Why become a member? ×

SOLD
£1

tom1946

It seems to me that there is a resurgence of sellers putting 'SOLD' at the end of the thread rather than in the title where it can be easily seen. This means that when reading a thread all the way through only to find the item has been sold!! Very frustrating.

I've had a few of those recently and it's irritating.

Can this be pinned? Or even altered to look like the 'items wanted' headers?

Tom.

(and breathe) B)

Good afternoon, Tom...

We (the Mods...) are on the case, and have been chasing this up for quite some time. There are really two issues here: firstly, as you point out, those who post 'Sold' in their topic, but don't add 'Sold' (or 'Withdrawn', or 'Traded'; those are the only three permitted 'code' words' admitted...) to the title; worse still, for us, are those that remove the title completely, instead of simply ADDING the 'code' word to their title. Sold, OK, but what was it..?
Whenever we come across these anomalies we take it up with the OP, to remind them of the Marketplace rules and etiquette. Most folks understand and comply; there are always those few recalcitrant ones that recidivate; we have stronger methods available to us that we're loth to use, but sometimes needs must.
For my part, I systematically go through all the 'Open' ads, looking for ads that have got 'Sold' in the topic, but not in the title. Believe me when I say it's a thankless, lacklustre task which takes up quite considerable time, but always throws up older ads that have sold since my last trawl. So much the better for the Seller, but ADDING 'Sold' to the title makes life so much better for all. After all, it's in the interests of every Seller to have up-to-date, pertinent information in the Marketplace, inciting Buyers to browse through and find bargains, isn't it..?
I really don't see what more could be done, within the techniques available to us, and without becoming overbearing (we don't want to become too much like the BC Police, despite what some may think..!).
Thanks for posting; hope this helps future successful Sellers to understand and comply, for the good of all; meanwhile...
Have a nice day
Douglas

Just for the record, your 'rant' post is, itself, in breach of the Marketplace rules, and as such, will now be moved to a more suitable section...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1506429542' post='3378652']
Thank you Douglas, I'm sorry I breached regulations, 'cough'

I for one appreciate all of your efforts.

Tom.
[/quote]

No need for gushing thanks (although appreciated, all the same...) a simple (large...) cheque in the post does wonders for our morale. ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1506432797' post='3378678']
Why don't you flag the posts that bother you?

A problem shared...
[/quote]

Although the Reporting of offensive or out of order posts is encouraged, in this instance it would serve only to increase the number of Reports for little effect, as we (the Mods...) already see, and deal with, posts of the nature complained about here. It's not very visible, I'll grant, but the Reports are no [i]more [/i]visible, so...
A nice thought, and if it made any tangible difference would be welcomed, but I doubt its effect on the perpetrators of these heinous deeds. Reporting is, though, by far the best way of bringing stuff to the attention of the Mods and Admins; all Reports are quickly seen and treated diligently.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1506432797' post='3378678']
Why don't you flag the posts that bother you?

A problem shared...
[/quote]

Good idea, how do I do that?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506443452' post='3378797']
Although the Reporting of offensive or out of order posts is encouraged, in this instance it would serve only to increase the number of Reports for little effect, as we (the Mods...) already see, and deal with, posts of the nature complained about here. It's not very visible, I'll grant, but the Reports are no [i]more [/i]visible, so...
A nice thought, and if it made any tangible difference would be welcomed, but I doubt its effect on the perpetrators of these heinous deeds. Reporting is, though, by far the best way of bringing stuff to the attention of the Mods and Admins; all Reports are quickly seen and treated diligently.

Will do in future, (cheque's in the post) No, I'm lying :lol:
[/quote]

It IS bloody annoying. How long does it take to type 'SOLD'? I file this miserable behaviour along with those who can't be bothered to leave feedback (even though YOU left feedback for THEM) and those who profess an interest in an item one has up for sale, then offers no further communication - thus sending your item to Limbo for NO GOOD REASON. GAHHH!! :sad:

Whilst we're on the subject, am I allowed a small (well, medium, really...) rant..? Please..? Not too long, I promise, although... Oh, thank you; here I go, then...

There are a number of ads for multiple items (which is fine...), where the title contains the word 'Sold' referring to only one or two of the items, not the whole lot..! Result: I'm searching through for 'key' words, and these ads trip every time, but are not really candidates for closure. Could I respectfully suggest that this practice cease immediately..? If the ad is to be kept, how about substituting 'Gone', or 'Bought'; anything except 'Sold'..? Reserve that for signalling the final closure of the whole topic, that it be closed completely.
If anyone recognises this in their own ads, I'd be grateful if they could pop along to their ad and amend the title in this way. My 'housekeeping' would be that much simplified (it's already quite an arduous task...).
Thanks in advance for bearing this in mind for future posts, and be doubly thanked for going back and 'correcting' any open Sales ads of the sort.
Rant over; stand down, men, and carry on.

Edited by Dad3353