Why become a member? ×

Gizmodrome

crag42

The "supergroup" Gizmodrome featuring Mark King,Stewart Copeland and Adrian Belew released their debut album yesterday.

Anyone checked it out?

I think it's superb. Some tasty playing from MK and great drumming as ever from SC. He even provides the lead vocals in a Frank Zappa kinda way

I know there's not a whole lot of love for Mark King on here but as a huge L42 fan I think it's great to see and hear him in a completely different guise ... go check it out on Spotify you may like it.

Craig

I just saw myself.

My comment above was simply because I didn't find a hook in the tasters that I heard. On reflection I realised that mine was the reaction of a pop music consumer.

Having slept on it, I have decided to buy the album on disc. I may even prise my wallet fully open and fork out for the LP.

With the exception of Vittorio Cosma I have enjoyed each of these musician's work in their respective bands. I couldn't really call myself a muso if I didn't look beyond that. Also, I feel a certain loyalty to these artists. Even if I remain unstirred after listening to the album I will know that I have not disregarded the efforts of these musicians without a fair appraisal. I am happy to pay to do so given the excellent track record that they all have.

Actually, it would have to be really poor to not find something good out of a whole LP so I'm ordering it later.

Vittorio Cosma on Wiki
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Cosma"]https://en.wikipedia.../Vittorio_Cosma[/url]

Vittorio's background on IMDB is interesting. I have not heard his film scores as far as I am aware. It is that unknown element that might prove to be the secret ingredient for me.

Vittorio Cosma on IMDB
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0181897/"]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0181897/[/url]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1505803425' post='3374339']
I see where they're going but I do not like the vocals, couldn't listen to a whole album, would prefer MK leading the vocal myself, but they didn't make the album for me.
[/quote]

Totally agree.
Musically I like where it goes, but vocally, it sounds like one of those novelty records.

[quote name='crag42' timestamp='1505947157' post='3375493']
I understand the vocals will not be for everybody but for me it works. Its different, fresh and should be killer live when they tour it
[/quote]

Agree they have potential to be unbelievable live if you've got all that quality and creativity allowed to let loose.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505997831' post='3375745']
Can't help thinking it would have been better with Tony Levin on bass.
[/quote]

Not sure. I think the "clash" of styles and musical backgrounds make it more interesting. Have you ever listened to Mark King's solo album (or first one, if he has made more than one)? At the risk of contradicting myself, he has a fairly eclectic background himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwLianIWk4

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506004412' post='3375818']Would have been interesting with Tony Levin, but as it stands, it has it's Level 42 moments which in my book is a good thing. Every so often you hear Mark's voice cutting through and it's unmistakable.
[/quote]

Agreed. Tony Levin has become "King of the spin-off project", so it is nice for another King to have his piece of pie as it were :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1505989514' post='3375656']

Could be interesting if they tour and Copeland intends to take on drum and vocal duties. Not impossible, but the vocals and rythym's aren't exactly straightforward.
[/quote]

I read an interview with Mark King and he said when they tour this album they will be using level 42's Pete Ray Biggin on drums sharing the duties with Stewart Copeland. So at some point SC will be out front with mic and guitar

• 1 month later...

I received my copy on disc a couple of weeks ago. Like Hiram, the lyric [i]I've got the keys to your horse[/i] is lodged in my mind.

I liked it overall. It's not as exciting as I thought it might have been but these aren't young guns any more. It is age appropriate. Instead of explosive delivery it has a slow consistent burn that sits well with my fifty-something constitution. It has stamina. I will happily listen to this during supper and during the washing-up after.