Why become a member? ×

Any news on the Trace ELF?

la bam

Mick (the Greek) brought his to the bass bash on Saturday. I didn't play it, but I did a bit of amp fiddling when people were. It's actually not bad. Tonally it's okay. Volume wise, it's not bad either. I would honestly say it's not enough to play in a band with a cymbal happy drummer or 2 guitarists unless you're using a 6x10 which kind of defeats the purpose of using an amp that you need an electron microscope to see as its so small.

I'd say, if you're doing a jazz gig or some kind of acoustic folk gig, it's great. If you're bag is metal or hard rock, you're stuffed unless you're using a massive cab as it won't have any headroom even if you used a topnotch 2x12 like Barefaced or Bergantino.

So, to answer the age old basschat question "is it any good for metal?" The answer is a resounding "no."

It's a very inventive bit of kit, but it's just not for me. I just need more juice from any amp I'd buy and you won't get it from the Elf.

I'm planning on playing it for a few weeks before doing a review. Since Saturday I've introduced a couple of pedals to the equation and I'm happier with the Elf than I was on it's own.

I did have some positive feedback from BCers at the SE Bash - many were surprised at the volume from such a small package.

I'll probably do a review later this week.

I bit the bullet and bought one a couple of weeks back (like The Greek I had originally ordered one from BD, but grew tired of waiting and got a refund a few months back).

I’ve only used it for one rehearsal so far. In a very small rehearsal room, I was stood tight upto my Barefaced Super Twin so unfortunately couldn’t get a proper listen. However, first impressions (and subsequent bedroom playing) were that it’s a bit ‘bass heavy’. Rolling the bass back to 9 o’clock and the mids up to 3 o’clock gave far more clarity and far less boom using my Fender P with ‘62 Custom Shop pickup.

No rehearsals for a couple of weeks now and I dare say that in a different room I’ll be back here with different results. As far as volume goes it seems that it’ll certainly cover my needs i.e. rehearsals and small gigs with 2 guitars and drums and as a back up to my main TE SMX.

Be interested to hear other users thoughts 😁

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1506346662' post='3378063']
Mike Brooks gigged his a couple of weeks ago and had nothing but praise for it. To the extent that I'm considering one.
[/quote]

This, and from playing with Mick's on Saturday, are making me seriously consider one. It's my birthday next week so perhaps I'll treat myself!

I'll review it now if you like.
It's small, green and black and cheap. You plug a bass in one end and a speaker in the other. It can go quiet or loud, bassy (class D bass) or trebley. No-one on here will ever use it outside of the world's smallest pub cos we all need ten million (real) watts to give us the heft and headroom we require. It WILL allow you to play a Gibson EBO and sound like Chris Squire cos it's all in the fingers.
Sorted :D :D :D

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1506346662' post='3378063']
Mike Brooks gigged his a couple of weeks ago and had nothing but praise for it. To the extent that I'm considering one.
[/quote]

Review will be in the next issue of the mag. Bought my own one, used on a couple of 4-piece band gigs with a very 'volume intensive' guitarist, matched with an EBS Neo 2x12 and Status Empathy...haven't had to push it past 11 o' clock yet....the band were asking me to turn down and Silvia witnessed my first gig with one...it didn't lack volume or poke in a large-ish pub with the same band. All I can say is test one for yourself.

[quote name='Mike Brooks' timestamp='1506360404' post='3378229']
Review will be in the next issue of the mag. Bought my own one, used on a couple of 4-piece band gigs with a very 'volume intensive' guitarist, matched with an EBS Neo 2x12 and Status Empathy...haven't had to push it past 11 o' clock yet....the band were asking me to turn down and Silvia witnessed my first gig with one...it didn't lack volume or poke in a large-ish pub with the same band. All I can say is test one for yourself.
[/quote]

I was indeed at Kalabash's gig in Ealing Broadway, and both Happy Jack and I can confirm that Mike's bass - through the ELF and a 2x12 cab - sounded crisp and with no shortage of volume, and wasn't drowned by any of the other instruments. This was in a large pub, with a dancing crowd on the floor within minutes of the band getting on stage. :)

Edited by bluejay

They're usually around 85% efficient, so that's about 15 watts of power per 100 watts of output power to get rid of in the form of heat. The lower power ones can get away with convection cooling. With a fan, you can use smaller, lighter heatsinks, so shrinking the footprint of the amp.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1506368277' post='3378308']
I was indeed at Kalabash's gig in Ealing Broadway, and both Happy Jack and I can confirm that Mike's bass - through the ELF and a 2x12 cab - sounded crisp and with no shortage of volume, and wasn't drowned by any of the other instruments. This was in a large pub, with a dancing crowd on the floor within minutes of the band getting on stage. :)
[/quote]

Yup, very clear sound, plenty of volume, no need for an enormous cab - though Mike tells me that the EBS is very sensitive. I reckon I could plug that Elf through my Barefaced Compact + Midget rig (both Gen #1) and be perfectly happy at any pub gig. I prefer the TH350, and I really love my new (pre-owned) Shuttle 9.2, but I can't fit either of them in the back pocket of my jeans, as Mike demonstrated to us.

How often any of us would find it useful to carry a 300W Class D head in the back pocket of our jeans is, obviously, a moot point. What the tininess means is that this is a superb Plan B, an excellent back-up head in case one's TH350 or Shuttle decides to crash and burn.

Mike's bass sound (playing a rather nice Status) was very punchy and cut through beautifully. It probably helps that he so obviously knows what he's doing with his bass and his rig .... I saw very little knobbery going on, he just started and finished with a great tone.

The only thing I felt was lacking was that quality variously described as heft, girth, or oomph. There was no shortage of volume and we could hear every note, but there seemed little weight behind those notes. As Zappa (or someone) said, this is "dancing about architecture" and probably ranks as mere quibbling.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1506411490' post='3378456']
The only thing I felt was lacking was that quality variously described as heft, girth, or oomph. There was no shortage of volume and we could hear every note, but there seemed little weight behind those notes.
[/quote]

The only point I'd raise about that (thanks for the kind words by the way :) ) is that bass is fitted with 40-100s as opposed to something heavier but regarding oomph, I'd counter that with what sort of tonal performance should we expect from a unit that size? It will never compete with larger valve-equipped amps and in terms of Class D comparisons, in a pub, or pubs, like that, it's more than capable to do that job, just a case of whether you want to carry something bigger/heavier to do that job. After years of thrashing my back, for gigs like this, the Elf does a very good job and I'm quite happy to use one on gigs like this. I'll use other amps for other types of gigs that need something else but punters who don't care about the gear I'm using will always notice 'loudness' compared to 'quality of tone' all day, whereas I'd love a supreme bass tone over loudness. And as much as I love the tones of my other amps, anything that facilitates one journey to and from the car is a winner for me. Also, less setting up/breaking down time too! :)....maybe it's a 'getting older' thing....but I am smirking as the guitarist takes 4 journeys, carrying a hefty rack and large cab...just for starters!

I was initially playing mine "bare" - with no effects - since Saturday I've added a compressor and a Behringer BD121 modeller which means that the range of tones is wider and now I'm not far from the traditional trace sound. Many of us use effects so this may be the solution for those seeking a specific tone.

Trace may have limited the tone so that they can sell us the Transit effects unit too.

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TransitA"]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TransitB[/url]

Looking at this makes me think that I may have only bought half of what I needed.

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1506425155' post='3378588']
This sounds to me like an ideal little amp to keep in your gig-bag/box as a backup. Previously the GK MB200 seemed to have that covered but this one appears to be even smaller.
[/quote]

Indeed, I have both.....if the only the Elf had an Aux In, it would be almost perfect. But the GKMB200 is still fab, it's never let me down and I've done some spacious gigs with it.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1506425708' post='3378596']

Trace may have limited the tone so that they can sell us the Transit effects unit too.

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TransitA"]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TransitB[/url]

Looking at this makes me think that I may have only bought half of what I needed.
[/quote]

This is the first thing i said when i first saw the launch of the elf. It was looking like a rig in 3-4 different parts.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1506364586' post='3378266']
What is anyone's view on the fan noise from the unit?
[/quote]

That's my personal niggle with these small heads, it's mostly down to the quiet music that I play though.

I had a Markbass head that drove me mad with the fan noise. Also someone leant me a tiny SWR head for a jazz gig a couple of years ago, that was awful.