Why become a member? ×

My first gig

clunkie66

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1505811732' post='3374414']
Oh, and get ready to be mobbed afterwards by adoring fans...
[/quote]

That's generally reserved for singers and lead guitarists IME. You may get lucky by association though ... :ph34r: :lol:

Congrats to the OP. Onwards and upwards. :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='clunkie66' timestamp='1506356183' post='3378188']
Well I made it, relatively unscathed. Remembered my bass, crib sheet and to have a piss beforehand so a good start.

Was nervous in the first set, made a few mistakes but nothing terrible, managed to keep playing. Got some confidence in the second set and had a blast, even though I completely forgot the intro of the last number. Didn't sh*t myself which I found surprising!...

The other guys are all really experienced and thought I did well, they said I looked like I was enjoying myself. Brilliant venue, small and intimate, 50 or so audience, so perfect really. Well chuffed. :)
[/quote]

Only just catching this thread and its excellent. As always great advice on hand.

I've done the senior moment thing to so don't be worried too much. Its usually a touch of nerves but once you relax into playing it doesn't generally happen.
I do know of one pro rock bassist mate that seriously played a different song from the rest of the band. It wasn't until he got to the ending he realised he was ending the song differently to the rest of the band. He carried on regardless and says the audience didn't seem to notice :lol:

Good luck with your newfound love of bass playing.
Always enjoy and it comes easily.

Dave

I think nerves are a good thing really. Maybe not at the time but It puts you on your toes.
I remember one gig in particular.
We were booked to do the BMF rally at The East Of England Showground in Peterborough. This was easily the biggest gig so far. The drummer and I were behind the rear curtain to go on with 4,000 plus baying punters in the audience. We were waiting for our intro to finish and during this I could see the fear in the drummers eyes. I have never really felt nerves so I said to him," come on mate, let's get them. Take no prisoners" and walked on to cheers and applause with the rest of the band. He said that his nerves went from that moment and the gig was one of the best.
Don't forget, drummer and bassist are a team within a team. Lock together and rely on each other and let the guitarists and singers look good whilst you are the backbone of the band. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else would you!!!!!

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506055993' post='3376123']
my take on being in a band is that we are a team.

The drummer has many more trips to make from his car to load in and out and we always help him without needing to be asked.

And likewise with PA. The ones that don't know how to set it up lug it in while I set everything up, as usual :)

I've been in bands where a guitarist will set his 50w combo in the middle of the stage, run his cables to his pedalboard,set up his guitar and go get a drink and chat up the ladies. But not for long.........
[/quote]

When I arrive at a gig, I set my gear up then I start helping others lug gear. Same with tear down. I pack my stuff up first then help others. I'm always the last person to leave a gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1506479410' post='3379022']
When I arrive at a gig, I set my gear up then I start helping others lug gear. Same with tear down. I pack my stuff up first then help others. I'm always the last person to leave a gig.

Blue
[/quote]

so true Blue, I think bassplayers do more of the management roles and are always organised and help others because we feel insecure about our role in the band so we do all the extra things.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506488409' post='3379026']

so true Blue, I think bassplayers do more of the management roles and are always organised and help others because we feel insecure about our role in the band so we do all the extra things.
[/quote]

Interesting, now that I think about it, your probably right.

Blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1505751143' post='3374026']
Firstly accept that will make mistakes
If you make one just stop playing you until you get an idea where to come back in

Second just concentrate on having fun

Also aware that other people will make mistakes as well
[/quote]

I personally would not recommend to stop playing if you make a mistake, it would only highlight it more.
Just carry on playing and hopefully you will pick up where you should be again, enjoy.
Another thought, start wearing earplugs from your first gig and continue to use them going forwards, something that lots of us on here never did and we are now suffering the consequences with hearing issues.

Edited by steantval

When I was about 17 I was playing a lot of jazz gigs with ex Marine bandsmen. These are guys who can really play!

I got so much good advice from them (I haven't always followed the 'never say no to a bunk up' part) but they always said that you should keep going and keep smiling. I would be hopelessly lost in so many numbers (ever tried to busk Misty?) but was always complimented by very earnest audience members who would say it was wonderful to see such a youngster playing these numbers so well. In many instances only the first and last notes were right!!

[quote name='clunkie66' timestamp='1506356183' post='3378188']
Well I made it, relatively unscathed. Remembered my bass, crib sheet and to have a piss beforehand so a good start.

Was nervous in the first set, made a few mistakes but nothing terrible, managed to keep playing. Got some confidence in the second set and had a blast, even though I completely forgot the intro of the last number. Didn't sh*t myself which I found surprising!...

The other guys are all really experienced and thought I did well, they said I looked like I was enjoying myself. Brilliant venue, small and intimate, 50 or so audience, so perfect really. Well chuffed. :)
[/quote]

Congrats. Likewise, I've been learning to play bass for a little over a year. Not having joined a band, I admire you for jumping in there so soon. I really need to do something about that sooner rather than later.

[quote name='DrPAR' timestamp='1507132060' post='3383541']

Congrats. Likewise, I've been learning to play bass for a little over a year. Not having joined a band, I admire you for jumping in there so soon. I really need to do something about that sooner rather than later.
[/quote]
Go for it, I started back end of October last year, first gig was in December. It really focuses you to improve and gives the structure I needed to know how to go about it. And it's such a great thing to do you will love it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505738203' post='3373872']

Remember. . . . musicians hear all the bad notes, but audiences hear all the good notes.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
[/quote]

And this is all you need to know about gigging.

P bass with flats also.

Edited by interpol52