Why become a member? ×

Rush documentary Netflix

oldslapper

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1506587671' post='3379688']

That pretty much sums it up for me. The songs, arrangements and production get weaker, and Neil's lyrics start to suck a bit.

(And I'm a MASSIVE fan.)
[/quote]I have to agree with the production comment, it became just so 'dense'. Still, there are some real gems amongst the also rans on those albums; Far Cry still does it for me every time I hear it.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506589028' post='3379704']
I have to agree with the production comment, it became just so 'dense'. Still, there are some real gems amongst the also rans on those albums
[/quote]

The remix of Vapour Trails is so much better than the original. I used to really dislike that album, but the remixed version revealed the quality in a lot of those songs. Well worth a few quid on Amazon if you don't have it (the album that is, not the cash!).

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vapor-Trails-Remixed-Rush/dp/B00E9P959O/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1506590042&sr=1-1&keywords=rush+vapour+trails"]http://www.amazon.c...h+vapour+trails[/url]

Now I just wish they'd to the same with Snakes and Arrows and (particularly) Clockwork Angels...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1506590019' post='3379719']
The remix of Vapour Trails is so much better than the original. I used to really dislike that album, but the remixed version revealed the quality in a lot of those songs. Well worth a few quid on Amazon if you don't have it.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vapor-Trails-Remixed-Rush/dp/B00E9P959O/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1506590042&sr=1-1&keywords=rush+vapour+trails"]http://www.amazon.c...h+vapour+trails[/url]

Now I just wish they'd to the same with Snakes and Arrows and (particularly) Clockwork Angels...
[/quote]

Yep - the VT remix is a million times better.

I don't get the adulation for Clockwork Angels. There's a few good tunes on it, but the arrangements are generic RAWK, and the production is lifeless.

Where are the great performances? The real standout instrumental breaks? Maybe they're buried under the kitchen sink, but I don't hear any.

IMO Rush's best tunes were written and refined when they were working as a band, not when they're - literally - being conducted by the producer.

Rant over :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1506590961' post='3379728']
Yep - the VT remix is a million times better.

I don't get the adulation for Clockwork Angels. There's a few good tunes on it, but the arrangements are generic RAWK, and the production is lifeless.

Where are the great performances? The real standout instrumental breaks? Maybe they're buried under the kitchen sink, but I don't hear any.

IMO Rush's best tunes were written and refined when they were working as a band, not when they're - literally - being conducted by the producer.

Rant over :-)
[/quote]

For me the last two albums have one memorable track each, Headlong Flight & Far Cry, the rest does suffer somewhat from, as has been said, very dense production, and a lack of real melodic moments.

My favourite period of Rush though is the 80s, I do love the keyboard infused albums, Power Windows I find faultless.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never got around to seeing the documentary on the R40 DVD, but, Beyond the Lighted stage is great, have watched it many times.

[quote name='vantagepointrocks' timestamp='1506596756' post='3379783'] Beyond the Lighted stage is great, have watched it many times.
[/quote]

Me too. It's one of my favourite Friday night watches (assuming there is nothing good on BBC4... :lol:).

Having re-read that, I need to get out gigging more again!! :blush: :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506598459' post='3379814']
Having said that, I haven't listened to it as a whole album for years, probably over 10. Might give it another go.
[/quote]

Word to the wise: You might want to consider skipping "I think I'm going bald" :lol:

I don't get this band. His voice sounds like a strangled cat, they look like dorks, they write streams of hippy goblin nonsense land there's slathers of horrible, tuneless, metal guitar over everything. Mysteriously, all the commenters reckon they're musical geniuses.

On the plus side they come across as nice fellas - but this rockumentary is dull as ditch water for all but die-hard fans.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1506613153' post='3379960']
I don't get this band. His voice sounds like a strangled cat, they look like dorks, they write streams of hippy goblin nonsense land there's slathers of horrible, tuneless, metal guitar over everything. Mysteriously, all the commenters reckon they're musical geniuses.
[/quote]

Was the same ever said about Stump? :yarr: :D Funnily enough, many Rush fans share this impression of them :blink:

Edited by Conan

On the plus side they come across as nice fellas - but this rockumentary is dull as ditch water for all but die-hard fans.
[/quote]

As I said in the OP, I don't like Rush's music, and the documentary didn't change that, but they came across as the polar opposite of the willy waving, egotist in- fighting nonsense of the bands who's music I actually like.

[/quote]

They're pros that cane up with something different at the right time.

They "made it", which only happens to a handful of bands.

And this is coming from someone who knows next to nothing about Rush.

Blue

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1506253692' post='3377301']
Added to my watch list. Just have to wait for Mrs Painy to have a night out now so I can watch it in peace :D.
[/quote]

buy her a ticket for a chick flick

what the heck,she's your wife, throw in popcorn too, don't wanna look cheap hehe

I'm a casual fan, got a couple of albums which I like but no urge to work my way through the back catalogue. The documentary was interesting but not very revealing. They're all too nice! I'm always in awe of the musicianship, no idea how Geddy plays bass so well and sings. It's made me want to practice to get be able to play faster for rockier stuff we do, preferably with my Jazz and a nice burpy tone.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506844858' post='3381399']

buy her a ticket for a chick flick

what the heck,she's your wife, throw in popcorn too, don't wanna look cheap hehe
[/quote]

Finally got around to watching it last night.
Unfortunately my little boy isn't feeling very well at the moment and wasn't sleeping so I volunteered to sit up with him while my wife got some sleep and used the time to watch this undisturbed.

I really enjoyed it! :)

[/quote]

In your opinion. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.