Why become a member? ×

Hi from Surrey

Kebabkid

Hi all,

Sorry, I rudely didn't introduce myself when I first signed up here.

I've been a guitarist for over 35 years (boo, boo) and played in different types of bands, done loads of function work and done a good few things with my good mate, monster player and fellow BC-er, Gary (Cetera) but in the last 2 years, and sort of by fluke as it started as a "one off dep", I've found myself playing bass in a friend's Madness/Ska tribute band called Cairo East and this has now developed into a regular gig. This is is slightly unusual for me as my bag is classic and melodic rock (AOR - Toto, Journey, Thin Lizzy, Steely Dan, Eagles, Doobies etc), funk (Chic & Nile Rodgers) and pop (The Police, Crowded House) but I love it and "Bedders" and Horace Panter are bass Gods. Just wonderful basslines.
[size=3][url="http://www.cairoeast.co.uk"]www.cairoeast.co.uk[/url] [/size]

I've not gone all out yet on my rig as at the moment, I feel like I'm married (the guitar) and the bass is my mistress but the following are serving me well but I think I'd love a Spector (Euro would be fine) and a small Aguilar set up, but let's see:-

Sire Marcus Miller V7
Roland Bass Cube 120XL
Zoom B3 but I have various pedals available to me from my guitar board (Keeley, Xotic, TC)

I'm looking to learn from you guys and interact more. I'd love to develop a strong, rolling fingerstyle as I currently play with a pick, which is fine, but I also use more of a guitarist's hybrid approach and introduce both pick and fingers for things like octaves - it looks odd but it's effective and works!

It was lovely meeting some of you at the SE Bass Bash '17 and it's exciting at 53 taking on a new discipline and I'm enjoying the ride.

Cheers,
Cos

Welcome Cos.

There's no need to apologise for lurking but it is nice of you to join in. It's good to be able to do both finger style and plectrum. I'd love to do the hybrid thing sometimes though. I may work up to that.

I'd suggest some finger exercises with a metronome or drum machine. If you do three frets going from string to string and repeat up, down and sideways you will learn how to keep the [i]one-two-one-two-one-two[/i] on your picking hand independent of your fretting hand so that it doesn't matter what your fret hand does. If you can feel comfortable with that you can introduce your thumb or another finger and build up from that.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1506368932' post='3378316']
Nice to meet you at the SE Bash Cos.

Another Greek member - little do they know about our plan involving a wooden horse.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out for the title of AndyJR's next build thread... "A hollow bodied build... and it's a BIGGIE!"