Why become a member? ×

Bands you don't like with members you do like

ZilchWoolham

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1505381972' post='3371436']
IMO there's a pretty good chance that with someone less controversial and a more conventional approach to singing and melody as a front man, The Smiths would never have anything more than another Manchester band with a couple of cult singles released on their own label.
[/quote]

You're probably right but at least you could say you got a singer who used ALL of the notes, not just his favourite one.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1505325565' post='3371099']
The smiths - take away Morissey and they are great, with him they range from passable to terrible.
[/quote] I can take Mozza for one song, maybe two, but after that I'm done, which is a shame because the rest of them make a very passable noise indeed.
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1505382783' post='3371446']

Lifeson makes my teeth itch when he solos.

In fact I'm not sure he does solo. I think he throws the guitar down the stairs and just records that.
[/quote]
:D I only ever liked Spirit of Radio, but then after a period of extended exposure on Planet Rock I've become a real fan of Rush's 80s and early 90s work and I think Alex does an amazing job, especially his rhythm playing. However, this made me laugh out loud. They are very much a marmite band IMO.[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1505382249' post='3371439']
Beatles - but can't stand either singer.

I love the songs. They are well crafted and well performed but I've never liked L&M's voices.
I've got tons of cover versions of their songs in various styles.

They could have been massive with a better singer... ;)
[/quote]The only one of that band I have any time for is George.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1505383822' post='3371468']
Poor old Taylor Hawkins appears to be the most hated man on Basschat!

Hope he's not a lurker on here...... :ph34r:
[/quote]

I don't have any problems with him. Seemed like a good bloke on any interview i've seen of him. All the members seem alright to me.
I just can't get into their music

Thin Lizzy. Great basist, passable singer, mostly sh1t songs.
Aerosmith. Steve Tylers voice is fantastic, dont get the spandex.
Dire Straits. No, just kiddin, there's nothing I like about them.

Edited by Nicko

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1505325220' post='3371094']
Personally, I think Brian May is a terrific guitar player, but Queen never manages to move me. His tone is great, and his solos are exciting and ear-catching, but the songs they're trapped in always leave me cold. It's almost a bit frustrating!
[/quote]

I have heard that back in the early days, when Queen were still playing the same circuit as Sparks, the Mael brothers did approach the then still Mr May and asked if he fancied joining their band - "Queen aren't really going anywhere," they supposedly told him.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1505383928' post='3371469']
The only one of that band I have any time for is George.
[/quote]
I'm with you on this one. Seemingly also the nicest chap out of the lot, and seemingly mistreated for it.
I was in my local record shop the other day and they had the White Album on. It became very apparent that While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a cut above the rest. In fact, it's really the only song from that album I can remember off the top of my head. Well, apart from Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, which I remember much in the same way you'd remember a car crash.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1505393874' post='3371588']
Surely the next natural step to this discussion is "Bands you do like, which have a member you don't like."

Trickier, but i'm sure they exist.
[/quote]

That's easy as I can't deny I enjoyed a Gilter band live show in the late 80s , how was I to know

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1505490080' post='3372356']

That's easy as I can't deny I enjoyed a Gilter band live show in the late 80s , how was I to know
[/quote]My girl friend at the time was a Glitter Band fan and I thought they were quite good. I also had the first GG album which was really good; this messes with my head.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1505383221' post='3371453']
With you on this one Kert, aside of the first 2 albums, which I do like, it's been essentially rock music for folks who don't like rock music.
[/quote]

I put them in the same category as nickleback - heavy rock without guitar solos i.e. pointless.

Guest bassman7755

Mark King / level 42, articulate humble person, uniquely brilliant bassist, rest of band very decent players, songs catchy and well crafted, musical genre: dreadfully inoffensive "pop".

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1505569789' post='3372920']
I like any one of Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted or Robert Trujillo individually far more than I like Metallica as a whole.
On the other hand I massively prefer Metallica as a whole to Lars Ulrich as an individual.
[/quote]Preach!

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1505393874' post='3371588']
Surely the next natural step to this discussion is "Bands you do like, which have a member you don't like."

Trickier, but i'm sure they exist.
[/quote]
I've often wondered what Magazine would have sounded like with a different singer? John McGeoch, Barry Adamson and Dave Formula were amount the best musicians of their day (John McGeoch being my all-time favourite guitarist) but I never really "got" Howard Devoto.

Dire Straits - MK is a fave guitar stylist and influenced me to change from using pick to fingers. However, the music is mostly beige coffee table pish for people who probably also were uber fans of Michael Bolton and Jennifer Rush back in the 80s
Dream Theater - arguably the most technically advanced collection of rock musicians out there - terrif bass player, top class drummist in Portnoy and Petrucci is a better shredder than Vai and Satriani IMO. Unfortunately their output is preposterous prog metal twaddle.
Foo Fighters - DG is an excellent frontman, great drummer, decent guitarist and seemingly all round good bloke. Unfortunately the FF are to rock what Level 42 were to funk and the Mumfords are to bluegrass.
And another thumbs down for Florence. ATM could be half decent without her one trick pony style of belting out the same way whether a ballad or a rocker