Why become a member? ×

Pricing for 1995 EBMM Stingray 4H

Yaanmengk

Was just in a music store and came across this 1995 Stingray with a birdseye neck.
Plays amazing and in immaculate condition, GAS'ing pretty hard and I was given the price of 1600 euro which seemed quite a bit more expensive than what i'm seeing on the 2nd hand market.
I'm sure if i'm very serious about it i could bring it down a bit but I just wanted some feedback from anyone who's more experienced with the pricing of the Stingrays?

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1505923448' post='3375281']
I think in a private sale 800-900 euros would be the going rate, so a shop sale maybe 1100 euros? 1600 certainly seems overpriced
[/quote][quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1505930185' post='3375334']
Yeah, even Andy Baxter only puts them up at about 1200, so 1600's defo a bit steep.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided not to get it anyway just because my brother is studying in the US and he could just bring one home for me

I can buy two new ones for 1800 and 1850 euro respectively, so 1600 euro for a used one seems quite steep. OK it does have a BEM neck but that only has visual appeal, in terms of tone and playabilty it isn't any better or worse than plain maple. Does it come with its case for that price or do you have to fork out more for a case?

Importing one from the US is an option, do factor in the customs duties & VAT. These can amount to ~25% (where I live), sometimes importing one is a bad option financially... YMMV.

Edited by Treb

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1505972025' post='3375519']
I can buy two new ones for 1800 and 1850 euro respectively, so 1600 euro for a used one seems quite steep. OK it does have a BEM neck but that only has visual appeal, in terms of tone and playabilty it isn't any better or worse than plain maple. Does it come with its case for that price or do you have to fork out more for a case?

Importing one from the US is an option, do factor in the customs duties & VAT. These can amount to ~25% (where I live), sometimes importing one is a bad option financially... YMMV.
[/quote]

It comes with the original case for that price
I should've specified, I meant home as in Singapore so I would not get taxed for importing the guitar. Though I'm currently studying in Ireland

[quote name='Yaanmengk' timestamp='1505922345' post='3375266']
Was just in a music store and came across this 1995 Stingray with a birdseye neck.
Plays amazing and in immaculate condition, GAS'ing pretty hard and I was given the price of 1600 euro which seemed quite a bit more expensive than what i'm seeing on the 2nd hand market.
I'm sure if i'm very serious about it i could bring it down a bit but I just wanted some feedback from anyone who's more experienced with the pricing of the Stingrays?
[/quote]

That price would be ballpark for something like a 20th anniversary Stingray... way too much for a standard one.

[quote name='Yaanmengk' timestamp='1505975691' post='3375529']
It comes with the original case for that price
I should've specified, I meant home as in Singapore so I would not get taxed for importing the guitar.
[/quote]

There's no levy on imports in Singapore? Wow, lucky you!

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1505990261' post='3375662']

There's no levy on imports in Singapore? Wow, lucky you!
[/quote]

Comes with its disadvantages.
Retailers shoot the prices up.
The shipping costs can very easily match the would be tax
We don't get to play the instruments due to lack of availability

It only makes sense to get it when we're on holiday, but then you gotta factor in the cost of traveling etc.