Why become a member? ×

Which DI ?

redbandit599

Hi all

Thinking of going down the IEM route, and so maybe either going ampless or backing off the backline volume (now I've bought some subs for the pa, this seems achievable.)

So, DI boxes - lots of good recommendations out there, but I like a fairly clean, growly middy basic sound - which I then want to run pedals into to overdrive, flange, synth up etc.

So, a good DI with a paralell output - maybe with a bit of valve goodnes in there but not inherently mid scooped AND that takes pedals well.

OK Basschat...ready ...set... GO! :D

Maybe more than you need but there is a Basswitch IQ DI for sale on here. It'll let you have two channels one with 4 band eq, one without eq, (you can also plug in two basses and switch between them) it has a transformer DI out, dual fx loops one series one parallel. One of these loops has a phase switch to make sure the pedals are in phase and is blendable with your clean signal. Oh yeah and you can switch it on of off and there's a mute switch. Super versatile unit and great as a 'control centre' on your pedal board.

I'm not selling the one on here but I do own one and it's a fantastic unit. If it's in your budget you'll be getting a heck of a lot for your money.

Here it is in context on my board. The bass plugs into the HPF/LPF (red pedal)>Broadcast> Basswitch input. The Cali 76 is always on in one loop and the Bass Soul Food is in the blend loop. Separate tuner out

Some great video reviews and demo's here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basswitch+iq+di

[attachment=253819:IMG_0858.JPG]

Edited by krispn

Well in that case it's a Two Notes LeBass hands down

Brilliant pedal with a DI

Also cheap as chips and really not a bad sound is a Hartke VXL, very underated pedal which has a DI also.

If you like an Ampeg sound the SCR DI is decent and can be used as silent practice

Sansamp range if you like it, and of course the bass fly rig.

Loads of alternatives out there

Edited by Cuzzie

I've been IEM'd for the past couple of years.

Having used EBS back line for years, I went and brought myself an EBS Microbass II. Gave me all the EBS'ness I loved but right into the desk and in ears.

Like with backline, LOADS of options out there. Maybe try something industry standard such as the REDDI, the Bassswitch or the Avalon. Nothing bad in that bunch, just varying shades of different.

If, like me, you get "your sound" from a your pedals and bass more than from your amp, the MXR M81 Bass Preamp (not to be confused with the MXR M80 Bass DI) is perfect. Its basic sound is transparent, no grind or growl really, but its magic lies in the fact it's a standard MXR pedal size (i.e. Smaller than a LOT of other bass DIs - and it has mid knob with sweepable frequency so you can dial it in just how you like. XLR output and 1/4 inch output on board.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, we have also switched to IEM during the summer and I am looking seriously at this too. I have done it several times at rehearsal using Sansamp VT bass DI and it has been ok if not spectacular.
Has anyone actually made the jump and sold their amp?
How do you get a nice bass feel using the DI? I still normally take my amp (Hartke HA3500 and 212 cab) for the room 'bass' as with the Sansamp it feels a bit too crisp and direct even though I like a punchy rather than fat bas sound. We have a good Yamaha PA but no subs as yet. Would subs make all the difference to the overall bass bloom in the room? I would love to lose the amp entirely so could sell off bass gear to finance a sub (or subs).
I do have rackmount Behringer bass v-amp pro which I use for recording at home. Would this sort of thing be better to push out through the PA with it's cab emulation etc
I do use a couple of FX pedals but tend to use them for the whole song (such as overdrive or octave) so I could easily set up a couple of banks with different FX loaded.

Just started to use my Two Notes Captor as my live Di, feed straight of amp and the inbuilt bass sim is very good, obviously tho will only work if you amp is 100w or less.

this might sound bad but ive not really found a di i like when sending pedals like drive and fuzz straight into one, and its not something im able to eq out on a desk, if you use alot of effects i would lean towards some form off cab sim di.

You should try the OmniCabSim, Andy! Not many about over here though. Not seen the Captor before though, looks great on paper as long as the speaker sim isn't overly dark like the one in the Le Bass?

There are a couple of different vibrating platforms on the market to give you a big rig feel when using IEMs, including one for sale in this forum somewhere. I'd feel like a bit of a knob standing on a neon-lit platform at a gig though!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507824625' post='3388243']
You should try the OmniCabSim, Andy! Not many about over here though. Not seen the Captor before though, looks great on paper as long as the speaker sim isn't overly dark like the one in the Le Bass?

There are a couple of different vibrating platforms on the market to give you a big rig feel when using IEMs, including one for sale in this forum somewhere. I'd feel like a bit of a knob standing on a neon-lit platform at a gig though!
[/quote]

i do really wanna try that but never had the funds to grab one.

i got the two notes for home demos but im sure the cab sim isnt for everyone but it works for me def not to dark or limiting, obviously its pretty limited for us bassists as you need a small wattage amp to use it.

Andy