Why become a member? ×

My first gig

clunkie66

What might throw you is the different acoustics - If a band's been rehearsing in the same practice room for ages and then you're suddenly in an echo-ey hall it can be very distracting, and for bass players a hollow stage can give all sorts of false harmonic information making it difficult to monitor your own playing. If you've got a small rig, getting it up off the floor can help with this.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1505796446' post='3374315']
when you make your first mistake, and you will, we all do, DON'T look like a startled rabbit in the spotlight.
Play on as if nothing happened.
[/quote]

This.

Have a face that projects the epitome of a cool head & that every note played was the right one regardless.

By half way through the first song, the nerves will go & you'll start having a blast!

Enjoy!

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1505756254' post='3374089']
Yeah, when I started (not that long ago) it was hammered in to me by my teacher that if you get lost "go to the root note and sit on it if you have to, but don't stop or the arse will fall out of the band". And as above, enjoy it.
[/quote]

Quaint imagery.

It's right though. If you stop dead you are removing much of the the drive from the band. Root notes and deep relaxing breaths are the saviours in these instances.

It's not been said in this topic yet but remember to breath well. Your body needs more oxygen than you might think during play. You don't want to hyperventilate. If you can recognise early that you are tense one or two deep breaths can help soothe the nerves.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1505809621' post='3374391']
And have a wee before you start - it'll distract you for the entire first half otherwise....

Enjoy the gig tho - playing live is great.
[/quote]
True - Dutch courage also a bad idea

My partner asked if I'd do it again, after the first time (when I totally died) and I said "in a heartbeat" - it was awesome second time - cutest girl in the room came up and told me "how awesome the (my) bass sounded" (didn't tell partner that Part (in great detail)

Edited by Geek99

Your first gig with 30 numbers could be a bit daunting. Is it your first gig only, or the rest of the band as well. If the others have experience you should be able to cruise along on them. Do you know all the keys, if in any doubt a crib sheet on the floor will give you added confidence.

But enjoy the gig and those that will inevitably follow. There's something a bit special about playing live. In over fifty years my gig count must be in the low thousands but I still get a great buzz out of the anticipation of a new gig, like tomorrow.

Good luck

Ha! It's only an estimate, and I was out for ten years when I was doing other things, but I've been busy during the past 25 years so I reckon the figure is not far off. The last twenty years are on spreadsheets so I could extrapolate, I suppose. But boasting isn't an attractive characteristic, is it?

Just to carry on a bit, I've got a gig tonight with a skiffle revival group. Not quite my thing but it puts me in mind back to 1957 when I was still at school and we did our first skiffle gig. I was on washboard. Happy days.

1. Turn up in good time, you don't want to rush.
2.Set your kit up before less important tasks such as PA. You don't want the preassure of everyone waiting for you because you have been helping others.
3. Spare leads, batteries and bass if you can.
4. Start with a song you love and are confident with, it all gets easier from there.
5. Enjoy, you have earned this

Good luck

[quote name='clunkie66' timestamp='1505737427' post='3373858']
I think I'm ready as I'll ever be, excited and bricking it in equal measure!
[/quote]
I used to get really nervous before gigs, until I realised that fear and excitement are in fact the same emotion. Ride the adrenaline wave, and remember to enjoy it! :D

my take on being in a band is that we are a team.

The drummer has many more trips to make from his car to load in and out and we always help him without needing to be asked.

And likewise with PA. The ones that don't know how to set it up lug it in while I set everything up, as usual :)

I've been in bands where a guitarist will set his 50w combo in the middle of the stage, run his cables to his pedalboard,set up his guitar and go get a drink and chat up the ladies. But not for long.........

Well I made it, relatively unscathed. Remembered my bass, crib sheet and to have a piss beforehand so a good start.

Was nervous in the first set, made a few mistakes but nothing terrible, managed to keep playing. Got some confidence in the second set and had a blast, even though I completely forgot the intro of the last number. Didn't sh*t myself which I found surprising!...

The other guys are all really experienced and thought I did well, they said I looked like I was enjoying myself. Brilliant venue, small and intimate, 50 or so audience, so perfect really. Well chuffed. :)