Why become a member? ×

Old school sounding practice amp

joescartwright

Hi,

I'm looking for a small amp, mostly for practicing, if it can do small gigs then that's an added bonus but small and transportable are the main thing I'm looking for.

Most of the stuff in this category seems to be aimed at the modern, super clean bass sound which doesn't really suit my playing. Has anyone got any experience of something that nails a more vintage sound? I'm a P bass and flats kind of guy...

Cheers for any help!
Joe.

Fender Rumble or Ampeg BA sound the way to go. Both work great with P-Basses (have had both myself). Whether or not they`d cope for gigs, well depends on what type of music/instruments in band really. There are a good few options in each range though, so worth checking out.

Some days I'm a P bass and flats guy and I use a Barefaced One10 and my main amp, an Aguilar TH500, if I have to play at home. I haven't gigged with the One10 yet, mostly my bands are full on, flat out loud, but for the occasional small gig I'll use 1 Super Compact.

The Super Midget and any Bergantino or Aguilar 112's look like great cabs for small gigs.

Depends how serious you are.

If you really want an old-school sound which sounds great at rehearsal volumes, can handle small gigs, and is more-or-less transportable then get yourself an early 70s WEM Dominator 25 - the one with the 15" Celestion.

Superb open-backed sound, 15W of valve power, looks cool as f***.

They turn up quite frequently on eBay. Don't pay more than £400.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1505473162' post='3372146']
Depends how serious you are.

If you really want an old-school sound which sounds great at rehearsal volumes, can handle small gigs, and is more-or-less transportable then get yourself an early 70s WEM Dominator 25 - the one with the 15" Celestion.

Superb open-backed sound, 15W of valve power, looks cool as f***.

They turn up quite frequently on eBay. Don't pay more than £400.
[/quote]

Yep, I sold mine here recently and whilst it didn't have the mojo of a B-15 it did a pretty fine impersonation; a f*****g glorious sounding amp that punched well above its weight in every respect. One of the best tones I've ever managed to produce was a late 70's Yamaha BB1200 through the WEM, total cost less than £800, tone indistinguishable from a pre-CBS Precision through a '64 B-15.

Vintage sound with a P & flats, I like to pair with my Orange Terror Bass. They make a combo version which although is tiny, is probably heavier and more expensive than you were after, but at least it would handle a gig no problem! I've not tried their Crush combos but would expect a similar vibe from them.

A Line6 Studio 110 would be a good option for something cheap and basic, it has a B15 model built in.

Thanks guys!

The WEM looks great but I'm not sure it would be any easier to lug around than my Walkabout Scout. I wish Ashdown still made the little 15 watt 1x10 flip top thing they used to do but I guess tiny valve bass amps is probably a niche market.

I'll try and check out the Fender and Ampeg stuff, I played what they had out a couple of years ago and wasn't very inspired but maybe they've made some changes.

I always thought the PJB stuff was super clean and pristine? But then again didn't Babbit use their stuff? Maybe I'm wrong!

Thanks again,
Joe.

Joe,

PJB is pretty clean, but roll of your tone, use the EQ and it's not half bad.
Place it next to a wall and you get good thick bass pumping out.

The bass Cub has an Aux in, a second input which can take a microphone, or another bass and the DI out is lovely.

I have the one in red and it passed the wife test on size and also looks to be allowed in the house

PJB have two similar sized amps, the Cub and the Double Four. They have different drivers though, the Double Fours are the same as the ones in the Briefcase, very clean and clinical, but the ones in the Cub are supposed to be much fatter and warmer. The Markbass 801 should be in your sights too!

Edited by dannybuoy

I've just picked up a Fender Rumble 100 watt combo off this 'ere forum. 1x12 and light as a feather. Very nice frity, vintage tone with my P bass (well, Tokai Hardpuncher to be precise) with flats on. Should hold it's own pretty well up to a smallish gig if needed because it seems plenty loud. No provision for an extension cab though, but I've got bigger stuff for that anyway. Also has a mini jack input and a headphone socket so covers pretty much all the bases for practice and small gigs. Cracking little thing.