Why become a member? ×

Problem with hex nut to adjust the truss rod

Jimothey

I've got another problem with my Ibanez GSR205

I've just checked the neck it and the truss rod needs to be tightened as the neck has got a hump but I think the previous owner has tried to do it with the wrong size hex key and has knackered the nut head!?!

Apart from removing the fretboard to replace the truss rod has anyone got any ideas to how I can get over it??

Thanks

Is the truss rod a biflex or single action. If it is single action you may get lucky with a flat head screwdriver that fits across the hex socket. This might involve filing the screwdriver tip to fit. A similar approach may work with the next size up allen key (choose metric or imperial that is closest). The key is to remove the adjuster bullet and replace. If the truss rod is biflex you are probably out of luck for diy fixing.

7string has good advice in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/71224-truss-rod-problem/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/71224-truss-rod-problem/[/url]

Hi 3below

I did think down them lines, I have tried the next size up Allen key metric and Imperial and I tried to use a flat head that was virtually the right size but with no luck

I was thinking maybe if I cut a slot in the nut and use a bigger flathead to try and remove it but I'm worried that if it's only mild steel it might break!?!

If I can remove the bullet do you know where I might be able to get a replacement?

Thanks