Why become a member? ×

Gibson "oversized" Les Paul bass...

bassmayhem

A few years ago I had the opportunity to play the 34" oversized Les Paul bass. At first I was a bit sceptical, due to [i]the fact that it was just a guitar with a long shaf[/i]t. But after a few hours playing the thing I found it really nice. At least playing sitting down. When standing, it felt a little bit awkward, like it wasn't hanging on your body, but a little bit in front of your body. (Everything feels awkward when you are raised up with Fender basses.) Anyway, the total impression was that it was a really good bass, but at the time I had no need or use for it. Now - all of a sudden - a nice bass at a more than nice price has surfaced, making my G.A.S. pressure rise.

The last posts I've seen about this particular instrument/model are some years old. Is anyone out there sitting on some valuable input? Any experience in the bass? I'd be glad to hear before I do or don't do anything stupid...

Edited by bassmayhem

I had one of the earlier, "original/proper" sized ones and it was great, really deep and warm sound that was easy enough to add some bite to, to stop it becoming mush. It sat a lot lower on the tonal spectrum than my Fender Precision, when plugging the trusty P-Bass into the same amp/same settings it just sounded like Mid-City in comparison. I used mine for heavy rock, to provide that low rumbling foundation on which the guitar heroes build their egos. it worked very well for that, kindof like a Thunderbird, but portable and easy to play.

I owned one of these for a good year or two and loved it. Sure, it was body heavy and the neck waved around a bit for it.. I'd have also loved this without the Warwick style bridge (a bit weighty) and modern tuners for the newer styled bridges and clover tuners.
Playability on the neck was easy, quite rounded necks compared to fenders but what would you expect for a Les Paul bass?

Tonally, it was an unusual sound. Quite a weak output but I could play for ages dialling the pickups in or the adjusting the tone.

Real nice basses.