Bands you don't like with members you do like

53 replies to this topic

#1 ZilchWoolham

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

Slightly inspired by the overrated bands thread. Do you ever remain unimpressed by a band even though you really quite like one, or several, of its individual members?

Personally, I think Brian May is a terrific guitar player, but Queen never manages to move me. His tone is great, and his solos are exciting and ear-catching, but the songs they're trapped in always leave me cold. It's almost a bit frustrating!

#2 Chris2112

Metropolis has nothing on this

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Stewart Copeland is a great drummer and I loved his work with Stanley Clark on the Animal Logic records. However, the band he made his fame with, The Police, are absolutely sh*t.
Cort Rithimic Jeff Berlin bass

Markbass CMD151P Jeff Berlin combo

Motorcycles by Triumph

#3 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

The smiths - take away Morissey and they are great, with him they range from passable to terrible.

#4 Johnny Wishbone

I was saying Boo-urns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

Foo Fighters. Love Dave Grohl as a drummer and a person, can't stand 95% of their music or their "actual" drummer. The other guys seem OK.

#5 super al

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

The Who. Fantastic bassist, one of a kind drummer, guitar legend and a really strong singer.
All the right ingredients for a rock band, right?
I just don't get it, about 2 or 3 of their tunes I think are ok but I can't get excited about The Who.

#6 Bassassin

Acronym Research & Selection Executive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Florence & The Machine. She has an immense voice, completely wasted in that messy, mimsy indie twaddle.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Washburn SB40 Vulture II :: Kasuga Scorpion SCB1200 :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Kasuga EB-750 Rickenbugger :: Frankenbugger :: Matsumoku Rickenfaker :: Retrovibe RV4 GayGloBugger

And in Contemporary Korean Driftwood:

Aria STB-GT Sex-On-A-Stick

And introducing the FreakBass Circus:

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger :: Cort Headless

Gordy Blueshift Custom Fretted/Fretless Twin-Neck Prog Nightmare (and back brace)

#7 super al

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

T-Bay, on 13 September 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

The smiths - take away Morissey and they are great, with him they range from passable to terrible.
I never got the Smiths either but think Johnny Marr post Smiths did some good work

#8 fretmeister

Dirty Slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  • Interests:Magic. Rugby. Motorsport. Films. Quiz Shows. Sculpture.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Rush. Geddy is amazing. The songs are awful.

Wondering how to count in 15/4

#9 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

I don't really care for QOTSA, but Josh Homme et al did a cracking job with Iggy Pop on the Post Pop Depression album and live DVD.
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#10 FinnDave

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • Interests:Bass, bass, and more bass.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostZilchWoolham, on 13 September 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Slightly inspired by the overrated bands thread. Do you ever remain unimpressed by a band even though you really quite like one, or several, of its individual members?

Personally, I think Brian May is a terrific guitar player, but Queen never manages to move me. His tone is great, and his solos are exciting and ear-catching, but the songs they're trapped in always leave me cold. It's almost a bit frustrating!
Agree with that, Brian May is great but wasted on that band. Then again, without Queen he might never have been heard of. Just a bloke in a pub band with an incredible guitarist.
Bass player for The Wirebirds (funky psychedelic blues/rock).

Various basses, couple of amps, couple of speakers. Collection of part-used Plectrums.

Things for sale: Fender 60s Classic Jazz, Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II

Keeping it live, keeping it real.

The Wirebirds

Lemonrock

Live recordings

#11 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

View PostChris2112, on 13 September 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Stewart Copeland is a great drummer and I loved his work with Stanley Clark on the Animal Logic records. However, the band he made his fame with, The Police, are absolutely sh*t.

Not a massive Police fan, though largely due to Mr Copeland's input - has there ever been a more annoying drummer?
I'm sure he is technically very capable, but all that busyness and accenting everything gets very wearing. After about a minute.

Reminds me of Simon Philips, another drummer I'm sure could play everything in 13/9 time if he so desired. However, saw him years ago playing at a Secret Policeman's Ball gig - standard blues
shuffle with Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck IIRC - and he murderedthe song / feel / groove.
IMHO of course :D

Edited by casapete, 14 September 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#12 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:14 AM

View PostBassassin, on 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Florence & The Machine. She has an immense voice, completely wasted in that messy, mimsy indie twaddle.

Missed them/her off my 'overrated' list. Her voice is unremarkable and struggles to sing in tune live,
with the songs sounding like a support band at a 1970's college gig.
I know, I'm probably getting old etc..... :(

#13 Osiris

Slightly flaccid member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Dead people

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Guns & Roses and Chic for me.
I love Duff McKagan's melodic playing and Bernard Edwards has an amazing groove, but I really don't care for their main bands. Although I appreciate both have played with other projects.

#14 scalpy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

View PostBassassin, on 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

The reverse for me, the band are really interesting, the singing is woeful!
G+L ASAT Bass,
Little Mark Tube
Aguilar DB112s

#15 radiophonic

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Low end theory

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

View Postfretmeister, on 13 September 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Rush. Geddy is amazing. The songs are awful.

I've always thought Rush are half of a good band. I really like Alex's multi-tracked chordal guitar playing and even his late 70s lead style, before he got all the digital reverbs (side 2 of Hemispheres >> Moving Pictures) and Ged's bass playing - and tone - is tremendous. I've always loathed the dodgy politics, excessive and showy drumming, 'the voice' and 90% of the material (everything except side 2 of Hemispsheres >> Moving Pictures). They don't seem to understand the idea that leaving things out is a good thing. Taste, basically. Ged's playing is great though.

View Postsuper al, on 13 September 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

The Who. Fantastic bassist, one of a kind drummer, guitar legend and a really strong singer.
All the right ingredients for a rock band, right?
I just don't get it, about 2 or 3 of their tunes I think are ok but I can't get excited about The Who.

This. I have 'Live at Leeds', 'Meaty, Beaty, Big 'n Bouncy' and 'Who's Next' and that's already too many Who LPs. On paper they look like a winner though. In my case, I put i down to Daltry really - I never really rated him. Band's you'd like with a different singer or no singer would be a good thread. I'm sure that's where 90% of the 'over-rated' comments come from. Esp where The Smiths are concerned.

Edited by radiophonic, 14 September 2017 - 06:42 AM.

1990 EBMM Stingray / Hartke

Bass Player for Foreign Accent:
Next Gigs:

October 1st - Colchester, Essex (TBC)
October 4th - Carrington Folk Club, Nottingham
October 8th - Nottingham (Hockley Hustle Festival) 2 sets:
Word Jam present Edins Kitchen for HH17
Himmah present Lee Rosy's for HH17
October 14th - Oxjam Takeover Beeston (Venue TBC)

https://www.facebook...oreignaccentuk/

#16 dudewheresmybass

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

I'm totally with you on the who thing. A few great songs, and four awesome soloists.
It works, but I just don't get all the hype tbh

Florence and the machine- awesome musicians that work really well together, but what a terrible shrieker.

I'm kind of torn with the rush question though- love geddys playing, and I believe it carries the band in many ways, but I just can't get past his early vocal style. The only album I actually can listen to relatively often is snakes and ladders. He actually doesn't sound like a nasal mess to me.
"His pedalboard runneth over!"

"lets just say your dream tone is a perfect burp (stay with me) but you can't aford a nice mouth to make a burp and all your working with is a bum. at the end of the day, you can tweak, turn, spin, add, subtract, shine and kiss your bum but no matter how hard you try the end result will still be a fart." - pinched from TB!

endorsing artist: Dean guitars

Posted Image

#17 kendall

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Guns n Roses for me. I love Duff's playing and really enjoyed Velvet Revolver and his last 'Loaded' release. Can't stand Axls whine and snake dance.
Ibanez SR500BM
Aria Pro 2
Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 string
Laney Richter RB5
Peavey Vypyr VIP
Lots of cables and unused picks.

#18 FuNkShUi

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

The Foo's for me too.
I like Dave Grohl. Always comes across really well. To be honest, so do the rest of the band.
I'm just not a fan of the music, even though i'd really like to be!!

#19 Johnny Wishbone

I was saying Boo-urns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostFuNkShUi, on 14 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

The Foo's for me too.
I like Dave Grohl. Always comes across really well. To be honest, so do the rest of the band.

The recent "Sonic Highways" series would be a case in point. Immensely enjoyable (apart from Taylor Hawkins) but as soon as the Foo Fighters song came on at the end I'd skip to the next episode.

#20 SpondonBassed

Full-time owner of a large beard, part-time miserable old git.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Location:About five foot eight inches above England usually.
  • Interests:Born 1962. Background in aero engineering. Ex all-weather motorcyclist of 25 years. Still very much an analogue man.

Family motto:
    Mullach Abu -
    The Hills Forever.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostZilchWoolham, on 13 September 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I always liked the Smiths. I never liked Morrisey. There, I've said it.

While I respect his contribution to music I don't have to like the fellow. I think the Smiths might have stayed on the scene longer with a different front man. Hindsight's a bugger.

View Postkendall, on 14 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Guns n Roses for me. I love Duff's playing and really enjoyed Velvet Revolver and his last 'Loaded' release. Can't stand Axls whine and snake dance.

Me too. To my tinnitus riddled hearing he usually sounds like he could do with a shot of laxative to ease his discomfort.

Strings:
Pit Bull IB5 Home Built from Kit
Steinberger Spirit XT25
Hohner B2A
Vantage fretless 33B-XF

Wires:
Ashdown Toneman 300

Trace Elliot 1818T
Laney RB3

http://basschat.co.u...ez-tribute-kit/

#21 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostSpondonBassed, on 14 September 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

I always liked the Smiths. I never liked Morrisey. There, I've said it.

While I respect his contribution to music I don't have to like the fellow. I think the Smiths might have stayed on the scene longer with a different front man. Hindsight's a bugger.

IMO there's a pretty good chance that with someone less controversial and a more conventional approach to singing and melody as a front man, The Smiths would never have anything more than another Manchester band with a couple of cult singles released on their own label.

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 fretmeister

Dirty Slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

Beatles - but can't stand either singer.

I love the songs. They are well crafted and well performed but I've never liked L&M's voices.
I've got tons of cover versions of their songs in various styles.

They could have been massive with a better singer... ;)

#23 fretmeister

Dirty Slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

View Postradiophonic, on 14 September 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

I've always thought Rush are half of a good band. I really like Alex's multi-tracked chordal guitar playing and even his late 70s lead style, before he got all the digital reverbs (side 2 of Hemispheres >> Moving Pictures) and Ged's bass playing - and tone - is tremendous. I've always loathed the dodgy politics, excessive and showy drumming, 'the voice' and 90% of the material (everything except side 2 of Hemispsheres >> Moving Pictures). They don't seem to understand the idea that leaving things out is a good thing. Taste, basically. Ged's playing is great though.

This. I have 'Live at Leeds', 'Meaty, Beaty, Big 'n Bouncy' and 'Who's Next' and that's already too many Who LPs. On paper they look like a winner though. In my case, I put i down to Daltry really - I never really rated him. Band's you'd like with a different singer or no singer would be a good thread. I'm sure that's where 90% of the 'over-rated' comments come from. Esp where The Smiths are concerned.

Lifeson makes my teeth itch when he solos.

In fact I'm not sure he does solo. I think he throws the guitar down the stairs and just records that.

#24 LewisK1975

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

View Postfretmeister, on 14 September 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

In fact I'm not sure he does solo. I think he throws the guitar down the stairs and just records that.

Horses for courses, sure, but even this?

https://youtu.be/78D00dYOBrM

Edited by LewisK1975, 14 September 2017 - 09:58 AM.

Bass Player for Last Flight to Pluto - www.lastflighttopluto.com

My Feedback here:- http://basschat.co.u...for-lewisk1975/

#25 LewisK1975

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

View PostFuNkShUi, on 14 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

The Foo's for me too.

With you on this one Kert, aside of the first 2 albums, which I do like, it's been essentially rock music for folks who don't like rock music.
Bass Player for Last Flight to Pluto - www.lastflighttopluto.com

My Feedback here:- http://basschat.co.u...for-lewisk1975/

#26 FuNkShUi

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostLewisK1975, on 14 September 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

With you on this one Kert, aside of the first 2 albums, which I do like, it's been essentially rock music for folks who don't like rock music.

Beige Rock

#27 SpondonBassed

Full-time owner of a large beard, part-time miserable old git.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Location:About five foot eight inches above England usually.
  • Interests:Born 1962. Background in aero engineering. Ex all-weather motorcyclist of 25 years. Still very much an analogue man.

Family motto:
    Mullach Abu -
    The Hills Forever.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostBigRedX, on 14 September 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

IMO there's a pretty good chance that with someone less controversial and a more conventional approach to singing and melody as a front man, The Smiths would never have anything more than another Manchester band with a couple of cult singles released on their own label.

You're probably right but at least you could say you got a singer who used ALL of the notes, not just his favourite one.

Strings:
Pit Bull IB5 Home Built from Kit
Steinberger Spirit XT25
Hohner B2A
Vantage fretless 33B-XF

Wires:
Ashdown Toneman 300

Trace Elliot 1818T
Laney RB3

http://basschat.co.u...ez-tribute-kit/

#28 spongebob

Yellow & Spongey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass, eating Freddos.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Poor old Taylor Hawkins appears to be the most hated man on Basschat!

Hope he's not a lurker on here...... :ph34r:

#29 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostT-Bay, on 13 September 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

I can take Mozza for one song, maybe two, but after that I'm done, which is a shame because the rest of them make a very passable noise indeed.

View Postfretmeister, on 14 September 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

:D I only ever liked Spirit of Radio, but then after a period of extended exposure on Planet Rock I've become a real fan of Rush's 80s and early 90s work and I think Alex does an amazing job, especially his rhythm playing. However, this made me laugh out loud. They are very much a marmite band IMO.

View Postfretmeister, on 14 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

Beatles - but can't stand either singer.

I love the songs. They are well crafted and well performed but I've never liked L&M's voices.
I've got tons of cover versions of their songs in various styles.

They could have been massive with a better singer... ;)
The only one of that band I have any time for is George.

Edited by ezbass, 14 September 2017 - 10:14 AM.

Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom (JJ), Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless (MM), Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Phil Jones Flightcase, Phil Jones Cub & PB300

My Feedback

#30 Johnny Wishbone

I was saying Boo-urns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostLewisK1975, on 14 September 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

Yes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users