Why become a member? ×

Help! I have Orange gas!!!!

Painy

I've just been watching some recent YouTube videos of Glenn Hughes live using his Orange rig and the sound I'm getting at the moment though my TE AH350SMX and using a few pedals is in the same kind of ball park tonally (full, round low end with grindy, aggressive highs) but I'd like to try and get a little closer if I can.
Unfortunately the AD200 heads are well out of my price range (even if I saved up enough my wife would castrate me for spending it all on an amp) but I'm wondering how close the OB1-500 gets to the sound of the AD200 - particularly in terms of that valve powered low end (oh alright then, heft. There, I said it).
Anybody got any experience of both amps that can give some insight into the similarities and differences in sound between them?

I had an all Orange rig. It sounded stunning but it was FAR too heavy, more so the cabinets.

The AD200b is a nice simple powerful tube amp. Warm, with a lot of bite if you want it.

Personally, I think tubes are much more of a 6 string guitar necessity. Whilst they always sound great, I think they are more crucial to a guitar sound. A good quality solid state bass amp of say 500W with a high end gain pedal and you will get so close with a lot more headroom.

Unless I toured with a band properly again, I wouldn't opt for a full tube amp for bass.

I do however think the Orange solid state amps are worth your time. If they still made it, I would suggest the Bass Terror!

Thanks for that.
I do think the difference between valves and class AB is less obvious than between AB and class D to be honest.

I've also been chatting a bit with dood as he's reviewed these amps and was impressed by them.

Now I just need a convincing story to tell Mrs Painy about why getting one of these amps is absolutely essential.
Possibly something to do with halting global warming while bringing about world peace and an end to all hunger or something like that......

Loving my OB1-500. I can't talk to the AD200 though.

Through my barefaced four10 it is huge sounding, both clean and with varying degrees of dirt blended in. Loudest rig I've ever owned.

I think it may be a bit marmite, but for rock music I think it's the knackers.

I think this isn't the first Orange gas thread in recent times. My guess is that the new Four stroke has something to do with it.

I have the Orange OBC 115 & 210 cabs and using with my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro. Nice warm sound.
I've considered the AD200b after trying a mates thru a 8x10 Hartke cab and it was full, warm and loud. It had a presence that my Ampeg or GK amps just don't have.
Price put me off as i reckon you wouldn't notice the difference once a full band is playing and i would be thru a PA most times anyway.

I did look at the other Orange amps but didn't see the point if i already have the Ampeg and GK1001rbii heads.

I would like to see a head to head with the AD200b and the OB1-500 heads thru same cab. And to find out if they both sound full and warm in a band set up rather than just hearing the bass in a room on its own.

Dave

Unfortunately, even a very cheap second hand AD200 is out of my price range at the moment.
Having enquired today with PMT as to what they'd give me for my AG500 as a trade in (not generally the way to get the best deal obviously anyway) I'd still have to save up for a couple of months before I could manage even the OB1 300!
Oh the joys of paying for bringing up 3 kids!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1505839113' post='3374685']
[url="https://youtu.be/2DoxVI-GovA"]https://youtu.be/2DoxVI-GovA[/url] here,s how an Orange terror 500 sounds live
[/quote]

That was good. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Bass sounds good and the Entwistle sound was excellent. Nice touch.

Realy liking the band. Amp sounds good too. :D

What cab you using ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1505936393' post='3375389']
Unfortunately, even a very cheap second hand AD200 is out of my price range at the moment.
Having enquired today with PMT as to what they'd give me for my AG500 as a trade in (not generally the way to get the best deal obviously anyway) I'd still have to save up for a couple of months before I could manage even the OB1 300!
Oh the joys of paying for bringing up 3 kids!
[/quote]

Trade the kids in for the AD200b. Should get a good deal on them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Painy- I heard that rig live when Glenn was on tour, end even with his crappy bitsa Nash bass it sounded absolutely immense.

If you like that sound in the videos you will love it live, seeing him play and listening to him changed a lot of my thoughts on sound and gear etc (I don’t have orange stuff myself BTW) and was a real changer for me.

Hope you get to your goal

Well after all that I've been distracted by something shiny in the for sale section and it looks like a trade is on the cards.

I'm thinking now I may just keep saving up even if it takes me another year and then see if I can pick up an AD200 second hand.

In the mean time I guess I'll just have fun trying to get as close as possible to that tone with what I have :).

The Orange GAS hasn't gone, I'm just suppressing it for a while ;).

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1506768885' post='3380978']
Painy- I heard that rig live when Glenn was on tour, end even with his crappy bitsa Nash bass it sounded absolutely immense.

If you like that sound in the videos you will love it live, seeing him play and listening to him changed a lot of my thoughts on sound and gear etc (I don’t have orange stuff myself BTW) and was a real changer for me.

Hope you get to your goal
[/quote]

I've seen Glenn a few times now (once with a Vigier through a Hughes & Kettner rig and the other times a Jazz through an SVT) and his sound has always been great. The sound of this Orange rig just seems to have a magical something extra to my ears though.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1506777686' post='3381061']

I've seen Glenn a few times now (once with a Vigier through a Hughes & Kettner rig and the other times a Jazz through an SVT) and his sound has always been great. The sound of this Orange rig just seems to have a magical something extra to my ears though.
[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more, he is defo getting better with age and what a voice to boot