Why become a member? ×

Difference between US/MEX and JAP scratchplates

tommorichards

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1506333109' post='3377910']
Slight differences in size and placement of screw holes i'd suspect?
[/quote]

Exactly. Very slight differences, for example, between the Japanese-made Geddy Lee and the identical-looking American- or Mexican-made standard jazz. Takes a good bit of looking around over here to find a proper replacement fit.

I have been looking for a replacement p/g for a 50th Anniversary MIK Squier P however the one I tried, whilst pretty much a perfect fit for my '66 P, was out by a few mm. Specifically it was like the whole p/g had been stretched so the holes that were the bridge side of the back of the pickup were progressively more and more out. Very odd.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1506888296' post='3381848']Very slight differences, for example, between the Japanese-made Geddy Lee and the identical-looking American- or Mexican-made standard jazz.
[/quote]

Which is very odd when you consider that Geddy Lee's original Jazz bass (on which the sig model is presumably based) is MIA... So why would a Japanese copy of it have a different scratchplate shape and number of holes? :blink: