Why become a member? ×

Who are making good MM style basses

Harryburke14

In a random bout of GAS Ive been looking for something with a Music Man style pickup and sound. That being said, the few actual Music Mans (Music Men?) I have played I havent liked the weight of or the neck, but the sound has been killer.

So who are making good, cheapish clones? I know Cort do a something-or-other with a P or J pickup as well as the MM, and I do like the look of these, but any more recommendations?

There's a used Sandberg Basic up for sale on here, very similar to my own. Not quite as aggressive as a Ray but very much in the same ballpark, with a much skinnier neck and smaller, more comfortable body.

Be aware that many two-pickup basses with a MM at the bridge have that pickup a lot further back than the typical MM sweet spot, so you may not get the typical Ray sound you're after.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1506452738' post='3378900']
+1 for a USA SUB and then put a Nordstrand MM pick up in it.

It will be classic sounding
[/quote]

Each to their own, but I'm not entirely sure of the reason to change the pick up to an aftermarket copy - the USA Sub has the same basic pick up and electronics in use in Stingrays from the beginning of time (or 1979 in the case of the EQ as there were several revisions prior to that).

The people making the best Musicman style bass are, of course, Musicman!! There are lots of different types though, and different neck dimensions and finishes - just a case of finding the model which fits personal preference.

I have a USA Sub 5 and whilst it's a very cool bass in its own right, it's not a patch on my Stingray 5 - which has a great deal more versatility owing to the 3 band EQ, and series/parallel/single coil selection available - and gorgeous natural gloss finish.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1506269913' post='3377479']
That being said, the few actual Music Mans (Music Men?) I have played I havent liked the weight of or the neck, but the sound has been killer.

[/quote]
My EBMM USA Sterling is fairly light with a fantastic neck.
Yes I've seen some heavyweight SRs but comfortable MMs DO exist.
I suggest you play more

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1506472120' post='3379016']

Each to their own, but I'm not entirely sure of the reason to change the pick up to an aftermarket copy - the USA Sub has the same basic pick up and electronics in use in Stingrays from the beginning of time (or 1979 in the case of the EQ as there were several revisions prior to that).

The people making the best Musicman style bass are, of course, Musicman!! There are lots of different types though, and different neck dimensions and finishes - just a case of finding the model which fits personal preference.

I have a USA Sub 5 and whilst it's a very cool bass in its own right, it's not a patch on my Stingray 5 - which has a great deal more versatility owing to the 3 band EQ, and series/parallel/single coil selection available - and gorgeous natural gloss finish.
[/quote]

Yep, point well made, nothing against the stock pups, just highlighting potential variety for the OP if it was a good feeling bass, but maybe no quite right sounding for them

How about a Musicman Sterling?

To be honest I never got on with Stingrays (despite having owned about 10 of them over the years)

At the end of 2015 I had myself a stunning Stingray 5 with the ceramic pickup which sounded amazing but it was too heavy for me as at the time I had a shoulder injury so I began looking for something lighter. The obvious choice was a Sterling with the ceramic pickup and the same pickup switching of the SR5.

It's also lighter due to the smaller body and has the jazz width neck.

I only needed to go lower than E for a handful of songs so got a 4 string and added a Hipshot double stop so I could knock it down to D or B and a set of Ultralites to take a bit more weight off it. Never been happier and haven't had bass GAS since I got it.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1506494279' post='3379055']
Never been happier and haven't had bass GAS since I got it.
[/quote]
Likewise - my EBMM USA Sterling has completely cured my bass GAS...I've moved on to photography GAS which, believe me, is far more serious and damaging to your wallet. :(

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1506521954' post='3379320']
From experience, the Cort basses sound nothing like a Musicman (even my Bongo isn't that close to a Stingray). The closest i've had is an Ibanez ATK, it's killer.
[/quote]

I was going to mention the ATK's, but never having played one I wasn't sure.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1506523189' post='3379330']

I was going to mention the ATK's, but never having played one I wasn't sure.
[/quote]

My ATK does more than a Ray does with the 3 way coil selector. The neck position is unique never heard anything else sound like it. Slightly 4003 perhaps.

I may record a demo.

Edited by Machines

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1506443667' post='3378800']
Hiho get a USA SUB it,s the real deal with a gig proof finish not a coffee table finish.
[/quote]

The USA SUB is a great bass... but light they ain't. Heavy monsters all of them. Beautiful feel and sound 'though

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1506610396' post='3379932']
Wrong use of classic on my behalf!
[/quote]

oh, I see. I got it on a few posts later... :)

The MM4.2 is a nice pickup, but I still prefer the original. I had a MM4.2 on a Stingray copy and was pretty cool but lacked some 'aggression' the originals seem to have... this was using an original 2-band EBMM preamp, but there are so many other factors in the sound of a bass that i could never be sure teh sound i didn't like was the pickup or a combination of other things

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1506278631' post='3377559']
Also, the SUB Ray4 not only has a Jazz-width neck but the one I had was very light also being made from basswood.
[/quote]

I played a (non US) Sub a little while back in a shop near me. I feel the same as you re MM's. I had a lovely one a while back. Loved the look (it was trans Red) liked the sound, after a bit of fiddling / getting used to EQ'ing it - but it was heavy, and the neck was too chunky... So I tried a Sub that I liked the look of, and it was lighter than a US MM, and the neck was more of a Jazz profile / width. Though I didn't measure it accurately, I looked at it alongside a MM in the shop, and it was definitely narrower. Looked rather nice too, in a sort of Surf Green colour, and the finish was nice - though it definitely wasn't as nice quality as the "real thing"

I haven't tried one of those OLP MM basses, but I've heard people rave about them - and they seem to go for fairly reasonable cash second-hand.....
Good luck with your search

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1506609606' post='3379920']

The USA SUB is a great bass... but light they ain't. Heavy monsters all of them.
[/quote]

Not so - my USA Sub 5 is positively feather weight - so much so that whilst playing it seated, the neck over-balances causing neck dive - however it's fine on a strap. They have poplar bodies (which 90s era solid colours often have also).

Similarly with Stingrays - for the 4 string, generally about 9.5 lbs but there is variation both upwards and downwards - Sterlings may be lighter than this.

Stingray 5s are bigger basses, and may be 10.5 lbs - however some are lighter.

The Cutlass and Caprice seem to be around 8.5 lbs - great if you want an ultra playable P or PJ.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1506609606' post='3379920']

The USA SUB is a great bass... but light they ain't. Heavy monsters all of them. Beautiful feel and sound 'though
[/quote]

My USA SUB is 8.9lbs! It's light as a feather!