Why become a member? ×

Misunderstood songs

PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505325381' post='3371097']
talking of the Who, Squeezebox, how the hell did/do they get with that one, did the BBC actually think it was about a musical instrument? they were probably the only ones that misunderstood those lyrics
[/quote]

Ahh, you have to love the Beeb, unless you called the song "I love a good w**k" it would go straight over there heads. Oo er missus.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1505314688' post='3370974']
there's a few songs about w***ing that people don't get, Teenage Kicks is another
[/quote]
And I'm A W*nker by Ivor Biggun. Very misunderstood but rarely played on the Beeb

Randy Newman talks about a couple :-

6:30 " You can leave your hat on "
14:12 " Short People "

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KX73Cwx61U[/media]

In a similar way I didn;t get the humour in Leonard Cohen's " I'm Your Man " until I heard the original because I only knew the Joe Cocker version .

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1505306091' post='3370889']
I've recently had to explain what Turning Japanese by The Vapours (I think) is really about. Entirely worth it just to see the shocked look on their face :-)
[/quote]
That's an urban myth. The song is about growing up and feeling like you suddenly don't know yourself, as if you're part of an entirely different culture.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1505301985' post='3370837']
'3 Times a Lady'.A popular '1st waltz' request at weddings.Surely its a break-up song? "But now that we've come to the end of our rainbow" and "Thanks for the times that you gave to me,the memories are all in my mind"
Likewise ""Best of my Love" by the Eagles.Strange choices.Just goes to show,people dont listen to song lyrics often enough.They just hear one line and think 'Ah that'll do for my wedding'
[/quote]

"Easy" is even worse... paraphrase... "I hate you, you've done nothing but hold me back and put me down for years but now we've had one last bonk, when you wake up I'll have cleared out my things and gone... ... and you know what? I just couldn't care less, you cow!"

The perfect wedding tune... and done it so many times as a first dance!

Edited by TrevorR

How Long. Not about a cheating woman but a cheating bass player. Written after the band found out Tex Comer was planing to leave Ace.

Why Did You Do It by Stretch. Again, not a song about a cheating woman but a cheating drummer Mick Fleetwood. Written by Stretch after he screwed them on an already dodgy US tour when he dropped out at no notice.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1505811064' post='3374406']
Walk This Way is another classic, had to laugh when Girls Aloud covered it!
[/quote]

Not just me then hahaha

Out of interest, because I haven't actually heard their version, did they change any of the lyrics?