Why become a member? ×

Pedal Power Draw - Help Needed

Al Krow

Guys - grateful for your assistance with the following:

I've got a CIOCKS DC8, which is a great isolated power supply. My Two Notes le Bass is drawing 400mA from two 12V outputs and I'm making my B3N make do with 300mA.

Got a Source Audio Manta on it's way from one of the great and good of this forum pretty shortly, which I think has a 140mA draw and which I'm hoping I can keep happy with one of the remaining 100mA outputs (let me know if you think that's going to be a non starter?).

That is four of the six isolated outputs accounted for and just two left to go round 3 pedals, so I'm going to need to daisy a chain a couple of them.

So in terms of remaining pedals, I've got:
- Aguilar Filter Twin - I think this has a 20mA draw(?)
- COG T16
- Aguilar TLC compressor

Does anyone know what the current draw is for the COG T16 and Aggie TLC (I couldn't find on the net)?

Assuming that these each have modest current draw and can be daisy chained for < 100mA combined; any thoughts on which pedals will hum the least in terms of not having their own isolated power supply?

If all else fails I guess I could consider moving the DC8 on and upgrading to a DC10, but the difference in price between a second hand DC8 (albeit in mint condition!) and a new DC10 is surprisingly steep!

Cheers

AK

The Le Bass runs fine from a single 300mA output on my DC5. So that's one socket freed up right there!

Pretty sure I've used the Manta from a single 100mA socket too.

When it comes to the other fx, current draw should be really low on anything that is analog and doesn't have tubes. I routinely chain 3 or more off a single 100mA output, and I've never bothered to calculate beforehand. If it works, it works!

You will usually find that power supplies can dish out more than they are rated for and pedals use less than quoted in their manuals. I estimate that both sides probably add a safety margin of at least 20-50%.

Edited by dannybuoy

Cheers DB, I've gone for the easy option of limiting the Le Bass' draw to 300mA to free up an output for (your!) ex Manta which arrived safely via Royal Mail this morning (and for which many thanks!).

The amusing thing is I'm actually limited by the number of centre negative connection leads. Fortunately the Smooth Hound, which like the B3n needs a 300mA output and was being externally powered is a centre [i]positive[/i] connection (red lead in pic) so I've put that back into being powered by the Ciocks and the B3n is being powered separately instead by its own PSU.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1506508864' post='3379192']
Got some Royal Blood style fake guitar ready for this evening's shenanigans! Tender Octaver into the American Sound nails the RB tone, then the doubler recreates the fat sound they get from using multiple amps. Board is split 50/50 for 'guitar' and bass, with the guitar sound going to a mixer in stereo. Two compressors on board for different basses, although I may eventually restrict myself to one. Just using the Beta as a dark & dirty boost which works well into the bright sounding Darkglass amp. That might get replaced with the Green Russian though...

[/quote]

Btw - amazing pedal board DB, but I guess I would be expecting nothing less from you!

Well I defo can't compete with that, but here's my more modest offering which has been put together from scratch in 2017 and is now finally done!

Edited by Al Krow