Why become a member? ×

The Impossibility Of Chuck Berry Licks

Happy Jack

We're trying to re-form Mick's Lawmen as a strictly old-school rock & roll band. All we need is a guitarist.

OK, slightly more accurately, all we need is a guitarist who can play the classic rock & roll guitar licks. You know - Mick Green, Buddy Holly, Scotty Moore. And, of course, Chuck Berry.

Now I grew up listening to Chuck, sometimes filtered through The Beatles and The Stones, more frequently in the raw original. I recognise that they're harder than they sound, but I had no idea how hard.

We must have had half a dozen guitarists pass through so far, and not one of them was able to[list]
[*]Match the right intro lick to the right song,
[*]Play all the famous Chuck licks,
[*]Play the licks in the right position on the neck,
[*]Actually, y'know, [i][b]sound [/b][/i]a bit like Chuck.
[/list]
We've had the ludicrous situation of a bassist (me) having to show multiple guitarists how the lick goes - on bass, of course - while the drummer (Mick) tells them how to adjust the EQ on their guitar & amp to get closer to the right sound.

These are guys who can match perfectly to Mick Green, Buddy Holly, Scotty Moore, Eddie Cochran, Duane Eddy, you name it. They're competent guitar players.

But Chuck Berry? They all [i][b]think [/b][/i]they can play Chuck, some of them play a bit like Keith Richard, most of them get nowhere near.

When we started looking, it never occurred to Mick and me that the ability to play Sweet Little Sixteen would be a deal-breaker. Did we miss something?

Your not alone Jack. Over the years I've found the same. It's a bit like getting the rest of the band to play Sweet Home Alabama correctly. Impossible.

You could always ask Michael J Fox. ;)

Edited by obbm

A lot of what we now think to be "Simple" songs or licks are much more difficult than they sound. Might have a lot to do with the fact that 50s and 60s music was largely recorded without click tracks, and obviously, no computer grid. When a take felt right, it was deemed to be right, and that was the one released. The old phrase "Its not what you play but how and where you play it" was never more true than when you try and nail a R n R or early Rock song. We have all been seduced by Technique over musicality, and correctness over creativity during the last few decades. If it feels good it usually is good. The essence of Rock and Roll.

Playing Chuck stuff properly is nigh on impossible. As you point out, most guitarists [i]think [/i]they can do it
okay, but in reality mostly don't get close in my experience.
Tone is something rarely sorted properly - although in later years Chuck used Gibson 345/355's a lot,
most of his hits in the 50's/early 60's were played on a Gibson ES350. The earlier versions had single coil P90
pickups, later switching to humbuckers. Thinline hollow body and a short scale too, so not an easy guitar sound to
replicate, before you attempt Chuck's amazing style.

Maybe too soon, but has anybody seen or considered doing a Chuck tribute show at all?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1505997754' post='3375744']
What, you mean turn up late without a band, have a quick run through with some local guys in the Gents toilet, play a 30-minute set and then walk off, no encores?

Sounds like a winner to me ...

:lol:
[/quote]

Err, excuse me - 60 minute set, to the second.... :D

What, you mean turn up late without a band, have a quick run through with some local guys in the Gents toilet, play a 30-minute set and then walk off, no encores?

[/quote]

Having already been paid in cash up front - no money no show. Sounds great.

Ahhh... Chuck made it [i]sound [/i]easy... there's the rub.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1505996955' post='3375738']
Maybe too soon, but has anybody seen or considered doing a Chuck tribute show at all?
[/quote]

Getting a convincing 'Chuck' is going to be the problem there, hence this thread. Not so much a drummer and bass player... no-one remembers them as they were whoever turned up on the day...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1505990546' post='3375664']

We must have had half a dozen guitarists pass through so far, and not one of them was able to[list]
[*]Match the right intro lick to the right song,
[/list]
[/quote]

Sounds like they've at least nailed that aspect of Chuck's playing. He was notorious for starting songs with the wrong intro.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1506010433' post='3375890']
Sounds like they've at least nailed that aspect of Chuck's playing. He was notorious for starting songs with the wrong intro.
[/quote]

Wrong intro, wrong key, wrong song - Chuck was well known for sometimes repeating a song he'd played earlier in
the set too - all part of the Chuck magic. I suppose with a fair few of his tunes having near identical intros / guitar parts
it was inevitable really.

[/quote]
Famous for using pickup bands, but probably without the run through in the Gents.
More like a quick key shout out if pressed!

Might be an idea to find a guitarist with the tenacity to get stuck in and learn all the Chuck riffs, rather than the slim chance of finding one who already has it down perhaps?
Not an easy task I guess.

I was looking at that recently. We used to do it in my group, and it went really well, but the guitarist decided he wasn't doing the intro properly and wanted to do it properly and won't do it until he can, so I looked at what 'proper' was.

A friend of mine does guitar lessons and stuff, and noticed that he had a lesson on it, sounds pretty good:

https://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk/course/johnny-b-goode-by-chuck-berry-masterthatriff-94/

It could be because they're trying to play his licks with E standard tuning

I'm reading a bio of an Aussie band, The Angels, who were Chuck's band for a down under tour in the late 70s.

On setting up the guitarist tried Chuck's guitar, realised it was way out of tune and tuned it up for Chuck.

Chuck couldn't play it, he had to retune it, I'm guessing to an open G chord like Keef does.

Chuck used standard tuning as far as I'm aware. However, he was renowned for being somewhat casual regarding
accuracy. Just before walking onstage, I've seen him backstage with his Gibson 355 neck up to his ear trying to tune up, then
walk on with his guitar in tune with itself, but subsequently not in concert pitch like the rest of the band.
First couple of numbers were 'interesting' until he got it sorted!
Never really understood why this didn't appear to overly bother him. ( There are quite a few clips on YT showing this.)
All part of the Chuck legend I guess.