Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** 1981 Pre-EB STINGRAY
£1700

Apothem

[size=5]For sale is a 1981 Pre-EB Music Man STINGRAY in Natural, 100% original, with its original Music Man leather strap and hangtags. Comes in a modern Music Man standard hardcase.[/size][size=5] This doesn't need any presentation, it's iconic as it gets, in the classic Natural / black scratchplate configuration.[/size]

[size=5]I just do not play much anymore and cannot justify leaving such a beauty in the corner. Typical pre-EB sound, much warmer and full bodied than later years' production, with that twang that made the Stingray so appreciated. Strings through body, chrome battery cover, non-epoxy preamp (that stopped in 1978-79)... all the pre-EB works.[/size]

[size=5]I am the second owner, the previous one bought it new in 1981. We discussed pots dates, serial numbers... and he confirmed that he never modded it or got to replace absolutely anything, not even a screw (apart from the strings, of course). Currently set with a rather straight neck and low action (actually the lowest I have ever found on a pre-EB), and I've had no problem in tweaking the trussrod.[/size]

[size=5]Excellent general condition for a bass that is nearly forty years old. The body and the neck show the occasional little ding/knock/swirl here and there, but to be honest I have noticed them only when inspecting the bass for the sale, never jumped to my eyes (or fingers) before. A couple of scuffs on the headstock's edge and a little tarnish on knobs and pickup polepieces. Bridge still nice and shiny. The fingerboard bears a little bit of mojo, with the very thin upper layer / lacquered tint showing a little chip on the top side around fret 15, and being slightly frayed on the lower side, all of which is well visible in the pics. Again: [u]what you see is not a piece of fingerboard wood missing, [/u][/size][size=5][u][size=5][u]the chip (or the frayed lower edge) [/u][/size]it's only its very superficial laminated surface, only a few tenths of a millimeter thick[/u] and - like everything else mentioned - does not affect playability in any way, they're only cosmetic factors that can be easily rectified by a luthier, if so desired.[/size][size=5][size=5] There's a little fretwear on the first few frets, although plenty of life left in them. 4.7 kg / 10.5 lbs.[/size] The original Music Man leather straps has seen better days but still nice to have as part of the package, together with the original hangtags. The Music Man hardshell is the standard black current one, with latches and hinges in full working order. [/size]

[size=5][size=5]You can find my feedback at the bottom of the page.[/size][/size]

[size=5]Thanks for looking.[/size]

[size=5]Claz[/size]

Edited by Apothem

Great bass . Had one just the same . Year as well . Bought from soundwave bass Romford . These are rare pre Ernie ball 4 plate through body stringing . Started bridge strung bridge not long after this . Think they were made by charvel after musicman went bust . Great build quality . Best pre Ernie ball stingray I've had , and have had a few . Best of luck for the sale . Won't be around long 👍

[quote name='Orbs' timestamp='1505549019' post='3372692']
Great price for such an awesome bass, GLWTS...
[/quote]

[quote name='andysg42' timestamp='1505557276' post='3372783']
Great bass . Had one just the same . Year as well . Bought from soundwave bass Romford . These are rare pre Ernie ball 4 plate through body stringing . Started bridge strung bridge not long after this . Think they were made by charvel after musicman went bust . Great build quality . Best pre Ernie ball stingray I've had , and have had a few . Best of luck for the sale . Won't be around long
[/quote]

Thanks guys. I've had a dozen 'Rays, from pre-EB to standard/current production to Classic, from every single decade from the seventies to today. The warmth of the pre-EBs has been lost, and although the Classic is warmer than a standard Stingray, it doesn't sound so thick and focused like the pre-EBs I have had and played. I still own 2 1989, and they are diffferent beasts, more aggressive and "in your face" than this, which is much more balanced. But nowadays I play so little that I prefer to let this go to someone who can really appreciate it.

The 3-EQ is a different thing altogether. I had a '95 3-EQ, but with a chunky neck, and there is general consensus that the 3-band is not equal to the 2-band plus mids control. In other words: the 3-band and the 2-band, both with everything flat and on basses with same woods combos (and strings) have quite different voices. Definitely more mids in the 3-EQ, even with mids flat.

Cheers

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1505648560' post='3373306']
Looks like a lovely bass. I nearly bought this earlier in the year but couldn't scrape together £1500. Can't scrape it together now, either!
[/quote]

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='ian147' timestamp='1506638265' post='3380167']
Thats a beautiful bass! Wish I had the money... might be one someone would regret selling tho :)
[/quote]

Thanks mate. I already know it will be missed, but I have no time to use it, so somebody should. I am scaling down / thinning the herd.

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1506688429' post='3380442']
I keep looking at this , always wanted a early stingray in this scheme
[/quote]

"let the dream begin, let your darker side give in...." "let your fantasies unwind, in this darkness which you know you cannot fight..." LOL

There's no cure for GAS mate, you know? :P Tell me about it..... :ph34r:

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1507394127' post='3385219']
The grain on the body is phenomenal! It's got to be the nicest figuring I've ever seen on a MM bass.
[/quote]

Thanks for your words. The lacquer on the body has remained particularly clear still after all this time, and it allows the grain to come through in all its beauty.

• 2 weeks later...