Why become a member? ×

Who has tried Nordwall Dingstrand/ Nordstrand Dingwall FD3N pick ups in a normal bass!

ForbiddenWytch

Hi!

I have a bass that's got stupid pick up routs, 5 string (EMG 40) sized soapbar routs but it's a 4 string bass. Bit odd if you ask me but I love the bass so never selling it.

Anyway, I've tried 5 or 6 different sets of pick ups in it and it's never been exactly what I wanted sound wise then I started hearing some of the Dingwall Combustions and that sound is much closer to what I want. I have Neodymium pick ups in another bass so thinking these will do the trick.

My main question is, has anyone ever tried some of the Dingwall pick ups in a parallel fretted bass and have you noticed any loss in signal or anything like that? Ordering direct from Dingwall, I can get the pick ups for about £150 which is a good price. I'll then get one of their 4 way rotary pots for the bridge/both parallel/both series/neck configuration.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is ancient, but I'm having the opposite problem as you! I have an older Dingwall Combustion with the square pickups and want to put FD3s in it, problem is that Dingwall doesn't offer them in the old shell style anymore. The EMG-40 shells will work but these Nordstrand FD3s are marketed for parallel fret basses with a 18-19mm spacing. 

Now Nordstrand and other members of the Dingwall community have told me that these are the exact same spacing, wind, spec as the Canadian made FD3 but I'll have to wait until I get them. Supposedly they have a little more top end compared to the FD3n that comes stock in the Combustion.

Edited by DingwallDingus
Clarification