Why become a member? ×

Two way switch which switches between coil of hbucker and single coil pickup

logicred

I have a sub ray stingray bass and have added a John East preamp and Nordstrand pickup which has separate wiring for each coil

I would like to add another single coil pickup to the neck and ultimately want a SINGLE two way switch to do the following:

SWITCH POSITION 1 - Humbucker only (both coils)
SWITCH POSITION 2 - Humbucker outer coil AND neck pickup (giving a jazz style sound)

So I need some kind of switch that will have 6 connectors (I guess!) so each coil goes to a pair of connectors.

SEE THIS PIC

EDIT! I think I may have found a solution! See below the 2 way DPDT switch. I think this should do what I need?

Edited by logicred

I dont think it will be as easy as that as you need to consider the wiring for the humbucker when just it is selected, as well as if you want the outer coil and single coil (jazz option) in series or parallel (jazz is normally parallel). As it stands, im not sure on how it would be wired up, though i suspect you would need the 4PDT switch (top right) for something this fancy. however, this site has a lot of schematics for wiring mods, and if you cant find what you're looking for, the owner can design you a custom diagram (i think he charges a fee, but i'd have a chat to him via email to see if its possible first). Its a great site for 90% of guitar wiring mods [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][url="http://guitarelectronics.com/"]http://guitarelectronics.com/[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Edited by tommorichards