Why become a member? ×

Why? I don't understand.

PawelG

So. It happened to me second time. First time - I ignored it and changed the strings to a new set. This is a second time and I need an explanation. If anyone could kindly provide that - would be greatly appreciated.

First time it happened, it was a Cimar P Bass - I've put a set of pretty much new Rotosound rounds on. Tuned it and... the A string is octave lower(?) it indicates "A" on the tuner and the tension is ok but it sounds octave lower.
Now, today - it's a P/J bass and I only took the neck off to adjust the truss rod a little and it happened again. And it's an A string too!
What is the reason behind it? I feel really dumb...

Edited by PawelG

It sounds like what you're hearing here is a stronger fundamental on the A string than the other strings. Generally speaking the dominant sound of a bass guitar string is the first harmonic which is an octave above the fundamental. Not sure why this would be though. Can you provide a link to an audio clip?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1506670900' post='3380245']
It sounds like what you're hearing here is a stronger fundamental on the A string than the other strings. Generally speaking the dominant sound of a bass guitar string is the first harmonic which is an octave above the fundamental. Not sure why this would be though. Can you provide a link to an audio clip?
[/quote]
I wish I could, I don't have any recording devices at the moment though.
I'll try to put the same strings on different bass and see what's up. Odd

I might have same problem, only on my Sandberg TM2. Only happens when I am using dunlop super bright string (was buy one get one free, so I bought 5 sets), it sounds like dead string. But when I put roto string on it, the problem gone, back to another set of dunlop, same sh*t happen.

There was a video (by overwater?) says if u got fender-ish bass, do not cut A string when changing string, but doesn't work on my Sandberg.

Just my story, hope someone can explain this, I don't play my sandberg much but this made me crazy.

Edited by wzz890831

[quote name='wzz890831' timestamp='1506679898' post='3380347']
I might have same problem, only on my Sandberg TM2. Only happens when I am using dunlop super bright string (was buy one get one free, so I bought 5 sets), it sounds like dead string. But when I put roto string on it, the problem gone, back to another set of dunlop, same sh*t happen.

There was a video (by overwater?) says if u got fender-ish bass, do not cut A string when changing string, but doesn't work on my Sandberg.

Just my story, hope someone can explain this, I don't play my sandberg much but this made me crazy.
[/quote]

I don't know what strings were on it when I got it, but definitely different to the other ones I had on the Cimar. I don't get it, the string was cut - bass was fine and the after little truss rod tweak - it goes funny. I usually don't cut the strings at all unless necessary. Now I've put a set of flats on and it's all good.

If it's really a dead string - maybe it's the inner core that slipped. But why is it an A string every time? And also, there was a tip somewhere about bending the end of the string with pliers to prevent the core slipping. Which was done on that set and it went funny anyway.

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1506680777' post='3380358']
But why is it an A string every time?
[/quote]

If I read you right, it's happened twice. So if it's coincidence, there's a 1 in 4 chance of it being the same the second time. Not horribly unlikely.

I've installed that set of strings on another bass - P bass also and it works fine.

Bolo, hear it without amplification. Didn't really plug it in as it sounded wrong.
Some basses have the truss rod adjustment screw at the bottom of the neck, and the only way you can adjust that is by taking the neck off... or unscrewing the pickguard sometimes but this bass doesn't allow it unfortunately.