Why become a member? ×

NBD - Gibson EB4

FinnDave

Well, this just turned up!

[attachment=253677:IMG_1014.jpg]

The result of this: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/311904-a-dangerous-combination/

And I have to say it is a real beaut, both pickups have coil taps (push-pull on the relevant volume control) and the whole thing is just quality. Light, too. Lovely growl down at the business end. I'll play some or all of the first set at tonight's gig with it, I reckon it'll sound even better through the 2x12 with the amp wound up a bit.

Well there were a lot disparaging remarks about its design when it came out, but I think they are over-reacting. Sure it bears some similarities to other basses but how many well respected basses are based on either the P or the J? There are certain fundamentals that have to be in a design to make it usable. I have been thinking about getting the five string which is at a knock down price at the moment, presumably because it's not selling that well after all the negative criticism.

People on Talkbass in the USA seem to like it.

Enjoy it.

I took along to tonight's gig (Marlborough, Wiltshire) with the intention it using for a few numbers and then reverting to my trusty Thunderbird. In reality, the Thunderbird never left its case, I played the EB4 for the whole gig. Great sound, fast neck, versatile...I'll be using this one a lot.

All I have done since I got it (less than six hours before the gig started) is tune it. I am sure a careful set up will make it even better.

I love mine! Got a natural IV. They've taken a little bit of stick for the Tobias body shape with a batwing headstock, but looks ain't everything. They sound huge and the neck is a treat to play, IMHO.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. The fact that you used it for the complete gig and the T'Bird stayed in the case....

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505554874' post='3372749']
I love mine! Got a natural IV. They've taken a little bit of stick for the Tobias body shape with a batwing headstock, but looks ain't everything. They sound huge and the neck is a treat to play, IMHO.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. The fact that you used it for the complete gig and the T'Bird stayed in the case....
[/quote]

Just had a message from our drummer saying this is his favourite bass in terms of loss and sound. I'm listening right now to a recording of last night's gig and the bass sound is excellent, not too loud but very clear and defined. Lovely and growly, too!

If you don't like the look of the 2017 model, play one with your eyes closed. I guarantee the feel and sound will win you over! I've got 4 fenders, another Gibson and a couple of Epiphones, and nothing I have comes close to the EB4 for attack, punch and clarity. Those little passing notes and runs we all do that can't be heard come over crystal clear.

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505634779' post='3373210']
Ssshhhh!!!! It's a pretty well kept secret how good these are and the reason you can pick them up new for £599. ;)
[/quote]

I don't think any of the doubters will believe me! I've seen the natural finish ones selling for 599, but I preferred the sunburst for 50 quid more. Still a quality US made bass with decent hardware at Fender Mex prices.

got one two, really underrated bass, plays like a T bird (a bit) but much comfier and more playable. love mine, standard stock strings on it aren't bad either.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i reckon these are keepers and may prove to be a vintage class in a few years, like the original stingrays [/font][/color]

Edited by Rollin Thunder

[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1505749155' post='3373997']
standard stock strings on it aren't bad either.
[/quote]

Someone over at TalkBass suggested that Gibson are now putting [url=http://www.cleartonestrings.com/shop/product/nickel-plated-steel-nps-bass-strings/]Cleartone strings[/url] on the basses from the factory.

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505758824' post='3374121']
Someone over at TalkBass suggested that Gibson are now putting [url="http://www.cleartonestrings.com/shop/product/nickel-plated-steel-nps-bass-strings/"]Cleartone strings[/url] on the basses from the factory.
[/quote]
I emailed Gibson to ask, and they told me they were stock Gibson strings, but you cant buy them, there just using them up.

[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1505822522' post='3374543']

I emailed Gibson to ask, and they told me they were stock Gibson strings, but you cant buy them, there just using them up.
[/quote]

LOL. Wouldn't be the first time, that something I read on TalkBass turned out to be complete tosh!

[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1505822576' post='3374544']

got mine from andertons but think they may have all gone now, think Gak and Pmt may have some at a good price.
[/quote]

I bought mine from GAK for £599 a couple of months back. They dropped their price to £599 a couple of days after Andertons did the "Epic Deal" video. Not sure how much they are now at GAK.