Why become a member? ×

Do I need my subs ( pa advice)

KingPrawn

I'm getting really tired of lugging around our rcf sub. I run the sub and 2 rcf art712's. We have vocals guitar ,bass, keys and drums running through it. My question is if I upgraded to a set of active 15's like rcf 715's would I still need a sub. We don't play massive venues pubs and social clubs. Any thoughts?

We use some 15" Full range Shermann cabs driven by a QSC something or other, and put everything through it when we need to, and its sounds very good. Mind you they are pretty heavy and a definite two man lift to get them on stands.

Never quite understood the need for subs. My idea of a good PA is that you don't know it's there (apart from the volume of course) and that's what we get from these cabs .

Subs are certainly dangerous in the wrong hands, but if used properly can do things a full range top just can't do. I would go as far to say that without having a sound engineer you shouldn't be using subs (unless you really know what you're doing). (But yes, they're a pain in the arse to lug around!) You absolutely only need one decent one for most rooms. I've said it before, but they are a lot easier to control if you have them on an aux/mon out than trying to use with the main outs with a crossover. There is no need for vocals or guitars to get anywhere near them.

Do you need subs? No. Are subs good? When used correctly, absolutely.

Subs add lows to the mix that you just can't get with tops. As mentioned before however, if you aren't good at mixing and dont know how to use gates and hpfs you are probably on a hiding to nothing.

As Pete says, a set of 735s or 745s will do a better job than most other speakers due to the large VCs on the horns that enable the woofer to take care of more of the low frequencies - which in laymans terms, for a lot of people will be enough for you to ditch the subs for the average pub or club gig. They are also light and easier to carry around than a pair of tops with one or two accompanying subs. Do a search on 735s and 745s - there's been a lot of discussions on their merits when used to replace other setups that did have a sub(s).

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1506442244' post='3378781']
You'll need to go to 735 or 745 imo, but it will sound great and you can sell all the existing kit.
[/quote]

We use 735s, and have subs, but don't always use them. The 735s are incredible. We play some big holiday parks and I'm always impressed how much they pump it when you get chance to turn them up.

Just one sub here also, a Mackie with RCF 315 tops. As said, if used badly they sound awful but we use ours with kick drum and a little Toms and a really small amount of bass, just enough to get that thump in the chest without muddying up the overall sound, and yes as above should probably be used with a seperate send. We also use the XAir 16 and it is fab.

Edited by skidder652003

We have used the EV zlx12's for yonks and never felt the need for subs , we occasion mic the kick, but not for any 'belt you in the guts' effects , just to be heard , mist of our stuff is covers based around the vocal or lead , we just need to let that shine most of the time and the slx12's work brilliantly for everything we throw at them

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1506890878' post='3381871']
Great to read your comments. After 20 years of lugging around subsI'm ditching them. Ive bought a pair of RCF 745's. I'll be selling all the sub tops and stands. Happy days. Cheers BC'ers
[/quote]
Do be sure to report back!