Why become a member? ×

Recommended spray gun?

SH73

Hi chatrers,
Does anyone own a spray gun and a compressor or has exprerience using one and recommended one. I've been can spray painting a guitar project and it costs an arm and a leg. Surely a quality spray gun is more expensive but in long term it pays off. I've got a few projects lined up.

Edited by SH73

Don't even think about the 'model maker' or small project type they flog on eBay as they are useless for anything bigger than a model tank. There are small pot (around 100ml) guns on eBay from china for around £10-15, I have one for small areas on clsssic cars I restore and it's fine. Gravity fed ones seem to work best at the cheap end of the market. You need to check how much ar they require as some can use stupid amounts. You really need a reservoir so avoid the cheap car tyre type compressors. 25litre would do but 50 is better. Then comes the paint, avoid two pack unless you have a spray booth and air fed mask. I have heard idiots saying they do it and hold their breath. The vapour is very toxic and potentially lethal so don't risk it. Best bet is to talk to a friendly auto paint shop guy and they will point you in the right direction. Mine now asks me 'cars or guitars?' when I go in.

I doubt it's an air fed mask though, the standard filter type are no good for two pack. It needs to be a full face positive feed type, theybarent cheap but are completely essential. I understand it can also be absorbed through the skin so needs full coverage. To be honest it's best just to avoid it, there are good alternatives that are far safer.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1506352954' post='3378149']
I doubt it's an air fed mask though, the standard filter type are no good for two pack. It needs to be a full face positive feed type, theybarent cheap but are completely essential. I understand it can also be absorbed through the skin so needs full coverage. To be honest it's best just to avoid it, there are good alternatives that are far safer.
[/quote]
What alternatives woukd you suggest?

I like cellulose. It gives a great finish, is easy to work with and can be cut back if you make mistakes. Acrylic is also good but can be a little harder to work with. Chances are you have been working with acrylic (sometimes known as one pack in some places) as it's common in spray cans.