Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

As long as you avoid the cheap rubbish they basically all sound the same on good European power! Any differences you hear will only be once the amp runs out of headroom and that'll come down to power amp specifics, limited designs, soft clipping implementation, etc.

There's definitely a bigger issue in North America because they only have half as much voltage coming out of the wall. Yay for proper 220V+ power (we have the most here in the UK).

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1505310789' post='3370935']
There's definitely a bigger issue in North America because they only have half as much voltage coming out of the wall. Yay for proper 220V+ power (we have the most here in the UK).
[/quote]It's not an issue where bass amps or club size PA is concerned, nor for that matter with pro-touring sound, where the power amps typically run on 220v.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1505317356' post='3371003']
It's not an issue where bass amps or club size PA is concerned, nor for that matter with pro-touring sound, where the power amps typically run on 220v.
[/quote]

Hey Bill, Wasn't that what Alex said? Power amplifiers running at 110v is "a bigger issue" than those running at 220v. I guess it'd apply anywhere in the world - or have I missed another point being made?

Guest bassman7755

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/qsc-amplifier-plx-1602-/192298491191?hash=item2cc5e21d37:g:BKsAAOSwtZJY8obJ

Simply unbeatable £ for £, just buy it and spend your energy worrying about something else.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1505410166' post='3371757']
Interesting about the voltage step-up used in the US. i didn't know that was done!

Sounds like I needn't worry about the frequency response of the average power amp too. Good to know, thanks!
[/quote]

I used to be involved setting up an annual exhibition in the USA and the local electricians would give us a 220-ish volt supply derived from between 2-phases of their 3-phase supply.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1505410166' post='3371757']
Interesting about the voltage step-up used in the US. i didn't know that was done!
[/quote]

It's quite common for household appliances like water heaters, and as Bill mentioned, for touring grade pro sound applications.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1505310789' post='3370935']
Yay for proper 220V+ power (we have the most here in the UK).
[/quote]

sorry to burst your bubble of smugness, but we have had 240V down under, though it's been pegged back to 230V now. :)

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1505513272' post='3372585']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/qsc-amplifier-plx-1602-/192298491191?hash=item2cc5e21d37:g:BKsAAOSwtZJY8obJ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...KsAAOSwtZJY8obJ[/url]

Simply unbeatable £ for £, just buy it and spend your energy worrying about something else.
[/quote]

Completely agree, I just sold mine as I don't have any passive cabs any more but mine gave me years of trouble-free, great-sounding, service. I'd buy another straight away if I ever had any 'real' cabs again.