Why become a member? ×

Buying my first 5 string, advice?

benroch

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1505770981' post='3374254']
+1 also to Cuzzie's comments about Nordstrands (although choice of PUPs is, of course, ultimately down to personal preference). If you can get a used Ibanez SR Premium with big single Nordstrand PUPs you will have a bass that is light with one of the easiest to play necks and IMHO a great tone.
[/quote]

One thing to be aware of, talking about 5 string SR's is the string spacing. I just couldn't get on with the 16.5mm string spacing. YMMV. 19mm on the BTB V.

String spacing is definitely something that requires consideration, for a IV player contemplating their first V. Not sure whether that has already been discussed in this thread, just throwing it out there.....

Edited by clivem

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1506129090' post='3376675']
35" scale, you want that B to be piano like in tone and sustain.
[/quote]

I used to think that until I had a 33" scale ACG with a B string better than all the 35" scales I'd played and almost as good as a 37" Dingwall. It's stiffness of construction that makes the difference I think...

Try before you buy of you can, and try EVERYTHING you can!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1506154648' post='3376735']

I used to think that until I had a 33" scale ACG with a B string better than all the 35" scales I'd played and almost as good as a 37" Dingwall. It's stiffness of construction that makes the difference I think...

Try before you buy of you can, and try EVERYTHING you can!
[/quote]

You're damn right my friend, ALWAYS try before you buy.

As for scale length, I find the 35" is a good length to get that piano like tone with clarity. I find with Dingwalls tend to be favoured amongst 5/6 players who like to downtune, so B strings down rattle and so it serves them well with 37".

Now I'm not saying that's the right way or what everyone has a Dingwall for, but just from my experience.

Admittedly the Yamaha TRB aren't cheap basses but speaking of scale length and a bass made well... try one and let me know how that B string sounds ;)

When you think you know what you want: buy used, buy something that sells pretty easily, and check plenty of prices beforehand to make sure you get a good deal. That way if you don't like it you just sell it on and do the same again. You might lose a little bit, but nothing like the hit you will take if you buy new and sell second hand.

Always try before you buy. I've just broken that and my second hand rule for a Maruszcsyk but it'll be the only time I do it.

Older Ibanez BTB basses come down into your price range sometimes.

Yamaha TRBX's. Well within your budget. They are very consistent. Lakland 55-01 used. Good platform to upgrade pickups and preamp later when you find it a bit lacking. Of course 55-02 too.

Also checkout bassdirect's ibanez recently. There's a SR1405 for £575 used. Couldn't beat that price!

Edited by MikanHannille

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1506241429' post='3377203']
Also checkout bassdirect's ibanez recently. There's a SR1405 for £575 used. Couldn't beat that price!
[/quote]

I saw that on Facebook yesterday and was shocked! It's a crazy low price, especially since you don't see those SRs in that colour very often.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1506129090' post='3376675']
35" scale, you want that B to be piano like in tone and sustain.
[/quote]

IME 35" is used as a cheap fix for makes that think they can get away with using the same construction on their 5-string basses as they use on their 4-string basses. It rarely works. Out of all the 5-string basses I have owned the 35" basses had by far the worst sounding and feeling low B strings. You need to go to 36" at least in order for scale length alone to be solution to getting a decent low B. Alternatively you could just buy a 34" scale string that has been properly made to cope with a good low B-string.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1506341719' post='3378020']

IME 35" is used as a cheap fix for makes that think they can get away with using the same construction on their 5-string basses as they use on their 4-string basses. It rarely works. Out of all the 5-string basses I have owned the 35" basses had by far the worst sounding and feeling low B strings. You need to go to 36" at least in order for scale length alone to be solution to getting a decent low B. Alternatively you could just buy a 34" scale string that has been properly made to cope with a good low B-string.
[/quote]

Truer words haven't been spoken but as for "buying my first 5 string" this is quite a feat for trying most basses and almost a budget easily uoto £1000 and most cheap 5 strings being 34" just flop and fart over the show.

That's from my experience anyway.

I have no idea what basses you guys have been playing but better ones are out there.

My 34" basses were Wal and Sadowsky. My 35" basses were Lull and Lakland. All 5 string and all excellent B strings.

As a starter 5 string a Lakland Skyline 55-01 at £400 from the classifieds is a great 5 string bass for the money.

You certainly don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good B string. For fear of sounding like a stuck record - the Yamaha BB425 has a great B string, not a lot different to that on my MM Sterling 5. I also had a Peavey Foundation 5 for a while - these can be picked up for under £250 secondhand if you are lucky. That was fantastic quality.

[quote name='benroch' timestamp='1505753949' post='3374047']
Any suggestions for good 5 string basses to play Rock and Jazz mainly? Been looking at fender style basses and at modern styles
probably looking second hand rather than new!
[/quote]

There are plenty of top bassists out there playing 5 string Fenders. They are not my favourite bass in a 5 string format but these guys (most of them better bass players than me) make them work so they can't be bad, just not my preference.

People will give you their preferences like they're fact. They are not, so don't get hung up on negative comments. You have some time before you are up to budget so listen to all opinions and experiences, play some basses and make up your own mind.

Interesting scale chat. A good bass is a good bass. I've had a bunch of very handy 5 string 34" scale basses including Stingrays, a Sterlingray, Bass Collections, A G&L L1505 and tribute L2500 and an ESP Ltd Surveyor 405. The ESP's are definitely worth a look if you are on a tight budget .

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1506409251' post='3378448']
You certainly don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good B string. For fear of sounding like a stuck record - the Yamaha BB425 has a great B string, not a lot different to that on my MM Sterling 5. I also had a Peavey Foundation 5 for a while - these can be picked up for under £250 secondhand if you are lucky. That was fantastic quality.
[/quote]

Indeed. But what about that bridge?!?!

Like others have said, try as many as you can.

People make a lot of fuss about string spacing, for me at least it is not really a consideration. More important is the construction and quality of the wood.

Yamaha build amazing instruments, as do Ibanez. Every Fender 5 string I've played have always left me a bit urgh. I once owned a USA 5 string Marcus Miller bass that was pretty awful.

I'd save a little more and buy a used Overwater, or maybe try one of their budget models, which are really excellent for the price.

+1 for trying as many as you can - I spent more than 6 months searching for a 5 string trying as many makes and models as possible. I ended up buying a new Stingray 5 and am still, 15 yrs later, very pleased with it. Second choices were Lakland, Warwick and Yamaha, all good in their own right also - at the time Fender's offerings were very high end or Mexican, and I didn't like either the neck profiles or their sounds.

If you're anything like me you may prefer new basses rather than used - if so a Sterling by Musicman Sub 5 new may fit your budget, but for a similar price a used SBMM Ray 35 might be had, and this would give you more flexibility in sound with the 3 band EQ and three way switch - the core tone would also be good, as well as the B string sound on either.

The Stingray 5 was one of the first mass production 5 string basses and although is designed around the original Stingray concept, it was designed from scratch as a 5 string - my experience is it works extremely well - the Ray 35 is largely the same bass with some savings in component quality and Far East assembly.