstood songs

PaulWarning

I was listening to 5 live last night and they were on about misunderstood songs, they were talking about politicians using songs without actually understanding the lyrics, Ronald Regan used Springsteen's born in the USA without realising it's an anti American song.
Another one I know is Rocking in the Free World, it was used a lot when the Berlin Wall came down but it's actually an anti western culture song.
Anybody got any more?

'3 Times a Lady'.A popular '1st waltz' request at weddings.Surely its a break-up song? "But now that we've come to the end of our rainbow" and "Thanks for the times that you gave to me,the memories are all in my mind"
Likewise ""Best of my Love" by the Eagles.Strange choices.Just goes to show,people dont listen to song lyrics often enough.They just hear one line and think 'Ah that'll do for my wedding'

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1505301985' post='3370837']
'3 Times a Lady'.A popular '1st waltz' request at weddings.Surely its a break-up song? "But now that we've come to the end of our rainbow" and "Thanks for the times that you gave to me,the memories are all in my mind"
Likewise ""Best of my Love" by the Eagles.Strange choices.Just goes to show,people dont listen to song lyrics often enough.They just hear one line and think 'Ah that'll do for my wedding'
[/quote]

'Three Times A Lady', explained by Lionel Richie.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7400313/lionel-richie-three-times-a-lady-songwriters-hall-fame-interview

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505301107' post='3370824']
yeah I've always understood that one, I heard it played at a wedding too, sat there with a smug grin on my face
[/quote]

You would think people would grasp it after the line "Since you've been gone, all that's left is a band of gold". But I realised quite early on how few people listen to the words of songs they claim to love.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505314688' post='3370974']
there's a few songs about w***ing that people don't get, Teenage Kicks is another
[/quote]

Yep, and [i]Gelatinous Ropes Of Curious Yogurt Splashing On My Stomach [/i]is another one. I've never understood why people so commonly use that for their first dance.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1505315111' post='3370979']
Yep, and [i]Gelatinous Ropes Of Curious Yogurt Splashing On My Stomach [/i]is another one. I've never understood why people so commonly use that for their first dance.

S.P.
[/quote]oh yeah, Dancing with Myself is another

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505314688' post='3370974']
there's a few songs about w***ing that people don't get, Teenage Kicks is another
[/quote]
As a contrast, Whip It is popularly believed to be about masturbation, but is in fact not. There's a [i]handful[/i] of other Devo tracks which definitely are, though.