Why become a member? ×

NBD - Gibson EB4

FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1505837744' post='3374674']
I'm guessing the original strings are steels, can anyone conform this?
[/quote]

Hmmm. I took the stock strings off and replaced them with Hi-Beams. Back-to-back, playing with strings I know are SS after playing with the stock strings, I would have guessed the stock strings were nickel plated.....

Edited by clivem

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505850364' post='3374800']
Hmmm. I took the stock strings off and replaced them with Hi-Beams. Back-to-back, playing with strings I know are SS after playing with the stock strings, I would have guessed the stock strings were nickel plated.....
[/quote]

Interesting, I usually use nickel plated and the strings on my EB4 don't feel or sound like my usual strings. sound better, feel a bit rougher on the fingers.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1506035431' post='3376101'] The prices on those are great now Dave.....looks good and quite like the natural one. [/quote]

I had a hard time deciding which to go for, especially as the natural is cheaper, but happy with the sunburst I settled on. I've had it almost a week now!

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505850364' post='3374800']
[/quote]
I Took the stock strings off and put on hi beams, took the hi beams of after a week, snapped one and others tight as a cheese cutter. put roto ss on and keep the stock as back up, pretty sure there nickle.they will do as spare on my jass or ray as they have nickle strings on them.
didn't like the hi beams at all, not for me. but thats a different story

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1506197159' post='3377054']
How are you finding the EB4?
[/quote]

Easily, I just leave in the corner next to the amp....

Honestly, I loved it for the gig I did the day it arrived, but I've been away most of the time since then so haven't played it. I got home this evening and will be taking it to the local blues jam tomorrow afternoon.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506197327' post='3377055']

Easily, I just leave in the corner next to the amp....

Honestly, I loved it for the gig I did the day it arrived, but I've been away most of the time since then so haven't played it. I got home this evening and will be taking it to the local blues jam tomorrow afternoon.
[/quote]

Not sure whether to wait for the new T-Bird or try one on these EB4s.....its a lot of bass for that money.

Edited by Number6

I've still got the vintage T Bird on back order, so I'll be able to compare them eventually (assuming I survive the operation to remove the one or two vital organs required so I can pay for the bloody things!). My experience of the EB4 has been very positive so far, but I've only had it about 10 days and was away for most of that time. But I've played it at one gig and 9 or 10 songs at an open jam and it's been very impressive. I'll try to do a back to back comparison of the EB4 with my Gibbo T bird at Friday's gig, should be interesting.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506319846' post='3377785']
I've still got the vintage T Bird on back order, so I'll be able to compare them eventually (assuming I survive the operation to remove the one or two vital organs required so I can pay for the bloody things!). My experience of the EB4 has been very positive so far, but I've only had it about 10 days and was away for most of that time. But I've played it at one gig and 9 or 10 songs at an open jam and it's been very impressive. I'll try to do a back to back comparison of the EB4 with my Gibbo T bird at Friday's gig, should be interesting.
[/quote]
is that the new epiphone vintage you have ordered.

I sitting here right now playing my pro 1v T bird, just got it back from the tech this morning, new strings, new tuners, general set up - quite honestly, it's the best bass I own right now, and the others are mostly US Fenders and Gibson! The EB4 was left for a good set up when I collected the 'bird. I'm missing it already :(

[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1506078376' post='3376285']
I Took the stock strings off and put on hi beams, took the hi beams of after a week, snapped one and others tight as a cheese cutter. put roto ss on and keep the stock as back up, pretty sure there nickle.they will do as spare on my jass or ray as they have nickle strings on them.
didn't like the hi beams at all, not for me. but thats a different story
[/quote]

I've been using my 2017 EB as the test-bed for getting a handle on the "flavours" of various DR strings....
Started with Hi-Beams.... Nickel Sunbeams... Then back to SS with Fat-Beams.... Now I've got the original Hi-Beams back on it.
Still got Black Beauties to try, but wouldn't expect them to sound much different to the Sunbeams, as if I understand correctly, that's what they are, a nickel Sunbeam string plus the black coating.....
Now it's setup for the lower tension of the DR round core strings, I'm really liking the lower tension "feel" of their round core round-wounds.

Have to say i've liked them since they were first released. Nothing to far out in design but enough so that its not a Fender clone.
Loving the finish on yours Dave. Very nice.

How does it feel compared to your T bass. Does the neck feel similar ?

Would have to try one before i bought one as i've never played a Gibson bass.

Dave

I've not played it enough to make a reasonable comparison with the Thunderbird, and the EB4 is away being set up my taste right now so I can't remind myself. I think it was fairly similar to my 'bird, but then I often switch between Jazz and Precision basses without really noticing the neck difference!

Sound is similar to the T bird, lot of punch and bottom end, but more versatile due to the coil tap switches (push pull on the volume control). I found it felt very natural in my hands when I got it. I played a complete gig with it just a few hours after it arrived!

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1506949570' post='3382192']
I've been using my 2017 EB as the test-bed for getting a handle on the "flavours" of various DR strings....
Started with Hi-Beams.... Nickel Sunbeams... Then back to SS with Fat-Beams.... Now I've got the original Hi-Beams back on it.
Still got Black Beauties to try, but wouldn't expect them to sound much different to the Sunbeams, as if I understand correctly, that's what they are, a nickel Sunbeam string plus the black coating.....
Now it's setup for the lower tension of the DR round core strings, I'm really liking the lower tension "feel" of their round core round-wounds.
[/quote]

I have done something similar, but with Dr, Rotosound and Dunlops. I have found the Dunlop super bright nickles to be the best, get a brighter growl but loose not of the deep low end. using the master tone only can loose and increase the brightness to suit taste.

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1505927298' post='3375310']
Light..... My natural finish IV weighs 7lb exactly.
[/quote]. If this is all they weigh , I think Gibson are really missing a trick here not quoting it in their specs. There are a lot of bass players out there with back and shoulder problems looking for a lighter weight bass. You just have to look at the number of times that question is asked of Basschatters selling gear. No doubt the problems are brought on by playing heavy basses like Fenders and lugging outsized speaker cabinets around to gigs.

Edited by Grahambythesea

Just collected my EB4 from my local guitar tech as I wanted it set up properly. He's done a great job, but reckons the fretwork was left unfinished. His comment was it was as if it was supposed to have been put through a Plek machine but someone forgot to do it. He's levelled the frets and trimmed the ends to perfection, I'll play it this evening and see how much difference that makes.

So if mine is typical of the breed, it would be worth factoring in the cost of a decent fret levelling into the purchase price.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1507892094' post='3388578']
. If this is all they weigh , I think Gibson are really missing a trick here not quoting it in their specs. There are a lot of bass players out there with back and shoulder problems looking for a lighter weight bass. You just have to look at the number of times that question is asked of Basschatters selling gear. No doubt the problems are brought on by playing heavy basses like Fenders and lugging outsized speaker cabinets around to gigs.
[/quote]

I imagine they're made in vast enough numbers that the variances in weight would render any marketing of weights pointless.
"All basses weigh between 7-9lbs"
They'd be inundated with requests for the lightest bass, and shops would be left with all the 'heavy ones'. Just easier not to mention it and reap the positive comments online from those who get a light one.

Si

• 1 year later...

I have one off these bass guitars and certainly people have overreacted to it considerably,  I have found that even in the guitar and bass world people are traditionalist and don't like change! I love this bass, it's light, has a fast neck and lots of tonal parameters + coil tapped pickups, it gives a gentle nod to the past too, like all Gibson bass's it has a heavy bottom end but at the other end of the spectrum can sparkle way better than a fender! it is easy to set up for a low action, the neck is an absolute joy to behold to, the Babicz bridge is a real joy to work with too, full contact with the body ensures true sustain. it balances beautifully on the strap too! something my other Gibson's don't! and boy what a growl this has! the natural wood finish is gorgeous too.

I use this bass more than any other I own and I have a few! Fender, Rickenbacker, Hofner and a couple of EB3's, even a Fodera which I think are overpriced and selling, no my Gibson EB4 is the one I pick up whether I'm play rock, Jazz or blues, it sounds great slapping it too, a lot of people who have knocked it have not even tried it, they have looked at it though and dismissed it purely on looks and if I may say, a catastrophic mistake, Gibson in their infinite wisdom have produced a real gem of a bass, a bass that fills every criteria for good sound whether live or in the studio and my only criticism is that it should have been supplied with a hard case, this is after all, a Gibson bass.

I have put Gibson speed dials on mine and replaced the plastic jack plate with a metal one, as the plastic ones tend to crack! It's what Gibson should have done in the first place! THIS BASS ROCKS WITH THE BEST OF THEM!

10.jpg

Edited by andrea mason
slightly more info