Why become a member? ×

Why does high action sound better than low?

markdavid

I don't think high action necessarily sounds better [i]per se, [/i]but it definitely does sound different. I much prefer the sound and playability of a low action because I actually want a bit of clang and buzz when I dig in to emphasise a bit of aggression. Others may favour the opposite approach for equally valid reasons. There is no right and wrong to this. Everyone to their own taste!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1505832348' post='3374626']
That could be it. I know that if you don't take care to get a good break angle over the nut on a Fender-style bass, particularly on the A string, you can have problems.
[/quote]

Yes, hence the added the A string clamp to pull the string downward. If it vibrates in the slot, it affects the string tone.

After a lengthy period of both my hands starting to hurt after long gigs, I set the action on my main bass a fair
bit lower than I used to have it, and started playing with less attack. The results were almost immediate - both
my hands stopped being so painful, particularly my left (fretting) hand which suffers from the dreaded Dupytren's
Contracture - details here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dupuytrens-contracture/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Would recommend anyone having similar problems to give it a try, certainly worked for me. May take a bit of getting
used to, particularly if you've a hard hitting technique, but I found you don't need to dig in that much to get something
like what you're used to soundwise. Touch more volume on the amp helps too.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505835052' post='3374654']
Does high action sound better than low action? No. . . . it depends how your bass is set up and how you play it.

If your strings are hitting the frets to the point that the notes are prevented from sounding good then it's either a bad set up or inappropriate technique. Don't blame the action!

If you want a low action you can't just crank the bridge saddles down to make the bass play easier. That's only half the job. You've got to make sure the frets are even, the nut and pickups are at the right height and your technique is such that you can play the strings with a much lighter touch. Then the low action can work and sound good.

If you "dig in" then only a higher action will work.
[/quote] My strings are not hitting the frets with low action, my technique is sound and I play with a fairly light touch, I just find that for whatever reason a higher action produces a slightly different tone which is (imho) a better tone

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1505840312' post='3374697']
My strings are not hitting the frets with low action, my technique is sound and I play with a fairly light touch, I just find that for whatever reason a higher action produces a slightly different tone which is (imho) a better tone[/quote]

It probably does. I wasn't really talking about you specifically, but generally trying to cover some of the other comments that followed your first post.

Maybe you're noticing a difference in the sound caused by the pick up height between a high and low action. Assuming you didn't adjust the pickups when you adjusted the action.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505835052' post='3374654']
Does high action sound better than low action? No. . . . it depends how your bass is set up and how you play it.

If your strings are hitting the frets to the point that the notes are prevented from sounding good then it's either a bad set up or inappropriate technique. Don't blame the action!
You've got to make sure the frets are even
[/quote]

I agree with this.

Makes sense that a string not hitting anything as it vibrates is going to ring 'truer'.

Also, the gap between pickups & string is a factor. If you can run with a totally buzz free low action, you might have to lower the pickups too. Something I've read somewhere about 'microphonics' or some such thing I don't really understand!!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1505820047' post='3374515']
I agree, sounds better, lower action sounds "choked" as discreet says, no idea if there's any truth in it
[/quote]

If lower action sounds choked, it's too low or the player is too heavy handed. Action can be tweaked down to nearly impossibly low heights that preserve a stunning fundamental, provided the frets are dressed well enough to cope. High action can work well on cheap or poorly made instruments, because it doesn't require such a good balance of setup in terms of neck relief, fret height, pick up height, saddle heights etc.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1505835257' post='3374658']
I really dont think pickup height has anything to do with it.
[/quote]

It definitely does. Pickups contain strong magnets, and strings are made of magnetic materials (i.e. metal). Hold a string against the pickup and you will feel the force of attraction. That force is still there when the bass is played, but gets weaker as the string is further from the pickup. If the pickups are set very high (close to the strings) then the magnet attracts the string and prevents it vibrating as much. The sound may be louder, but sustain will be affected, as will the overall tone.

It is a useful thing to fiddle about with...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1505987924' post='3375636']
It definitely does. Pickups contain strong magnets, and strings are made of magnetic materials (i.e. metal). Hold a string against the pickup and you will feel the force of attraction. That force is still there when the bass is played, but gets weaker as the string is further from the pickup. If the pickups are set very high (close to the strings) then the magnet attracts the string and prevents it vibrating as much. The sound may be louder, but sustain will be affected, as will the overall tone.

It is a useful thing to fiddle about with...
[/quote]

Absolutely.
Something vintage Strat players found out a long time ago - pickups too high causing all sorts of problems.

Pickup height has much more of an effect on tone than what the fretboard is made of. You can even try it for yourself.
Take a note of your pickup height, then adjust the screws at the outer edges of the pickups (don't adjust the poles). You'll notice a change in tone and volume.