Why become a member? ×

Rush documentary Netflix

oldslapper

Had a few days in bed (on deaths door obvs) with man flu, so watched a load of music documentaries on Netflix.

Ran out of bands/artists I liked, so decided to watch the Rush documentary.

Not a fan by any stretch, always appreciated their musicianship mind.

Anyhoo, I was left with the impression that they were a really nice bunch of blokes.
Geddy & Alex's relationship seemed really warm & genuine, very little in the way of egotistic willy waving. Neil seemed to be the "loner" geeks'geek & I was moved by Neil's bereavement, & the way he dealt with it.
Also, other than Geddy looking like the local warlock, Alex & Neil wouldn't look out of place at a librarians picnic.

Having watched Eagles & police documentaries, where ego's and power struggles were pretty ugly, it was a refreshing change.
Yes I still wouldn't choose to listen to their music, but I know who I'd rather hang out with.

Of course it could be a massive publicity stunt, but I doubt it....."nice" ain't very rocknroll

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506180749' post='3376941']
If it's the one I've seen, it is indeed a really documentary. Did it have them in a restaurant having a meal at the end? They do seem very genuine, normal guys (for rock stars at least).
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. The scene in the restaurant shows them all as very self effacing.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1506180663' post='3376939']
Agree with oldslapper. Made me sad it's all over...

(Whispers - still preferred his Rick)
[/quote]

Am I right in thinking that he didn't actually use the Ric as much as peeps in general think? For me the Jazz bass he was using had the best tone YMMV of course :)

Great band though, seen them several times although annoying missed the R40 tour.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1506322983' post='3377802']
Am I right in thinking that he didn't actually use the Ric as much as peeps in general think? For me the Jazz bass he was using had the best tone YMMV of course :)

Great band though, seen them several times although annoying missed the R40 tour.
[/quote]

I think he used Rics a lot (if not exclusively) live during the 70's / early 80's. It's up for debate on what he used to record. There are a few interviews where Geddy says even he can't remember.....

Back on topic, 'Beyond the lighted stage' is great.

The other more recent one 'Time stand still' is a documentary about the R40 tour and the end of the band, certainly as a live entity anyway. It's a bittersweet watch TBH if you're a big fan.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1506333542' post='3377917'] 'Time stand still' is a documentary about the R40 tour and the end of the band, certainly as a live entity anyway. It's a bittersweet watch TBH if you're a big fan.
[/quote]

Indeed. I can't help feeling that there is a degree of disappointment/regret/animosity between Neil and the other two. He wanted to stop, they didn't. They have to respect [b][i]his[/i][/b] decision... A certain amount of bitterness is discernable - although maybe some of that is me transferring my own onto them :(

That said, Geddy's voice is definitely on the slide and although he can get away with it (to a certain extent) live, the recordings of the last few tours can make a pretty grim listen. Why won't he drop the keys? :blink: :D

I've always felt as though the whole thing has been on borrowed time since the late 90's when Neil's wife and daughter died. Neil was effectively done then and the band were forced to confront the reality that Rush could have been finished.

Luckily, that wasn't the case and Neil came back after a period of personal healing and carried on, but I always had the sense after that that the end of Rush would be signalled by Neil calling it a day. They made some great music afterwards and I was able to see them live twice, on the Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine tours.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506376855' post='3378380']I know I'm probably in the minority, but the album I like least, and I don't DISLIKE it, is Caress of Steel. Each to their own I guess.
[/quote]

Actually, there are a lot of Rush fans who find Caress of Steel challenging! Ironically, it is just about my favourite Rush album (although Moving Pictures, Grace under pressure and Hemispheres are pretty awesome too). I struggle (relatively) with anything after Test for Echo as (for me) they lost their subtlety and variation. Still, my least favourite Rush album (whichever it happens to be at the time, currently Clockwork Angels) is still a great album B)

Each to their own pretty much sums up being a Rush fan I think! :lol:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1506587452' post='3379684'] I struggle (relatively) with anything after Test for Echo as (for me) they lost their subtlety and variation. Still, my least favourite Rush album (whichever it happens to be at the time, currently Clockwork Angels) is still a great album B)
[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up for me. The songs, arrangements and production get weaker, and Neil's lyrics start to suck a bit.

(And I'm a MASSIVE fan.)