Why become a member? ×

Difference between a zoom b3 and zoom ms60b

la bam

No looper, drum sounds, USB audio interface, headphone output on the MS60B. Different switching options, obviously more limited on the MS60B. Recent MS60B firmware updates have added loads of effects to the MS60B. There's probably more but that's what comes immediately to mind...

I've owned both the MS-60B and the B3n (which is the successor to the B3).

The B3 has a MUCH better user interface for both (i) creating and adjusting patches and for (ii) live use with three footswitches for the B3 (and six footswitches and pedals for the B3n) vs only one on the MS-60B which makes scrolling through patches during a set difficult.

The B3 is, overall, a much better piece of kit than the MS-60B. You can pick up a B3 for £70 second hand, the MS-60Bs are £85 new or £50 to £60 second hand.

The one (only) advantage of the MS-60B is it's smaller footprint.

If I had to choose between the two I would go for the B3 every time.

I've owned both, and as a 'multi' FX I'd go for the b3. On the ms60b, you can set up patches and you can switch between them but it's not the most flexible of process. However, I use the ms60b every gig I play. As I basically have but setup as Octaver > noise reduction > compressor > preamp. I have it sitting on the octaver so it's switchable on and off, and the others are always on. Plus it's my tuner. For me, it works brilliantly but I can see the limitations won't suit everyone.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1506291523' post='3377720']
Thanks. That's what I thought it might be.

I was considering a ms60b just as an on off pedal for my synth effect rather than continually switching my b3 and using the chorus and drive from my amp.
[/quote]

If you just want to use it like that, as you would a 'normal' stomp box, then it'll be fine.
I own both the B3 and the MS-60B. As others have said, for switching individual effects on and off, or changing patches the B3 is the one to go for. But for an individual effect/patch or always on sound, the MS-60B is perfect.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1506291523' post='3377720']
Thanks. That's what I thought it might be. I was considering a ms60b just as an on off pedal for my synth effect rather than continually switching my b3 and using the chorus and drive from my amp.
[/quote]

If are just going to be using the MS-60B for one only thing per live set (it's also a really good tuner pedal btw) then I agree it is a good option.

But if you know that you are going to use for [i]just[/i] one thing (e.g. synth) and not anything else then not sure whether it makes sense to have a multi-fx? I would have thought a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/312008-if-you-could-only-choose-one-filter-pedal/"]dedicated filter[/url] or octave/filter (e.g. COG T16) pedal would be better?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1506319912' post='3377786']

If are just going to be using the MS-60B for one only thing per live set (it's also a really good tuner pedal btw) then I agree it is a good option.

But if you know that you are going to use for [i]just[/i] one thing (e.g. synth) and not anything else then not sure whether it makes sense to have a multi-fx? I would have thought a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/312008-if-you-could-only-choose-one-filter-pedal/"]dedicated filter[/url] or octave/filter (e.g. COG T16) pedal would be better?
[/quote]

I'd agree with this. It's more a utility pedal for me. I don't think I'd buy another one just for one effect. Saying that, I've used it many a time just as atuner.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1506331447' post='3377874']
I'd agree with this. It's more a utility pedal for me. I don't think I'd buy another one just for one effect. Saying that, I've used it many a time just as atuner.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was using it mainly as a tuner too! (And for the occasional bit of tremolo), so in my case it really didn't justify staying on the board. I know Osiris quite likes the Zoom compressor sims also.