Why become a member? ×

Why bother with an EQ on your bass - there's a better one on your amp!

thepurpleblob

All depends on how you want to approach it. With my set up I choose to set a core amp tone with my amp EQ. As it is, I tend to set the EQ on my current amp and cab set up pretty flat (tone knobs on 0 not boosted or cut for the "...but the amp's got it's own built in EQ profile..." pedants) because it tends to sound good to my ears. Any further tonal variation is done from the bass. This will be a combination of changing plucking style and position, changing pickup selection and onboard EQ changes.

I'd argue with the suggestion that the amp has a better EQ system than my basses. Sure, three of my four electric basses have very versatile EQ systems. As it is I also happen to use them for different things. The Wals are well known for the versatile nature of their pretty unique tone filters. My Frankenjazz has an Audere J style preamp. That gives pick up blend, bass, mid and treble controls plus a three way switch that loads the pickups in different ways. That gives a lot of tonal options but the nice thing about that preamp is that there are no stupid, unusable EQ extremes so that preamp is what I would describe as very "musical". Versatile but full of really usable options.

The exception is my Aria SB700 which (although it has an active buffer preamp on board) has just a series/parallel switch and a passive tone control.

So why drive the changes from my bass rather than from my amp or from a preamp pedal? Well, frankly, if I want to be making changes to my EQ or my tone between songs (or even during songs) I want the controls I'm using to be at my finger tips. What I don't want to be doing is kneeling down or turning my back to the audience to make a change. The former always looks naff to me and the latter tends to create more dead air between the songs than necessary. It's all down to how you approach driving your tone. As it is, my approach is 100% to do it from the bass. Even with the Aria SB700, when using that bass I work within the parameter of the tones that can be extracted from the bass. With that bass (which it kinda just a P-bass with a reverse coil pickup) I still don't fiddle with the amp tones during the set.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1505682593' post='3373575']
... I have several basses all with weird and wonderful (and different) EQs. Most of which I don't understand. My SansAmp RBI I mostly do. It would save a lot of bother if the EQs on the basses where not there. Am I mad... or missing something?[/quote]

Why do away with something just because you don't understand it?

Work out how to operate your EQ's and you'll be fine.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505692017' post='3373636']
Why do away with something just because you don't understand it?

Work out how to operate your EQ's and you'll be fine.
[/quote]

It wasn't really my point. Or it sort of was. Two many adjustments. Or... why do we invest so much effort in EQ on the instrument when we have even more EQ further up the signal chain?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505685165' post='3373602']
I just leave the amp's EQ flat, and erm.......the bass's EQ flat :).

I just play differently if I want the sound different, nearer the bridge or the neck etc.

Anthony Jackson doesn't even have a volume control on his bass.
[/quote]

That's broadly my approach...

My volume on p bass is on the max so is the tone. I seldom use the tone pot.
Amp settings are set to a mid range. No idea which eq means what. I move/ turn buttons until it sounds good to me. Steve Harris has his tone on bass bypassed. Eddie Van Halen hasn't got a tone pot on his stripe guitar.

Isn't it "all in the fingers"? :yarr:

I kind of get where the OP is coming from. I dislike complex EQ sections, whether they are on the bass, a pedal or the amp. Too much to mess up or mess around with (IMO, YMMV, etc.).

On the other hand, I do like a bit of tone-shaping ability close at hand. Particularly when playing a cover set with several different sounds that would be awkward to set up purely from the amp. I guess it all depends what you are trying to do...

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1505717298' post='3373661']Steve Harris has his tone on bass bypassed. Eddie Van Halen hasn't got a tone pot on his stripe guitar.
[/quote]
[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1505717454' post='3373662']
I rarely touch the tone controls on my bass. There is one bass where the controls are not flat, but that is more due to the sound of that bass.
[/quote]

Of course. All that is fine if you want to sound like "yourself". But if you have to try to sound like a number of different players/bands/styles, then EQ can be your saviour (IMO).

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1505717718' post='3373667']

Of course. All that is fine if you want to sound like "yourself". But if you have to try to sound like a number of different players/bands/styles, then EQ can be your saviour (IMO).
[/quote]

Agreed.I watched a cover band and both bass and guutar players were stepping on their pedal boards. Often between the songs.

I use both. They are different EQs at least, and in some cases the basses' EQ or electronics provide a sound that no amp EQ could ever deliver. The Stingray is a good example. No way to get the 2-band Ray sound out of just the amp EQ.
Or a Wal Bass, or a Spector, Warwick... I am sure there are lots of examples of active basses that sound unique because of their EQ/electronics.

That, and bass and amp EQs are rarely the same frequency and Q. so it all makes sense.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505685165' post='3373602']
I just leave the amp's EQ flat, and erm.......the bass's EQ flat :).

I just play differently if I want the sound different, nearer the bridge or the neck etc.

Anthony Jackson doesn't even have a volume control on his bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1505716382' post='3373658']

That's broadly my approach...
[/quote]

Mine too, on my main bass the only pickup is wired directly to the output à la Anthony Jackson.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1505711480' post='3373648']
Two many adjustments. Or... why do we invest so much effort in EQ on the instrument when we have even more EQ further up the signal chain?[/quote]

Granted there are usually a lot of possibilities, but you don't have to use them just because they are there. Though good to have just in case.

My aim is to buy the gear that gets the best sound with no effort and little adjustment. I want everything set "in the middle" and any changes shouldn't be more than just 1 click to the left or right. I haven't changed the tone or volume on my passive P bass in 4 years. There are more options on the active J but the controls are usually set in the same place on every gig. You have to know what your controls do, but IMO excessive EQing means you bought the wrong gear.

Just a final observation. . . . but I notice that I have a better, more consistent and easier to achieve sound with the standard of gear I now use. My experience is that better quality gear sounds great with no effort at all.

I think nowadays there's actually too much scope for tonal adjustment. Modern basses have active preamps with amazing EQ possibilities, amps too.

You see people fiddling with the controls on their bass, then going up to the amp and making adjustments, then it's the bass again. You should just start with a bass that you like to play, and an amp that suits your needs. This is why I think people change their gear so much.

Just my opinion of course.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505728816' post='3373760']
I think nowadays there's actually too much scope for tonal adjustment. Modern basses have active preamps with amazing EQ possibilities, amps too.

You see people fiddling with the controls on their bass, then going up to the amp and making adjustments, then it's the bass again. You should just start with a bass that you like to play, and an amp that suits your needs. This is why I think people change their gear so much.

Just my opinion of course.

:)
[/quote]

But just because it's there doesn't mean you should fiddle with it constantly. Is it a matter of self restraint? A matter of knowing your equipment? Or a matter of faffing about endlessly and never willing to be happy with what you have?

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1505736503' post='3373846']
But just because it's there doesn't mean you should fiddle with it constantly. Is it a matter of self restraint? A matter of knowing your equipment? Or a matter of faffing about endlessly and never willing to be happy with what you have?
[/quote]

That's the problem though, too many people don't really understand their equipment, hence the constant trading and selling.

I start from everything being at "0" on both bass and amp. I'll tweak the amp for the location and from there i'll use my bass depending on acoustics of the room when audience arrives or how the band is changing sound during a set. I like to have some degree of control on the bass as its a little easier to tweak the bass than walk back to the amp.
Jings how lazy does that sound :lol:

Dave

On my 3band fretless stingray I roll treble mostly off, bass flat and use the mid with a tiny bit of boost if the stage is muddy.
Bass amp is flat with maybe a tiny bit of bass roll off if stage is boomy.

Generally i'll be through a di to the PA which I have no control over so the controls on my bass are far more important that the amp

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1505737537' post='3373860']
Generally i'll be through a di to the PA which I have no control over so the controls on my bass are far more important that the amp
[/quote]

And still there are constant posts in the amps section saying that you shouldn't give the PA engineer a post-EQ feed...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1505717718' post='3373667']
[/quote]

I am in a cover band so there are different settings, although I don't really put much effort in to sound like them. But I do use the pedalboard to change some settings for some songs, probably why I am not playing with the other settings.

I have a 60s bass sound, a punky sound, a ska sound and a general sound, plus chorus for one song.

Edited by Woodinblack

I once installed an Audere in my Jazz, and I liked the tones I was getting, but somehow I found myself gradually stop bringing it to gigs and rehearsals. I think I even stopped playing it at home at some point, even though it used to be one of my favourites. I just wasn't getting along with it anymore, and disliked all the control options and unnecessary bells and whistles. Now I have it restored to passive again, with a regular passive tone control but with a rotary switch where the jack used to be that activates a subtle 6 dB bass boost, and it's all I need really. I can get all the classic Jazz Bass tones and that nice active sizzly Marcus Miller tone with the boost engaged, and I couldn't be happier!

That being said, I also have basses with active EQ's I do like and use, subtly. On my Stingray 5 I used it a lot to make adjustments inbetween songs, and I have a bass with an OBP3 that I use a lot too. Usually I only boost some lows and cut highs when I use the onboard EQ. I don't really know what it was about the Audere that I didn't like. But I'm glad I changed it back!

Sure beats fiddling with the amp controls inbetween songs.