Why become a member? ×

One door closes - another opens

dmccombe7

After rehearsing for nearly a year (various drummer changes) the guitarist in the band decides his heart isn't in it anymore and has left.
Too far for me to travel along country roads (1hr 15mins each way) to start again with a new guitarist as the style of music wasn't really what i've always played but it was enjoyable.

That said i was approached the other day about auditioning for another heavy rock band which is more my thing. They've played various biker rallies and a few good gigs in various other venues so looks promising.
6 songs to learn for the audition in a couple of weeks including Stargazer by Rainbow. Whoo Hoo :biggrin:

One door closes - another opens as they say.

Dave

Its more a given at the audition. Probably more to do with how we gel as a band kind of thing. I know the band and they know my background.

Stargazer
Smoke on Water
Ace of Spades
Enter Sandman
Fool for your Loving (Mendosa slightly faster rockier version)
Kill the King.

Motorhead song i'm not so sure its a good song to do but easy to play altho i'm a fingerstyle bassist rather than pick.

The band are reforming after a year off due to illness. They are looking to change their set to suit me and another guitarist so room for scope i think.

Dave

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1506362327' post='3378242']
Approached to join another band ? Very nice

Good luck !
[/quote]

I've had that a few times as i'm on Bandmix and get people calling or txt messages.
Think my current band was same. Came out of the blue.

I'm not claiming to be that good but maybe just a lack of bassists in our area ? :)
Wasn't always like that. I used to have to chase auditions. Only failed one tho for a celtic rock band. When i went in for the audition and before i even set up the female singer and female fiddle player in the band both said to me that the guy in before me was perfect for the job. Kind of put a damper on it and didn't realy give it my best shot after that. Didn't get it but they contacted me a year later and asked if i was still interested.
You can guess what my answer was. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1506362850' post='3378250'] I've had that a few times as i'm on Bandmix and get people calling or txt messages. Think my current band was same. Came out of the blue. I'm not claiming to be that good but maybe just a lack of bassists in our area ? :) Wasn't always like that. I used to have to chase auditions. Only failed one tho for a celtic rock band. When i went in for the audition and before i even set up the female singer and female fiddle player in the band both said to me that the guy in before me was perfect for the job. Kind of put a damper on it and didn't realy give it my best shot after that. Didn't get it but they contacted me a year later and asked if i was still interested. You can guess what my answer was. :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave [/quote]

You must be doing something right (despite what celtic rock bands think !).

More power to your elbow !

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506361650' post='3378237']
Wishing you all the best. The opportunity to play in a heavy rock outfit hasn't cropped up for me. Given that's what I grew up listening to, its a little odd really.

I'm sure you'll smash it. What are the other songs?
[/quote]

Do you do deps? If you do, i may be able to help you scratch the rock itch (ive got 60+ gigs booked till next Xmas and am going to need to dep a few out to save my marriage!!!)

I've only depped once for a Glam Rock band and had to learn 34 songs in 3 weeks, no rehearsals only to find out after the first week that they played some of the songs in different keys. Back to the beginning and redid the ones i needed to do so not my ideal way to enjoy playing.
Too much like hard work.

I prefer to rehearse with a band before gigging plus you are a wee bit far away for me i think. Pretty sure there will be guys down that way that would like to help you out tho.

Must admit you have tweaked my curiosity with that post :)
GLWTW (Good Luck With The Wife) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

The opportunity to play in a heavy rock outfit hasn't cropped up for me. Given that's what I grew up listening to, its a little odd really.
[/quote]

me too, played in mostly original bands in the 80s and 90s and again now but none were heavy.

My current band is acoustic-y, gentle songs mainly, alt country-ish originals, but so far I have snuck in a Sir Paul-ish melodic bassline, a John Paul Jones bluesy rundown a la Lemon Song, and a few Geddy chromatic runs. Currently trying to fit in a Geezer -like run a la Bassically :)

Good luck with the audition, own it :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1506362446' post='3378243']
Stargazer
Smoke on Water
Ace of Spades
Enter Sandman
Fool for your Loving (Mendosa slightly faster rockier version)
Kill the King.

[/quote]

Sounds like my kinda gig, we do the slower, lower version of Fool For Your Loving which I love!

Have fun!!!!

I used to play the older Murray version of Fool for your Loving in another band as i'm a huge fan of Neil Murray. He was a big influence for me when i started playing.
I still enjoy the faster version but it doesn't have all the fiddly bits Neil used to ad-lib each time.

Still should be fun.

Dave

Sounds very good indeed,enjoy.

I had a very similar experience when I quit my old rockabilly band & was actually planning on packing in all together as I'd totally lost interest in playing.
Then out of the blue I got a call from an old friend asking if I'd like to join his black sabbath tribute band!
My dream gig & I absolutely love it,never thought I'd be lucky enough to actually play what I really wanted too.
Best of luck with it to you.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1506417764' post='3378510']
Sounds very good indeed,enjoy.

I had a very similar experience when I quit my old rockabilly band & was actually planning on packing in all together as I'd totally lost interest in playing.
Then out of the blue I got a call from an old friend asking if I'd like to join his black sabbath tribute band!
My dream gig & I absolutely love it,never thought I'd be lucky enough to actually play what I really wanted too.
Best of luck with it to you.
[/quote]

Brilliant. I love a happy ending. I'm just happy that there are always people looking for other musicians. Sounds like your story is pretty similar to my own experience in bands.
I've had mates contact me to help with their originals material or i've had queries thru Bandmix and from friends of ex-band members contact thru the years.
I've also gone thru periods where i did have to search the ads tho. Its not always been easy finding a band.

As Chris_b said above "Never stop networking"

It would be better if some of the bands actually got to doing a few gigs before it falls apart. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506365519' post='3378272']
Yes, I do mate. PM me.
[/quote]

Will do tonight when I get in
Apologies for the thread hijack
Here's us https://www.lemonrock.com/yellowhouse1?page=gigs
Martha and the Muffins to Metallica via Ozzy and the Police

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1506429554' post='3378654']
Will do tonight when I get in
Apologies for the thread hijack
Here's us [url="https://www.lemonrock.com/yellowhouse1?page=gigs"]https://www.lemonroc...ouse1?page=gigs[/url]
Martha and the Muffins to Metallica via Ozzy and the Police
[/quote]

No sweat and hope the dep thing works out with Hiram.
Its nice to know the thread helped someone out.

You see BC is just a great place to hang out. You just never know what's gonna come out of it. :lol:

Dave

The opportunity to play in a heavy rock outfit hasn't cropped up for me.
[/quote]

I still feel that I inadvertently elbowed you out of the way with Wayward Sons although it is pretty much sidelined now, more's the pity.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1506693203' post='3380481']
Good luck Dave and let us know once you start gigging. Always happy to support local bands (and hopefully find new venues into the process).

Graeme
[/quote]

Oddly enough Graeme the guitarist lives in Forth :lol:
I only know his 1st name tho as Dave or more commonly in Forth "Dov"

I'll keep you posted although you might see it on FB as i follow your band too. Meant to get to your Hamilton gig Stonehouse but something came up and couldn't make it so keep me posted and here's hoping.

Dave