Why become a member? ×

Selmer Twin bass 30 1966

itsmedunc

Just picked one of these up at a good enough price today. No doubt it will need a bit of work. One of the pots is a bit crackly and it hasnt been used in a long time. All working though!

It's going to a valve tech wizard on Saturday for the "real" verdict.

There's been a couple of threads about these in the past concerning good pairings with cabs etc but that was a while ago. Has anyone any recommendations of which compact cab would be suitable or even drivers to fit in an enclosure?

It says written on the back 8ohm. I'm hoping it will go to 4 but won't really know 100% until Saturday. Unless of course we have our own "wizard" on BC?

Edited by itsmedunc

with valve amps you can go lower but not higher, but having an impedance mismatch will mean less power. At those sorts of wattages though it's not that massive difference. So running it into 4ohm will be fine.

As to speakers you'll want the most cone area possible to get maximum sensitivity. Great amps though and use some cool valves

Hi, thanks for the insight. I'm not sure it will be powerful enough to gig with because of compact cab constraints (space issues at home). I've been thinking Barefaced Midget/Compact or there are some 12" empty JBL enclosures for sale on here. I'd love to go "Large" but space and the old back dictate otherwise!

[quote name='aitkenaudio' timestamp='1506032784' post='3376081']
Maybe you should invest in a nice speaker level DI to go with it and hopefully a midget will be loud enough for stage monitoring
[/quote]

Ummmm, thats interesting. Any recommendations? I actually use in ears but the guitarist would still need a bit of bass. Would like us all to have the option too, just in case...

I've gigged with just a Midget and they're deceptively loud (with my Markbass Little Marks)!! They obviously benefit for a bit of elevation closer to your ear.

A guitarist mate has a couple of the Treble N Bass amps, slightly older, with the original cabs (which were 1x15 I think). I've done some recording through them, and I don't think it's the cab situation that will be your issue. They're just 50 Watt tube amps, so putting bass through them, they're probably going to start breaking up before you get to a medium gig volume.....which might be the tone you're after.

Si

I use one of the inexpensive Studiospares d.I. boxes on the speaker out of my 15W Ashdown valve amp and it works a treat. It has a 3-way attenuator so you have a nice choice of levels to send to a desk or recorder. The speaker just plugs in to the through socket. I think it's good for at least 60W amps, iirc.
https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/DI-Boxes/Studiospares-Dual-Passive-DI-Box_449300.htm